Jump to content

Best glue for gluing eyes back lure


Otter17

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, i just received some of the Cool Baits Underspins, which I hear the eyes pop off often. 
 

I was considering removing them and trying a stronger glue. Would you recommend this idea or no?  And if so, what would be the best or strongest glue for this application. 
 

Thankyou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

When I need strong, I go with an epoxy like JB Weld.  The downside is, it's 24 hours to cure.  But get the 24 hour curing type, as the stuff that cures in just a few hours or minutes doesn't hold as strong. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Otter 17's approach will work well, as will covering the eye with UV curing epoxy and setting it with UV.  No need to remove the eyes.  Just cover them, overlapping onto the lure body, with one or the other.  (UV curing epoxy = Solarez and many others)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MickD said:

Otter 17's approach will work well, as will covering the eye with UV curing epoxy and setting it with UV.  No need to remove the eyes.  Just cover them, overlapping onto the lure body, with one or the other.  (UV curing epoxy = Solarez and many others)

Same here.  Quick and easy and lasts a long time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Gluing them on Loctite Gel. Eyes already in place coat over them with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails fingernail polish. You will lose the lure before the eyes come off.

 

Allen 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails is a very nice little bottle to have around.  This job, fixing a crack in the epoxy of a rod guide, and others.  It's clear, said to be UV resistant, it's tough.  Good stuff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
18 hours ago, Munkin said:

Gluing them on Loctite Gel. Eyes already in place coat over them with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails fingernail polish. You will lose the lure before the eyes come off.

 

Allen 

I was doing the same thing. One day I ran out of gel and started using Sally nail polish under and over the eye. Never noticed a difference. Hard as nails.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lol that’s a good point. My ocd has a tendency to creep up in these matters. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
On 3/2/2023 at 6:13 PM, looking45 said:

Brush clear nail polish over them to seal them in place

X2

On 3/7/2023 at 6:00 PM, Jigfishn10 said:

I was doing the same thing. One day I ran out of gel and started using Sally nail polish under and over the eye. Never noticed a difference. Hard as nails.

Use Hard as Nails for other fishing applications, like painting it over any coloring you are using on your crankbaits. 

 

Only problem is asking a young clerk in the drug store if they have Hard as Nails and you notice the funny look on their face.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
30 minutes ago, Sam said:

Only problem is asking a young clerk in the drug store if they have Hard as Nails and you notice the funny look on their face.

 

Not true! I had another guy ask me out on a date. Now I get my wife or daughter to buy it for me.

 

Allen

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sam said:

X2

Use Hard as Nails for other fishing applications, like painting it over any coloring you are using on your crankbaits. 

 

Only problem is asking a young clerk in the drug store if they have Hard as Nails and you notice the funny look on their face.

I just got that exact look about 5 minutes ago when I asked for it. And then the secondary look given after I said I was for a fishing lure. 

7 hours ago, MickD said:

Eyes can't hurt, might help.  Makes sense that they would, IMHO.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
2 hours ago, Otter17 said:

Is this something that I reapply after each days use, or will it last for a while?

 

It will last longer than most store bought baits.

 

Allen

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
7 hours ago, Munkin said:

 

Not true! I had another guy ask me out on a date. Now I get my wife or daughter to buy it for me.

 

Allen

 

LOL.  I get a look at the craft store check out with beads, feathers, glitter, and copper wire, doesn't bother me, I do wish DSW carried open toe heels in larger sizes, I prefer them when I pedal a yak... 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
3 hours ago, Otter17 said:

Is this something that I reapply after each days use, or will it last for a while?

It will last for a while, although it has a tendence to crack and chip off from hiting things.

So run your finger over the crankbait and feel for cracks and then reapply if you wish.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
5 hours ago, Deleted account said:

 

LOL.  I get a look at the craft store check out with beads, feathers, glitter, and copper wire, doesn't bother me, I do wish DSW carried open toe heels in larger sizes, I prefer them when I pedal a yak... 

 

Wife said I should be flattered and told all her friends.

 

Allen 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


  • fishing forum

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.