Sign in to follow this  
esoxangler

Curado 200E7 - weightless performance?

Thinking about getting a Curado 200E7 for throwing zoom trick worms, Rage Anaconda's and such, weightless. I would be using a 4/0 or 5/0 hook. Rod would be either St. Croix Avid 6'8" MXF or Loomis MBR843C (in case it would make a difference). Is the Curado a good choice for such light weight lures for casting a reasonable distance?

Thanks in advance for your experiences, thoughts or opinions.

Esox

This ranks as one of Shimano's finest reels.

"Best Value" at the pricing point. Retail is

$179, but I have recently bought one for

~$150 on our Flea Market.

It is an outstanding reel for lightweight lures.  I have mine paired with a Avid 6' 6" M/F rod and it is wonderful.

The only thing that works better is my 51MG ;D

Later, ;)

Agree---The 200E works well and is a great reel.  But there are others better for light stuff.

Not sure I would consider either of those soft plastics as "light."  You'll be fine with a Curado.

The only problem I have found is that the anaconda can catch a fair amount of wind when casted weightless, hindering the cast somewhat.  The Curado is more than fine, although I have never fished weightless with mine, I'm sure it's more than capable.

For weightless plastics I would go with the discontinued Chronarch 50 MG. It has a light spool and casts light lures very well. You could find one new or slightly used for around $200.

Not sure I would consider either of those soft plastics as "light." You'll be fine with a Curado.

What he said.  I cast a lot of those same lures and others with my Citica 200E.  Seeing as how the Curado's spool is lighter, then it should be even better.. Line and rod choice make a big difference in what you can and cannot cast.  For the money, the Citica/Curado E's can't be beat.

During the 2008 season, I threw weightless senkos and worms with a Curado 200D and an MBR844C IMX with no problems.  I now throw them with the  CuradoE7 on the BCR893 GLX and 17lb. Izorline and they cast beautifully.  I think the E7 will suit you well.

Weightless senkos: Curado E7

Weightless trick worms: Chronarch 50Mg

There is a big weight difference between the two. There is no doubt you could throw trick worms with an E7, I just think the mg would work better. Worms with 4/0 and 5/0 hooks are probably pretty heavy I am assuming so you would be fine with the E. However, if you could find an mg for around what you are willing to spend then I would ****** it up in a heartbeat. It can do a lot of everything. ;)

However, if you could find an mg for around what you are willing to spend then I would ****** it up in a heartbeat. It can do a lot of everything. ;)

X2 on that ;D

I actually think that there is one for-sale in the flea market section.

Later, :D

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to be picking up two Curado's in the next couple of weeks.  ;)

Enjoy. Heck, I bought one knowing that I didn't like the bump on that back that rubbed against my hand. (201E7) I figured I would just have to adjust my casting technique.  ;)

I have 1 of these reels and am considering getting another. This is one of the best reels on the market, it isn't to spendy and it still has the durability that Shimano is known for. For a bait this light I don't know how well it would work, Since the reel is high speed I throw light crankbaits, texas rigged worms and senkos with it. I really love this reel, worth the price.  ;)

I've got the 200E7 and the 50 MG.

Sure you could probably throw trick worms with the 200E7 but accuracy would suffer. Pitcing a Gary Yamamoto 9 series Senko which weigh 0.385 oz. accurately is much more difficult than when using my 50 MG's

Spool weight of both reels when spooled with 14# mono is significant as per below.

The Curado 200 E spool has significant line capacity. A key to casting light lures is spool weight. The spool of the 200E weighs 13.8 grams empty and 24.2 g filled with 14# mono.

For comparison the spool of the Chronarch 50 MG weighs 12.3 g. empty and filled with 14# mono 17.7 grams. A significantly smaller increase in spool weight.

The specialty reels will do a better job, no doubt,

but you will be okay with the CU200E7. Still, I

prefer spinning tackle for weightless soft plastics.

No matter how good you are, occasionally that

worm is going airborne and you are left with a

bird's nest from hell! I may not happen too often,

but it's not worth it to me.

The specialty reels will do a better job, no doubt,

but you will be okay with the CU200E7. Still, I

prefer spinning tackle for weightless soft plastics.

No matter how good you are, occasionally that

worm is going airborne and you are left with a

bird's nest from hell! I may not happen too often,

but it's not worth it to me.

X2....

i use a sustain 2500 on a cumara 6'8 m-fast.... to say the leaset this setup is AMAZING. I use a core on a cumara for weighted plastics or heavier weightless ones. I try to reduce the amount of backlashes as much as possible so i really try and use the right tool for the right job!!!