freelancer27

Please help me choose my first NRX! :)

Hi all,

I have decided to buy my first NRX and need a bit help deciding which one to go with. 

I would like to use the NRX from anything like a weightless Senko, Texas rigs, 1/4oz Jig and also Jerkbaits like a Vision 110.

NRX candidates are:

* 802C JWR
* 803C JWR
* 852C JWR
* 853C JWR

I also would like the rod to work in combination with my 2018 ZBONE Medium - Heavy, 7'6 (which is rated for 1/4 - 1oz lures). I am throwing 3/8- 5/8 oz Jigs and paddle tail swimbaits on it.

I would match the NRX with 10# Fluro and the Abu MGXTREME 2.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2 minutes ago, ResoKP said:

893C

I would prefer a shorter rod, or is there a killer argument to go with the 893C?

Thanks

The NRX853C JWR would be a choice for lighter weight bottom contact lures, don't think it would be a decent jerk bait rod as it has is stiff upper section. I personally think NRX are over priced.

Tom

Just now, WRB said:

The NRX853C JWR would be a choice for lighter weight bottom contact lures, don't think it would be a decent jerk bait rod as it has is stiff upper section. I personally think NRX are over priced.

Tom

Thanks Tom!

Yeah, I am not paying full retail (25% less than that). I am wondering if the 853C is too overlapping with my ZBONE...

It might not be an nrx but I picked up a couple glx’s last season. First being the 894c and second being the 852c. That 852 is a sweet little rod. I’ve thrown hard jerks, soft jerks, 3/16-1/4oz jig plus trailer, weightless senko’s and t-rigs, 1/8oz t-rigs and shaky heads. I love that rod. I was actually in the market for the 853 when I stumbled across this at a great price. Very happy with it. Super soft but loads of power. Doesn’t make a great jerk rod but not terrible either. The 893c is the most popular for sure and once you try a longer rod for your purpose you won’t regret it. I wanted the 854 instead of the 894 but couldn’t pass the deal. I’m hooked on that rod now! I love the extra length for casting, controlling the fish, power in my hook set, and I even learned how to skip on that rod! I’m now wanting the nrx 893c for texas rigger senko’s, and deeper water smaller bait applications. 

• Like 1

I would go with the 853 if it were me and given the models you had listed. 

• Like 1

852.   I'd rather throw 1/4oz jigs on the 852 than fish jerkbaits on the 853.  I have an 803 spinning, and it's just too stiff for jerkbaits.  Your intended baits really make it a debatable choice.

• Like 1

I like the 803c.  I have it in the GLX.  It's a great rod.  It is a little stiff but it is great for jigs and weightless senkos.  I don't really think it would work well with jerkbaits.   The tip just doesn't have that much give to work a bait.  If I was going with a Loomis rod for jerkbaits, I like the 843c and 783c.  Both are great rods that can be used for anything.

Just a personal opinion, for jerkbaits like the Vision 110 you don't need that sensitive of a rod. The St Croix Avid 7' M Fast has worked great but really in the end my favorite is the G Loomis 783C (light, short length, soft tip, and easy hook sets).

• Like 1

For jerkbaits or treble hook lures you really would want to go with something shorter like a 6'6-7' with a more moderate tip for action. 

Fishing weightless senko's and finesse applications I wouldn't go with a rod over 7'1, Medium or Medium light, fast or ex-fast action. Preferably done with a spinning setup. 

But if I had to choose an NRX you listed for what you want to do, it would be the 852c. 

• Like 1

Yep,

handled both the 852 and the 853. The 852 will be my first NRX. It is quite a bit softer than the 853 (which is too close to my ZBONE). 

Just need to shop a bit around and the NRX will be mine! 

Thanks all for the guidance. 

• Like 1