1 minute ago, J Francho said:

I won a 60% off coupon for a Dobyns rod in a tournament.  I picked up a 744c and 745c in the Champion Extreme line.  Man, they are nice to fish.  I wouldn't have spent retail for them.  I have tasted the forbidden fruit, lol.

Be careful. 🤣 I sold a Dobyns to a co-worker and now he has gone off the deep end in what he buys. He now has Loomis, St. Croix and Kistler rods. It becomes a sickness really. You think the bait monkey is bad, wait until the bait gorilla is on your shoulder. Hard to ignore the weight of the gorilla on your shoulder.

6 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I won a 60% off coupon for a Dobyns rod in a tournament.  I picked up a 744c and 745c in the Champion Extreme line.  Man, they are nice to fish.  I wouldn't have spent retail for them.  I have tasted the forbidden fruit, lol.

So... Which Extreme are you buying next?!

-Bait Monkey

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Uknowme said:

Be careful. 🤣

I've had them for around 5 years.  I have a few other nice sticks, SC LTB, Pinnacle DHC7, but most of my others are from the Avid line.  I'm more likely to drop coin on a reel.

2 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

So... Which Extreme are you buying next?!

-Bait Monkey

I have more rods than I will ever need.

We'd all be sick if we knew just how much markup there is in all aspects of the fishing industry.  Rods/Reels/Line/Lures/Boats....etc.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TOXIC said:

We'd all be sick if we knew just how much markup there is in all aspects of the fishing industry.  Rods/Reels/Line/Lures/Boats....etc.  

I've heard it's one of the worst industries when it comes to markups.  It makes sense when you really look at this stuff objectively though.  How much ACTUAL difference is there between a $100 reel or rod vs. a $700 rod or reel? From a materials and manufacturing perspective, there's very little cost difference.  They're smart though. They'll make the $700 rod or reel "feel" much better just by using a few upgraded parts and processes that barely cost them anything but do make a noticeable difference in performance.

The real magic is in the promotion and marketing.  Technical sounding buzzwords ("rigidity" seems to be one of the current hype words) and names that involve numbers and letters. Men love this stuff. Think cars. Porsche 911 Turbo S, Audi R8 etc... Rods/reels GLX 894c, 100sv, 50E, 200K XG etc...

15 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

We'd be sicker if all this great tackle wasn't profitable for the makers, and it went away.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

There is a lot of markup but at the same time  I don't get the feeling that it's a very profitable industry.  In reality,  it's almost impossible to make a rod that's noticeably better than other rods on the market.  The only way to differentiate your product from the competition is through marketing which is probably where most of the cost of a rod goes.  Same is probably true for Reels/Line/Lures...etc

Occasionally,  I search the web for wholesale Chinese manufactures just to see how much it cost to buy a generic tackle wholesale.  Last time I did this for rods,  I found a manufacture where you could buy rods from $15 to $55 each with a minimum order of 50 rods.  The $55 rods were high modulus graphite with fuji components and premium cork just like you would expect in a high end rod.  I'm sure if you ordered several thousand you could get them for even less. 

11 hours ago, TOXIC said:

competition and more competition keeps things honest .... choices for the consumer ...capitalism the best economic system ever devised by man .... 

good fishing ...

Brand bashing like the OP described is just a sign of insecurity and LACK OF CONFIDENCE of the people doing the bashing.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, J Francho said:

I have a 40 year old 33 that works like a charm.  I replaced a brass bush with a bearing, so it's a one ball bearing reel, lol.  I did get a Daiwa Goldcast, as an upgrade for my queen.

IMG_3783-crop.jpg

Zebco personalized this 33 for Mr. Thompson, who worked as a manager for a sporting goods department in a hardware store, in 1964. He never used the reel and today it sits in one of my curio cabinets, as I will never use it. I landed my first bass, 2 1/2 lbs, using a Zebco 202 combo in the mid 60s. In the language of the "Googan" generation; Zebco is bomb!

633.jpg

632.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Harold Scoggins said:

Zebco personalized this 33 for Mr. Thompson, who worked as a manager for a sporting goods department in a hardware store, in 1964. He never used the reel and today it sits in one of my curio cabinets, as I will never use it. I landed my first bass, 2 1/2 lbs, using a Zebco 202 combo in the mid 60s. In the language of the "Googan" generation; Zebco is bomb!

633.jpg

632.jpg

Nice old reel Harold

• Like 1

Vintage Zebco "one" Hi-Speed Ball Bearing Spincast Fishing Reel Lure

proud owner of the above .... and mine is used from time to time neighborhood pond  .... in its day was state of the art .... performs OK and bass are caught on t -rigged plastics ....

good fishing ...

• Like 3