Jump to content
wasabi_VA

Taking fish photos with my iPhone in the kayak?

Recommended Posts

Once in awhile I actually catch a fish worth taking a photograph. But this year I'm using my kayak more so I keep my iPhone in a little waterproof case like this in preparation for the inevitable wave, flip or drop into the water. I attach a retractable leash to it too. 

 

FbS0RJfl.jpg

 

The touch screen part works, but not great, so it can be fiddly to get a picture taken with one hand while holding the fish with the other hand. I watch an angler lady on youtube who uses voice commands with hers but her's is an Android that takes the pictures and apparently an iPhone will open the camera app but still requires you to touch the button.

 

Curious if any of you have a good system down that is quick and easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IPhone 7 and above are waterproof. No real need for the pouch. If you have a 6 or below I would suggest getting a Lifeproof brand case. This will protect the phone should it get wet or submerged.

 

It can be difficult taking pics with your phone while in a kayak. I find taking multiple pics of the same fish helps. 

 

Same fish different pics to give some perspective.

 

3-EC74623-D76-F-40-EE-8947-745-DEC48-A5-F26-DC909-02-C5-4-C85-B745-A66-A392-E47-8-A8325-BE-56-DA-4227-B691-AB1149-EF10-D

 

 Sometimes no matter how hard you try you are not getting all of the fish in the pic. At that point a vid of the release helps.

EE6-F8-A76-7-F16-4-CED-9-FF5-7-E5479-CF9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use similar pouch (as in OP) for my waterproof Galaxy.   I wear it around my neck 100% of the time that I am in my kayak.  Dropping it over the side is a bigger concern than getting it a little wet.  Pics are more than good enough for CPR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Lifeproof Fre and a Ram X-Grip mount.  See lower left:

11951237_10206586748920595_2518069384825

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought this for my phone on my kayak.  I hate having mine in a pouch or anything else.  This just attaches to my phone with my cover on it already.  I clip the lanyard to my vest and I don't have to worry about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a coincidence. I take this phone on 100+ boat/kayak trips over the past 3 years and no problems. Today I do a little bank fishing and drop it off an overflow drain into 10' of water. Sonofabitch! I couldn't find it with my fishing magnet either. It was time to upgrade it anyway so I will be getting a replacement iPhone 8 I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an iPhone 6s and used a Lifeproof Nuud case. At the time, Lifeproof made an orange lifejacket the case fit into.

 

I upgraded to an Xr and it fits the lifejacket without a case. 

 

They’re tough to find now, but I’ve seen knock-offs on the ‘interweb’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting an iPhone 8 to replace my iPhone 7 I just lost. These are not waterproof but appear highly water resistant. I like the idea of a holder like the Ram-X if I can figure out how to tell it to snap the picture. All I can get it to do right now by voice is turn on the camera. 

 

How secure is is that Ram-X holder with the 4 arms? I may still want some kind of tether for that extra assurance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Ram-X mount and a bluetooth remote to snap the picture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wasabi_VA said:

How secure is is that Ram-X holder with the 4 arms? I may still want some kind of tether for that extra assurance.

Secure enough that my coworker uses one for his iPad on his motorcycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So researched the heck out of this and can't find a hands free solution since I'm using an iPhone. I want to mount the iPhone on something like one of these RAM-X holders and then issue a voice command to make the iPhone take the picture. In my case my iPhone requires entering a passcode (or my thumbprint) which I can't find a voice-activated way to perform this authentication to open the phone.

 

I can tell it to take a selfie but it requires this passcode first, and I can download different camera apps that are voice activated, but again i would have to first log in to the phone before I can get these apps to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disable the login so it's always on and 'up'? I can do that with my Galaxy, if I-Phones can't do that...then I'm glad I got the Galaxy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wasabi_VA said:

So researched the heck out of this and can't find a hands free solution since I'm using an iPhone. I want to mount the iPhone on something like one of these RAM-X holders and then issue a voice command to make the iPhone take the picture. In my case my iPhone requires entering a passcode (or my thumbprint) which I can't find a voice-activated way to perform this authentication to open the phone.

 

I can tell it to take a selfie but it requires this passcode first, and I can download different camera apps that are voice activated, but again i would have to first log in to the phone before I can get these apps to work.

The camera is accessible without unlocking the screen.  Click the power button, and swipe left.  Alternately, you can tell siri to take a selfie, and it opens the camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a passcode on mine, and it all works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you can tell Sire to take the selfie but you still have to lean forward and push the button which i am trying avoid. There is no hands-free method available yet.

Just now, J Francho said:

I have a passcode on mine, and it all works.

It doesn't work hands-free. If it does tell me how you do it. For exaple how do you enter the passcode without touching the phone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, preset the camera to a 3 or 10 second shutter delay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, I'm trying to set this up hands-free which I guess I naively thought should be doable in 2019! Looks like the best I can do is:

 

  1. mount camera a little forward in one of my track rails so it is not in the way while casting/paddling, possibly with the RAM-X mount
  2. When I need to take a photo I have to lean forward and enter my passcode
  3. tell Siri to 'take a selfie' to open the Camera
  4. lean forward and click the shutter button, then position the fish during the 3-second delay

 

That's better than nothing I guess but might have to get a cheap Android to go totally hands-free. I feel like I should be able to just issue a voice command to get it to completely take the photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get a Bluetooth remote for under $10. You have to have the camera app open but all you do is hit the button on it and it takes the picture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, wasabi_VA said:
  • mount camera a little forward in one of my track rails so it is not in the way while casting/paddling, possibly with the RAM-X mount
  • When I need to take a photo I have to lean forward and enter my passcode
  • tell Siri to 'take a selfie' to open the Camera
  • lean forward and click the shutter button, then position the fish during the 3-second delay

Again, the camera is accessible from the lock screen. I already gave two ways to get to it.  Everything else describes what you do to take a picture. It's pretty simple.  I do it all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can I attach one of these RAM-X mounts to the Scotty tracks on my kayak? I'd prefer to stick with that Scotty ecosystem and not attach a new base style. Is there a standard adapter to go from RAM-X ball to Scotty track or do I need to try and adapt that ball on the back of the phone mount to fit the track?

 

440BK-4_01-600x600.jpg

 

FPYUXypl.jpg

 

Wl1Hus3m.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the same waterproof thing you have but I have my phone on a ram mount in front of me. If I catch a fish I just switch to the front facing camera, have it on a 5 second timer and hold up the fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Yakattack Panfish portrait with a RAM X Grip.  Comes with a T-bolt that fits in the track system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see RAM-X makes a ball mount that uses the T-Bolt so I am good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wasabi_VA said:

Again, I'm trying to set this up hands-free which I guess I naively thought should be doable in 2019! Looks like the best I can do is:

 

  1. mount camera a little forward in one of my track rails so it is not in the way while casting/paddling, possibly with the RAM-X mount
  2. When I need to take a photo I have to lean forward and enter my passcode
  3. tell Siri to 'take a selfie' to open the Camera
  4. lean forward and click the shutter button, then position the fish during the 3-second delay

 

That's better than nothing I guess but might have to get a cheap Android to go totally hands-free. I feel like I should be able to just issue a voice command to get it to completely take the photo.

Another option is the Apple Watch.

 

Mine works as a remote for the camera. After framing the shot on your watch you can take a pic with a 3 second timer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...