BigBass'n_Harrison

Daiwa Tatula Elite 6'9 Skipping rod question

Hi, wondering if anybody has this rod and what are your thoughts on it? Im curious about it's lure rating and whether is can really go down to 1/4 oz or not. Is it's lower end more like 3/8? Any heavier than that and it's not really an option for me so I'm curious. 

Thanks! 

22 hours ago, BigBass'n_Harrison said:

Im curious about it's lure rating and whether is can really go down to 1/4 oz or not. 

I throw 1/8, 3/16, even 1/10th ounce lures on my MH rod all the time with no problem. I don't have that rod but I can confirm that you can definitely throw 1/4 ounce on it.

2 hours ago, EGbassing said:

I throw 1/8, 3/16, even 1/10th ounce lures on my MH rod all the time with no problem. I don't have that rod but I can confirm that you can definitely throw 1/4 ounce on it.

Alright thanks

2 hours ago, EGbassing said:

1/10 oz lures or a 1/10 oz peice of lead with a hook and soft plastic bait that weighs over a 1/4 oz total?

4 hours ago, BaitFinesse said:

1/10 oz lures or a 1/10 oz peice of lead with a hook and soft plastic bait that weighs over a 1/4 oz total?

1/10th oz. jigheads with a small ned rig soft plastic on the back. Still much less than 1/4 with the soft plastic on it.

15 minutes ago, EGbassing said:

1/10th oz. jigheads with a small ned rig soft plastic on the back. Still much less than 1/4 with the soft plastic on it.

You'll be surprised how much a 1/10 oz jighead and TRD will weigh.  Last time I weighed a weighed 1/10 oz weedless Shroomz head and 3 inches of a Hula Stick it came out to almost a 1/4 oz.

8 minutes ago, BaitFinesse said:

You'll be surprised how much a 1/10 oz jighead and TRD will weigh.  Last time I weighed a weighed 1/10 oz weedless Shroomz head and 3 inches of a Hula Stick it came out to almost a 1/4 oz.

Which is why I do my Ned rigs on my ML (1/16-1/2) rather than my UL (1/32-1/4). I prefer to have my lure weights towards the middle of the rod's rating rather than near the top where possible.

44 minutes ago, BaitFinesse said:

I'll test it with no lure on it tomorrow. It depends a lot on the reel though; my Fuego will backlash if I try to cast something really light on it but I can flick that 1/10 jighead/grub out there pretty far with my Shimano SLX.

2 minutes ago, EGbassing said:

I'll test it with no lure on it tomorrow. It depends a lot on the reel though; my Fuego will backlash if I try to cast something really light on it but I can flick that 1/10 jighead/grub out there pretty far with my Shimano SLX.

The Shimano SLX has pretty light weight stock spool and that helps a lot when casting lighter weight baits.  There are even light weight spools that will fit the Fuego that will allow you to cast really light baits.

• Like 1

That model will be really really fast for anything under 1/2 ounce if it's anything like the Andy Montgomery Elite 7'1" skipping model.

• Like 1

A TRD weighs about .14oz, I just weighed one.