RHuff

Late Winter/Early Prespawn Patterns

I can usually get on my local lake near the end of March for my first few fishing trips of the new year. My lake usually averages water temperatures in the mid to upper 40s during this time period. I'm thinking about a good starting point in trying to locate some bass. I'm thinking this year, I'm gonna try to locate bass around the ledges that drop to deep water around the edges of spawning flats and any boulders or rocky banks that I can find near those areas. What do you guys look for in late winter/early spring when bass are just beginning to come up from winter? 

Around here (SC), in March bass could be anywhere from deep water pattern to making the beds, depending on weather. But They will usually be in the "staging" areas. Like the points or dropoffs near the spawning flats. They'll usually still be deeper, but a warm trend will bring them shallower and they'll be hungry. This actually begins in February here. A good bait for the deep ones seems to the lipless crank. If they're shallower, the spinnerbait and blade baits can be good. It's a great time to catch a big mama.

• Like 2

Early spring I look for warm Creek water flowing into the back of a cove somewhere. Unless of course the runoff is colder than the main river. Rising water, fish rise with it. Falling water, fish fall back out with. Stable conditions? Maybe fish the mouths of coves and work in or out depending on results 

late winter, late Feb/early March, swt in the mid/upper 40’s, main lake and secondary points, deep brush piles. but i’ve also found them quite shallow during a warming trend. i like afternoons.

• Like 3

You will have the BM 2019 Classic mid Mrach in TN.

My guess is it will be a pre spawn bite this year. 

Lots of rain so far and cold weather tends to keep the core water cooler then needed to move bass up, should be in the mid 50's.

Wait and see.

We are seeing some upward movement in SoCal now, just had 4 days of rain so things will change as the lake levels come up.

Tom

I like to find steep , south facing banks . Hit them in the afternoon when the sun has been on them for awhile . Parallel cast crawdad colored   crankbaits on said banks . Retrieve super slow . A good way to catch a big one .  I use an Arbogast Mudbug but any crank will probably work . It doesnt have to be a flat side , tight action lure   . A Bomber Model A should be a good choice .

• Like 3

Buck Brush 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Catt said:

Buck Brush 😉

Go on.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RHuff said:

Go on.... 

Buck Brush grows in hard bottom areas, find these areas near creek channels & it's on!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 7:40 AM, RHuff said:

I can usually get on my local lake near the end of March for my first few fishing trips of the new year. My lake usually averages water temperatures in the mid to upper 40s during this time period. I'm thinking about a good starting point in trying to locate some bass. I'm thinking this year, I'm gonna try to locate bass around the ledges that drop to deep water around the edges of spawning flats and any boulders or rocky banks that I can find near those areas. What do you guys look for in late winter/early spring when bass are just beginning to come up from winter? 

Early Spring has always been a difficult time for me. I’m shorebound and fish ponds so it’s a pretty different situation from being on a boat in a large lake. 

That being said, I have had the most success fishing around shallow cover that is close to deep water. There is a large beaver home on one bank that is very close to the deepest part of this large pond I fish and I have caught good bass around it in the early Spring and late Fall. Anywhere bass can quickly move between deep water and shallower cover/structure is what I would be looking for. 

I like a jerkbait for finding fish early in the Spring. 

• Like 1

I like to fish in deeper water with rip-rap nearby.  In the winter these areas can pick up timber that has been floating around if they're near a spillway.

• Like 1

Do you guys think rip rap is best in the mornings or in the afternoons after the sun has hit it?

17 hours ago, RHuff said:

Do you guys think rip rap is best in the mornings or in the afternoons after the sun has hit it?

Afternoon

• Like 1

^^^This.  It gives the rocks a chance to warm up.

So flats and drains during the early morning during low light and rip rap in the afternoon after rocks have had a chance to warm up? 

1 hour ago, RHuff said:

So flats and drains during the early morning during low light and rip rap in the afternoon after rocks have had a chance to warm up? 

I just think that time of year fishing is better in the afternoon , period. 

Pre spawn I always start with major points, the long tapering points that form the mouths of creek arms on the main lake. Major points are the most obvious place and for some unknown reason get under fished. Everyone tends to run up, stop and make a few casts with jerk baits and move on into the creek arms targeting secondary points.

The key to fishing pre spawn major points is working the entire point from all directions starting uphill.

Tom