Sign in to follow this  
roadwarrior

Too Hot To Fish

Just a warning guys, sometimes it's dangerous to fish.

I won't be back to the Tennessee River for awhile. Yesterday we

caught one small striper, less than 8 lbs, in six hours. The actual

temperature was a little ove 100, clear skies, high humidity and

not a hint of breeze.

Tried to fish the Secret Pond this morning with a temperature of "only"

89, but after yesterday, it just was unbearable. When it's not fun, I'm

done!

Current teperature 102, heat index 115-117, high humidity and no

wind. I'm staying inside today.

:P

I was out last weekend and the water temps were starting to scare 90 degrees.  When it gets that hot the bite really shuts down except for those short feeding periods, normally early and late.  It's normally not worth taking the chance of heat stroke or exhaustion IMO.  

Fished this morning. On the water at 5:30 AM off by 9:30, only way to go in the summer. Caught 7 on weightless Senko.

Heat index 115 to 117?

Turn up that air conditioning, I'm staying indoors.   :o

I am really getting tired of the heat as well. I went to a place nearby around five and left at 7:30 because it was already 80 something and very humid. When you are sweating profusely at 7:30 in the morning, you know it is going to be a miserable day. At least I managed to catch 4 before I went home. I think it reached 100 something with the heat index.

If I can survive this heat and the peak of hurricane season, I will be a happy camper. Hope everyone stays cool and hydrated.

I fished a two day tournament this weekend and it was HOT. I did manage to take second place with a weight of 21.96. Just remember to dress appropriate and drink plenty of liquids. ( No Beer )  ;D

I went out last week-end.  At 0630 the water temp was 92.  Never got so much as a nibble.  Was off the water by noon.  The high was 101.

That was last week-end.  I could have gone out today, but the high reached 105.  I stayed indoors and re-sorted my lures.

That's why they make blacklights.

Mosquitoes.

You can't hide. They'll find you.

he's right! the mosquitoes will get you.

not sure about blacklights, but i do know that bugs are not attracted to a red light.

night fishing is a great (and productive) way to beat the heat in the summer.

yeah we have been having the same temps here too, with the same index as well.  i went out yesterday evening around 6pm, it was miserable untill about 8:15, but by then with only two dinks between me and my buddy, we had had enough.  i cant seem to catch a decent fish in this weather even working slow and in the deepest water i can find from shore.  man i cant wait for winter time again.

That's why they make blacklights.

Mosquitoes.

You can't hide. They'll find you.

he's right! the mosquitoes will get you.

not sure about blacklights, but i do know that bugs are not attracted to a red light.

night fishing is a great (and productive) way to beat the heat in the summer.

Red light will also not mess with your night vision like other colored lights will.

If it's too hot to fish from the boat or bank, I go wading. It's the best way to fish in the summer if you ask me ;)

That is why I am glad I am spending the summer up here in MN.  I talk to my dad back home in KY and he says the heat index is well ove a hundred most of the time.

Too bad I haven't got to do much much fishing while I am up here but it's back to KY in 10 days.

Start night fishing RW.  Night fishin this time of year is the ticket.  Lots of fish and no sunburn. 8-)

I keep on fishing! It was 103 the other day. went out and caught 7 in a few hours. Not great but better than not fishing. I also do a bunch of night fishing. For me it's never too hot, rainy, humid, cloudy, sunny, cold, etc. to fish!

-Ike

I keep on fishing! It was 103 the other day. went out and caught 7 in a few hours. Not great but better than not fishing. I also do a bunch of night fishing. For me it's never too hot, rainy, humid, cloudy, sunny, cold, etc. to fish!

-Ike

Oh to be 17 again , go get em dude.

Current teperature 102, heat index 115-117, high humidity and no

wind.

:P

That sounds like my everyday fishng day starting in March and ending up in late October.  :D

I fished in the Dallas area all last week in temps from 104-108.

It was a killer.

Came home yesterday and now I'm stareing Eduard in the face this morning. My home sits 1 1/2 mile from salt water. Think i'm going to try to ride it out though. The eye should come real close from what they are saying.

Very hot and humid here in Georgia as well.... not going to get a break until MAYBE Saturday, down to the high 80s.  Can not wait till late Sept. gets here.  Back down to normal temps.  I can not stand hot weather, lmao....  

As for night fishing, be careful, last time I went, had a snake trying to crawl in the boat with us.  As for wading?  man are you nuts, you seen the size of some of the snapping turtles they pull out of the water?????  

despite smaller average bass... that is one advantage of living in wisconsin... no 100+ degree days

Since mid-May, we're working on 40+ days of 100 and over.

Breaking a sweat hitching the boat at 3:30am and its only 80.

It don't bother me,  I guess all the years on putting hay or tobacco in the barn has conditioned me to it.  Plus the fact I worked at a steel plant when I got out of high school and it felt like a cool fall day when it was a 100 degrees outside after being inside.