I'm Blue

Hello,, from second worse bass guy in VA

Never been much good, did the tourny thing back in 90's sold boat in 2000, now retired and got more money than sense and got the hair brained scheme to buy a bass boat again. Been getting skunked bad sense Nov,,, I mean bad like 1 fish in 8 trips,,, ready to sink boat for the insurance.
Anyways, after 7 years I finally have a vacation 21-27 April,,, want to catch some bass, dont give a rip about size,,, bunch of "keepers" which I wont keep,,, catch and release guy on black bass, Prefer lures and I have one of everything but not opposed to shiners.
Been to Florida twice,,, once with Roland Martin at Ocachobee after Dessert Storm so 91 ish ?  Umm yeh bitter unusual coldsnap,,, caught 2 or 3 IIRC,,,, Took my son down in 1999 ish,,, did stick marsh in Feb,, and of course nasty cold wind and managed 2 fish . 
Sooooooooooo  gonna try again, got a new 19foot Triton , wife is coming, fishing around me blows,,, Thinking stick marsh, or Blue Cypress, and staying somewhere,,, lures, shiners dont care... GA, SC would be ok as well as I am coming from VA.
I am great river small mouth and trout guy but large lake LM kick my butt.

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to bass fishing.

Thanks,,, a little late but I shoulda back seated at a ABA tourny on Sat,, brought a lunch,,, seems most did pretty well,,  dont care about stealing spots just want to see in general I don't understand I am doing wrong

Hello and Welcome to Bass Resource ~ 

Might just be the most depressing 'first post' in a while

Congrats ~

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Welcome aboard!

Hello and welcome to BR!

What part of Virginia are you from?

Welcome!

I have to ask .... who's the worst bass guy in VA?  Oh, and BTW .... welcome to BR. These guys have slapped me into shape, so I'm sure someone  here can help you a bunch too.  😁    jj

Hah dont know but I caught 1 fish so and 2 guys at the tourny out of 27 caught none,,, so probably the third worse ? LOL..
Im in Surry,,, See one guy in Chesterfield,, I fished Chesdin 22 ish march,,, total skunked,, water was muddy and cold,,  fished up lake flats, , then threw worms around docks near d**n, then cranked some humps,,, nadda,,, rode around some and everyone I talked too nadda,,, same thing at ramp.
Online and newspaper reports that people are just slaying them at Chesdin, that weekend.. umm yeh learning the reports are pretty worthless, pretty much why I think tourny results are only true reports

Welcome! :)

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:42 PM, I'm Blue said:

Never been much good, did the tourny thing back in 90's sold boat in 2000, now retired and got more money than sense and got the hair brained scheme to buy a bass boat again. Been getting skunked bad sense Nov,,, I mean bad like 1 fish in 8 trips,,, ready to sink boat for the insurance.
Anyways, after 7 years I finally have a vacation 21-27 April,,, want to catch some bass, dont give a rip about size,,, bunch of "keepers" which I wont keep,,, catch and release guy on black bass, Prefer lures and I have one of everything but not opposed to shiners.
Been to Florida twice,,, once with Roland Martin at Ocachobee after Dessert Storm so 91 ish ?  Umm yeh bitter unusual coldsnap,,, caught 2 or 3 IIRC,,,, Took my son down in 1999 ish,,, did stick marsh in Feb,, and of course nasty cold wind and managed 2 fish . 
Sooooooooooo  gonna try again, got a new 19foot Triton , wife is coming, fishing around me blows,,, Thinking stick marsh, or Blue Cypress, and staying somewhere,,, lures, shiners dont care... GA, SC would be ok as well as I am coming from VA.
I am great river small mouth and trout guy but large lake LM kick my butt.

OK, Blue, if you want us to help you then you have to help us.

Please add your location to your avatar and your favorite places to fish.

As you know, Virginia has tidal rivers, big and small lakes, plus thousands upon thousands of ponds.

There is a vast difference between Lake Gaston and Kerr (Buggs Island); Smith Mountain Lake and One Fish Anna; the upper Historic James River and the tidal Historic James river below the Capital of the Confederacy; the Potomac and the Mattaponi; New River and the Pamunkey; and the list goes on.

Depending on where you live, there are bass clubs sprinklered around the Commonwealth that you may want to join to pick up some up to date pointers. Go to the top of this page and look up the drop down for Links and go to "bass clubs." Go to Virginia and you can look up both the FLW and BASS organizations and then open their link to the listing of their clubs.

As soon as you let us know where you are we can start to give you pointers.

Welcome to the Forum.

Main place I fish is the chick...
Went out today,,, Not sure if it is Florida strain  stocking or what but that place has changed 100%  in last 20 years.. Looks the same but it aint.. ZERO grass or pads,,, ZERO shallow fish,  I even slow trolled minnows on bobbers caugt 2 things,,, one of them was Jack..
Started cranking big creek and river points on incoming tide,,, fishing the up river side,,, so down current , looking for the drop offs,,,
BAM ! fish on,,, BAM fish on,,, change colors BAM fish on,,, ,,,  not huge,  2 lb ers, but really nice to confirm I am not a total dipstick.  
Stepson was with me so we went up river near d**n to fish flats with big minnows,,, trolled across flats, threw spinner baits,,, top water,, nadda.. Fish ( well at least fish I can catch) are still deep. Water temp 56.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:14 PM, I'm Blue said:

Main place I fish is the chick...
Went out today,,, Not sure if it is Florida strain  stocking or what but that place has changed 100%  in last 20 years.. Looks the same but it aint.. ZERO grass or pads,,, ZERO shallow fish,  I even slow trolled minnows on bobbers caugt 2 things,,, one of them was Jack..
Started cranking big creek and river points on incoming tide,,, fishing the up river side,,, so down current , looking for the drop offs,,,
BAM ! fish on,,, BAM fish on,,, change colors BAM fish on,,, ,,,  not huge,  2 lb ers, but really nice to confirm I am not a total dipstick.  
Stepson was with me so we went up river near d**n to fish flats with big minnows,,, trolled across flats, threw spinner baits,,, top water,, nadda.. Fish ( well at least fish I can catch) are still deep. Water temp 56.

Blue, can you add the Chick River and Lake to your avatar so we will know where you are and where you fish?

As for the Chick, it is just about the same from 20-years ago. Some blow downs are gone but the grass and pads will reappear as the water temperature gets warmer.

56* is cold for the Chick and the bass are just holding, looking at you as you pass above.

The tides rule the Chick so you will not do that great on a slack or incoming tide, although me and my friends have caught them on both conditions. An East wind will also kill the bite and if the Historic James River gets back-upped due to a hurricane or storm in the Atlantic the river is not worth even trying your luck.

When the water warms up into the 60's you will do much better and get a lot more bites as the bass get ready to spawn.

Up river by the dam is much better when the pads and grass emerge. Otherwise you will probably do better in the creeks like Gordon, Morris, Diascund, Shipyard and Yarmouth.

Have fun!!!!

Welcome home!  We're glad you're here.