Sign in to follow this  
tracker01

Is a 6'3" something rod the right choice ?

Need some recommendations for a spinning rod to use for throwing light stuff (tubes, weightless senkos, etc.) around 1/8 to 1/4 oz. This rod will be used for some casting for smallmouth bass as well as used to skip small baits up under docks and overhangs. I have read allot of "rod" stuff on this forum and it seems that a 6'3" med. would be a place to start. I am looking for some "opinions" on this size rod or should I be looking at a different length rod. I have researched some rods from the Shimano Compre to a G. Loomis Bronzeback. Sometimes we get hung up on those "technique specific" rods and I know that it is a starting place. Maybe I should be looking at two different rods for what I want to do. What do you use for this application and why? Oh ya, one more thing, fast or x-fast.

Thanks

I'd recommend a 7' MH fast. That's pretty good for most applications.

Usually for accurate cast's..folks recomend a shorter rod, i.e. 6'6"..or less. OTH, taller guys like me prefer a longer set up, it really what YOU like, best to try a couple of different rods if possible.

There really is no perfect rod size..

Spend some time looking around the site, there

are currently three threads on this page that address

your question:

Technique specific rods are for "enthusiasts".

Almost all your fishing can be done with just

one rod. Beyond that, you only "need" three rods:

Spinning: 6 1/2' or 7', M or MH, Fast Action

(soft plastics and light lures)

Baitcasting: MH, Fast Action

(jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and all single hooks)

Baitcasting: MH, Moderate Action

(all treble hook lures)

8-)

6'6" MH fast action!!!

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this one, and the comment about using whatever seems right to you is a good one. I'll just say that based on your mention of skipping and smaller baits, you'd be perfectly fine with a 6'0-6'3" MF rod. I've caught a whole lot of bass over the years doing exactly that with a 6' M action spinning rod. This game is only as complicated and fancy as you choose or desire to make it.  ;D

-T9 

If you are going to throw "light stuff" a MF or MXF between 6' and 7' will do just fine.

I have a 6'3" MXF 1/8 to 3/8 oz Shimano Crucial.  As expected, it works well with plastics.  For me, it also works very well with small cranks.

However, at 6'3" the guide spacing is almost identical (within 1/2 inch) to the New Concept spacing on my 6'6" rods.  The 3" difference is primarily due to a shorter handle.  The 2 1/2 inch shorter handle on the 6'3" rods doesn't affect me, but with the shorter rod I'd been hoping for a bit less length to help when fishing from brushy banks.  For those situations I now use a 6'0" spinning rod that actually has less blank ahead of the reel.  The lesson, not all 6'3" inch rods have the same design...

I find my 6'6" MF rods are good all around performers for the situations you describe.   Going shorter or longer with be dependent upon your fishing situations and your preferences in terms of economics.

Leon

One thing a lot of people fail to consider is their own height. It is one of the most important things to consider when choosing a rod. Some of the longer rods just don't work well for some of the shorter anglers(Like me). I am 5'11" and the rods over 7' are hard for me to handle. Don't get caught up in all the hype about the 7 1/2 or 8' rods. They just are too long to effectively fish in certain scenarios unless you have a little more height.

I bought into the longer rod scenario years ago and found that my accuracy suffered. I went back to a shorter rod and fixed the problem. I have no rods in the boat longer than 7' and a couple of my flippin sticks are even a little shorter and it has helped me.

JMO.

Good luck,

Jack

I started out with a 7' Gloomis SJR843 IMX and found that it was a bit long and heavy (with a 2500 series reel) for my liking.

I now use a St. Croix Legend Tournament 6'3" medium XF and prefer it over the 7'.

One thing to keep in mind if you go the shorter route, 6 or 6-3, it is not going to balance well with a 2500 series reel, which seems to be the popular size for bass. I have the 6'3" matched with a 1000 series and it balances well.

Hey Fishing Doug, Strange you should mention the St. Croix Legend Tournament 6'3". I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the LTBS63MXF but the only thing that is holding me back is the G Loomis Bronzeback SMR752S-SP. It is about the same price range and it seems to be a close call to the St. Croix. Anyone have the Bronzeback ? How about a review .

Hey Fishing Doug, Strange you should mention the St. Croix Legend Tournament 6'3". I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the LTBS63MXF but the only thing that is holding me back is the G Loomis Bronzeback SMR752S-SP. It is about the same price range and it seems to be a close call to the St. Croix. Anyone have the Bronzeback ? How about a review .

tracker01,

I actually mis-spoke on my post above. my 6-3 is actually a Legend Elite, model ES63MXF. Mine is dark brown so I think they have changed the color/upgraded since mine was produced. I have used my fishing partners 6-8 Legend Tournament XF a couple times and like it as well.

Just wanted to clarify that.

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this one, and the comment about using whatever seems right to you is a good one. I'll just say that based on your mention of skipping and smaller baits, you'd be perfectly fine with a 6'0-6'3" MF rod. I've caught a whole lot of bass over the years doing exactly that with a 6' M action spinning rod. This game is only as complicated and fancy as you choose or desire to make it. ;D

-T9

I concur.

For many years, every spinning rod I used was between 6.0' and 6' 3".

The short rod offers the best of everything, where the chief benefit to a longer rod is longer casts.

But when the boat is properly positioned this is of dubious value (miscues are generally overcasts).

Today nevertheless, my spinning rods have crept upward, and now the majority are 6' 6" long,

and my 6' 9" Kistler LTX is the longest spinning rod I use (I own longer rods but don't use them).

Roger

One of the things that makes shorter folks feel like they need a shorter rod.....Handle length.

For me, a long handle is more cumbersome than a long rod.

Tip down action presentations (hard and soft jerk baits, or topwaters) require about a 6'6 or shorter rod, and everything else I'm fine with 7' or more. As long as the handle isn't overly long.

One of the things that makes shorter folks feel like they need a shorter rod.....Handle length.

For me, a long handle is more cumbersome than a long rod.

X2

I own that Loomis 6'3" Bronzeback rod you are referring to. It is a wonderful rod and I use it for alot of different applications. Having said that, one of my buddies has the St Croix LT in that 6'3" size w/ the split grips and...well, if that rod had been out when I got my Loomis, I would have gotten the Croix. Its a bit lighter and I like the foregrip size better. The Loomis is better when trying to cast lures below its rating (less than 1/8 oz) but otherwise I like the Croix you mentioned. Like I said, the Bronzeback is a wonderful rod, but I like that Croix better.