EWREX

Dobyns Fury Crankbait Rod

I'm looking to pickup a new crankbait stick for this upcoming season. I current have an Enigma 7'2 MH. It feels kinda flimsy and I do not feel confident throwing heavier crankbaits on it.

Almost all of my other rods are Dobyns which i absolutely love. Does anyone have any experience with their 7' MH crankbait rod? Is it long enough to bomb some decent weighted baits out far? I know it's rated for 1/4-1oz and I just want to be comfortable fishing lighter baits AND pushing the rod to it's highest rating. From squarebills to deep divers like a 6XD.

in my opinion, using the same rod to throw shallow squarebills, and 6XD's is a tough one. I personally own a pair of Fury 705CB's. Also own a Champion 764CB RM. I have not used the Furys yet, but i know what to expect. I have owned the 705CB models in the Dobyns lineup before (Champions). The fury "feels" very similiar to the Champion 705CB's. I plan on throwing med depth (6-12ft) cranks on my 705CB's. I would not even think about throwing a 6XD on them though. Not enough rod in my opinion. The 764CB RM would be a better choice, or the 765CB

• Like 1

Just now, PolarKraft195Pro said:

in my opinion, using the same rod to throw shallow squarebills, and 6XD's is a tough one. I personally own a pair of Fury 705CB's. Also own a Champion 764CB RM. I have not used the Furys yet, but i know what to expect. I have owned the 705CB models in the Dobyns lineup before (Champions). The fury "feels" very similiar to the Champion 705CB's. I plan on throwing med depth (6-12ft) cranks on my 705CB's. I would not even think about throwing a 6XD on them though. Not enough rod in my opinion. The 764CB RM would be a better choice, or the 765CB

That is what my thought's and main concerns were. Since I am a co-angler tournament fisherman, I'm trying not to carry 7 rods with me with two separate crankbait rods. Thanks for the info, very helpful!

I have the Fury 705cb. It is good for squarebills up to medium divers but it is too whippy for deep diving cranks.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, LonnieP said:

I have the Fury 705cb. It is good for squarebills up to medium divers but it is too whippy for deep diving cranks.

Just the info I'm looking for, thanks dude!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PolarKraft195Pro said:

in my opinion, using the same rod to throw shallow squarebills, and 6XD's is a tough one.

Yeah, cause fishing a squarebill is very different than cranking and is best done with different rods, lines and reels. 

I can't imagine fishing a squarebill with a cranking rod and light line.

1 hour ago, reason said:

Yeah, cause fishing a squarebill is very different than cranking and is best done with different rods, lines and reels. 

I can't imagine fishing a squarebill with a cranking rod and light line.

i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not lol

I also bought a FR705CB for crankbaits. 99.9 % of my fishing is in shallow waters.

51 minutes ago, EWREX said:

i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not lol

Dead serious.

Square bills get a faster, stouter, shorter rod, something like I fish medium sized plastics or larger JBs, and 15-20 lb mono, certainly nothing resembling a cranking stick. A spongy rod around wood cover and certainly grass is just a headache waiting to happen with a square bill.

Cranking on the other hand, longer softer rod with a slower reel and 8-12 lb mono. I have 2 cranking rods, one for mid sized mid running baits, and another beefier stick for larger, deeper diving cranks.

Anyone who thinks it's a good idea to fish square bills and CBs on the same rod, hasn't fished both much, or is doing something different with them in a niche situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, reason said:

Dead serious.

Square bills get a faster, stouter, shorter rod, something like I fish medium sized plastics or larger JBs, and 15-20 lb mono, certainly nothing resembling a cranking stick. A spongy rod around wood cover and certainly grass is just a headache waiting to happen with a square bill.

Cranking on the other hand, longer softer rod with a slower reel and 8-12 lb mono. I have 2 cranking rods, one for mid sized mid running baits, and another beefier stick for larger, deeper diving cranks.

Anyone who thinks it's a good idea to fish square bills and CBs on the same rod, hasn't fished both much, or is doing something different with them in a niche situation. 

sounds good, i keep that in mind!

38 minutes ago, reason said:

Dead serious.

Same here, squarebills are thrown on a 6'6 medium heavy with 14-17 mono or fluoro, similar to what id skip a senko with

14 minutes ago, CroakHunter said:

Same here, squarebills are thrown on a 6'6 medium heavy with 14-17 mono or fluoro, similar to what id skip a senko with

perfect, i have a FR 663C