Sign in to follow this  
D.Cox

Anyone know how to get the Abu Garcia REVO reel apart?

Anyone know how to get the  Abu Garcia REVO reel apart?

Was going to service, but could not get it apart. Took 2 screw out of handle side and a bar that screwed in and it would not come apart.

Any help, stopped because I did not want to break.

Loosen the thumb screw on the handle sideplate, it's near the top.  Palm sideplate should rotate off.  Can't remember if it rotates clockwise or counter-clockwise.

They're hard to get off the first few times.

Two screws on the handle side plate on the OUTSIDE.

Also the thumb screw.

Rotate the palm plate up and remove it. Then remove the spool.

Then there is a screw hidden behind the spool on the inside of the frame. Sounds like this is the screw holding you up.

I highly reccomend you have a pro service it for you, it probably won't cost more that 20 bucks.

Hammer and a wedge?

:;)

Hammer and a wedge?

::o

Close, but any blunt instrument will work.  ;)

PM sent :o

Don't quite understand why, if you do not know how to break the reel down, you would consider doing what you think is a service to the reel....

:-?

Don't quite understand why, if you do not know how to break the reel down, you would consider doing what you think is a service to the reel....

Gotta be a first time for everything, right?  I took all my Revo's apart for the first time this winter and lubed/greased everything.  Can't wait to see how they perform come springtime.  I suggest studying Abu's tear down chart they include with the reels.  This helped me out A LOT!

Hammer and a wedge?

:;)

I say get you a nice round log, place it on its end, set the reel on top of it, then get a 8lb maul and give it a whack or two....should pop right off after that

Gotta be a first time for everything, right? I took all my Revo's apart for the first time this winter and lubed/greased everything. Can't wait to see how they perform come springtime. I suggest studying Abu's tear down chart they include with the reels. This helped me out A LOT!

x2

Teaching yourself skills like these can be immensely rewarding even if you make a few boo-boos along the way.  It is a hobby after all.

Gotta be a first time for everything, right? I took all my Revo's apart for the first time this winter and lubed/greased everything. Can't wait to see how they perform come springtime. I suggest studying Abu's tear down chart they include with the reels. This helped me out A LOT!

x2

Teaching yourself skills like these can be immensely rewarding even if you make a few boo-boos along the way. It is a hobby after all.

Agreed BUT it's better to learn on a beater reel than a working Revo.

Anyone know how to get the Abu Garcia REVO reel apart?

Was going to service, but could not get it apart. Took 2 screw out of handle side and a bar that screwed in and it would not come apart.

Any help, stopped because I did not want to break.

Check out this link...

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3367725/When_to_use_oil_When_to_use_gr

Reel maintenance isn't rocket science.  There was a time when I didn't know how to open the wrapper on a slice of American cheese.  Now I do it all the time.