Jump to content
pauldconyers

Swapping out crank bait treble hooks

Recommended Posts

I'm a big fan of these "short" TG76NP-BN Mustad hooks KVD slings to upgrade hooks on their red eye shad lipless and square bills. I am not getting into crank bait fishing and have bought some 5XD, 6XD and 8XD (I have a Strike King problem LOL) and want to upgrade the hooks on them. For these 3 lures what hook sizes do I need to buy for them?

rsz_20190124_180818.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 6XD and the 8XD get the same size hooks that I put on their 1/2 oz lipless cranks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to put a round bend on those baits personally but if you're going short shank EWGs you could go #1 on the 6XD and 1/0 on the 8XD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I like to put a round bend on those baits personally but if you're going short shank EWGs you could go #1 on the 6XD and 1/0 on the 8XD.

What is the thought process with that? Not saying you are wrong, just asking the difference and why that would make sense for that lure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big billed baits are usually against the bottom and fish pin them down to the bottom. Short shank hooks that are tucked up tight to the belly of the bait leave little reach to get them when they do that. Plus the smaller gap doesn't help if they eat it like that either. A regular shank round bend has more reach and is more likely to hook a fish when it does that. All a theory of mine, but that's why I do it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Big billed baits are usually against the bottom and fish pin them down to the bottom. Short shank hooks that are tucked up tight to the belly of the bait leave little reach to get them when they do that. Plus the smaller gap doesn't help if they eat it like that either. A regular shank round bend has more reach and is more likely to hook a fish when it does that. All a theory of mine, but that's why I do it. 

You mentioned it being a theory of yours, does that mean there is a more prevailing choice anglers make in this situation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, pauldconyers said:

You mentioned it being a theory of yours, does that mean there is a more prevailing choice anglers make in this situation?

I think that round bends are probably more common with big, deep running baits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Columbia Craw said:

4XD   #4

5XD   #4

6XD   #2

8XD   #2

You're the man. I spent a long time last summer trying to figure out the right combinations. Would you think the sizes would change much with a Gama g finesse treble hook (Aaron Martens's hooks)? They aren't short shanks, but I've read great reviews. I just would hate to invest and have the wrong size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Columbia Craw said:

4XD   #4

5XD   #4

6XD   #2

8XD   #2

With the Mustad short shank EWG, they are made to use a size larger than normal hooks. So if the normal hooks is a #4, get a #2. If it is #2, get a #1 or 1/0

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, pauldconyers said:

I'm a big fan of these "short" TG76NP-BN Mustad hooks KVD slings to upgrade hooks on their red eye shad lipless and square bills. I am not getting into crank bait fishing and have bought some 5XD, 6XD and 8XD (I have a Strike King problem LOL) and want to upgrade the hooks on them. For these 3 lures what hook sizes do I need to buy for them?

rsz_20190124_180818.jpg

I'm guessing the not is a typo for now.

 

Cabelas had the pictured ones in the 11pk last week @$3.88 did you happen to catch the sale? Got me 3 packs. I wish they would have had other sizes on sale.

 

Dang hooks can get pricey! I'm still looking around to find some short shank #4's at a good price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rosshilk said:

You're the man. I spent a long time last summer trying to figure out the right combinations. Would you think the sizes would change much with a Gama g finesse treble hook (Aaron Martens's hooks)? They aren't short shanks, but I've read great reviews. I just would hate to invest and have the wrong size.

Don't make a big investment, just put them on one lure and try them for a day/week/month to see how you like them.

 

Also those Mustad's are extra strong while the Gama G finesse are light wire. The Gama's are sweet hooks but you kind of have an apples and oranges thing if you are comparing the two.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if I am looking for some round bends to upgrade on a 6XD any specific you'd point me towards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pauldconyers said:

Well if I am looking for some round bends to upgrade on a 6XD any specific you'd point me towards?

If you want regular trebles I like the Owner ST 36's, if you want a short shank I like Gamakatsu Short Shank, Round Bend, Magic Eye trebles. As someone else mentioned, with short shank hooks go up a size, so I would go with a 1 on 6XD or a 2 in a regular size treble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The VMC 9651's are a nice round bend at a reasonable price.  Not as sharp as the more expensive hooks, but I've used them for years on everything.  It's short shank, 1x wire hook, so you can upsize same as the KVD's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Berkley Fusion 19 hooks. I have several different styles from them. I changed the trebles out on a popper to them and super sharp low cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe already said it and I missed it but does anyone may short shank treble hooks (so I can up the size of my hooks) that are round bend style?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jrob78 said:

If you want a short shank I like Gamakatsu Short Shank, Round Bend, Magic Eye trebles. 

 

10 hours ago, pauldconyers said:

Maybe already said it and I missed it but does anyone may short shank treble hooks (so I can up the size of my hooks) that are round bend style?

VMC and a few other companies makes them. Go to TW and look at their treble hooks, they all say what they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See my note above.  VMC 9651 is a nice round bend.  Heavy wire, short shank.  Sometimes a little problem with sharpness, but I've used them for years.

 

All the hook suppliers have them.  You can also buy in bulk if you hunt some.

 

The gammies are probably a better hook, but cost 3x the VMC's.

Edited by mcipinkie
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put #2 Owner ST36s on my 6XDs, great hooks.

Image may contain: one or more people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2019 at 9:24 PM, Bluebasser86 said:

Big billed baits are usually against the bottom and fish pin them down to the bottom. Short shank hooks that are tucked up tight to the belly of the bait leave little reach to get them when they do that. Plus the smaller gap doesn't help if they eat it like that either. A regular shank round bend has more reach and is more likely to hook a fish when it does that. All a theory of mine, but that's why I do it. 

 

This raises a question I'm curious about -- what other trebled baits would it be better NOT to put these short-shank triple-grips on, and why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 3:58 PM, Jrob78 said:

If you want regular trebles I like the Owner ST 36's, if you want a short shank I like Gamakatsu Short Shank, Round Bend, Magic Eye trebles. As someone else mentioned, with short shank hooks go up a size, so I would go with a 1 on 6XD or a 2 in a regular size treble.

I am really looking hard at these short shank Gammy round Magic eye trebles you suggested. I certainly understand and like the idea of being able to upgrade the size of the hooks but on deeper cranks like this are there reasons why you would NOT want to do this? Is there a reason why a standard shank hook like the Owner ST-36 make more sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, pauldconyers said:

I am really looking hard at these short shank Gammy round Magic eye trebles you suggested. I certainly understand and like the idea of being able to upgrade the size of the hooks but on deeper cranks like this are there reasons why you would NOT want to do this? Is there a reason why a standard shank hook like the Owner ST-36 make more sense?

I really feel like short shank hooks shine on smaller baits that come with smaller hooks and baits like square bills that you fish through cover. 

 

With big deep diving crankbaits I normally just use a normal shank hook, like the Owner ST 36 or Gamakatsu black nickel EWG hooks. Those baits already come with big hooks so I don't feel like upsizing makes that much difference. Just my opinion though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×