Sign in to follow this  
broncoboxer

Discovering fishing at 31.

Hey there everyone,

I'm 31 and I've suddenly caught the fishing bug. And I don't know why.

As a child my father took me fishing a few times, but I don't remember enjoying it. Part of the reason, I'm sure, is because my dad was a mean SOB. Couldn't ask him anything. Best bet was to shut up and hold on to the fishing pole.

So anyway, I never liked it as a kid. So why am I now dreaming of fishing lures, tackle boxes, swivel snaps and canoes? I don't get it, but for the last couple weeks I've spent most of my freetime browsing on-line fishing sites, reading fishing books ("Fishing for Dummies" and another newbie book, I think it's called "The Everything Fishing Book" or something like that) and purchasing tackle.

Why? I hated fishing, but I do remember walking through the fishing tackle section in a department store when I was a kid and marveling at the myriad types of fishing equipment. I remember being entranced with the plastic worms, multicolored lures, jigs, etc. But I had no idea how to use them. My father had never used artificial bait.

Maybe I've suddenly rediscovered that fascination. I don't know.

All I do know is that I'll be going fishing some time in the near future.

And this time, I think I'll enjoy it.

Welcome to the site. It is great to see another guy my age. You will love this site. It has so much information and will become a mainstay in your fishing arsonal.

Welcome! They say that 40 is the new 30 and 30 is the new 20 so you have lots of years left to fish.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome!

I know exactly how you feel! I'm 30 and just started fishing. I don't know why, it's not like I ever fished without borrowing someone's equipment prior to this. I just decided to start.

Well I hope you enjoy this site as much as I am! I never bought a book, and I have not searched for anything else so far. This site has just about everything I needed to get started.

Vince

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I think Vincedia is right, this site has just about everything a fisherman could ask for. Compared to other fishing message boards, this one is a riot of activity.

Plus, the articles. Good lord, I've already copied and pasted 116 pages of them into a Word document--from this site alone! This site truly contains a wealth of knowledge and some of the most eloquent message board anglers on the planet.

I'll definitely be sticking around. :)

Hey, RW. Thanks to you I went out and bought some Fat Ikas and 5" Senkos. Can't wait to try them out.

Oh, and GAMEOVER.  I had to pick me up a Tiny Torpedo too.   ;)

Welcome...

my wife got me into fishing at 30. Never fished a day in my life before age 30. She  has fished since she could walk.

It is never too late in life to develope a new passion.

I think with age comes wisdom...  I used to fish salt water exclusively, even to the point where I would "pish-posh" on the very thought of fresh water fishing.  Shortly after my Dad died, I inherited all his fishing gear, including the fresh water stuff.  I thought it might be a nice memorial to him if I actually used the equipment.  From there, its all about fresh water fishing for me.  I do still fish salt water, but its a ratio of about 25 to 1 to fresh water fishing.

Like I said, as we get older, we get wiser...Go figure...

Oh, and welcome to the forums, broncoboxer

Welcome and after reading those articles please do not be afraid to ask any questions

There are great people here whit much trusted tips and tricks

I as a Kid also only recall a few times we would hit a private pond with my Dad and used live bait and not much else..

When I was about 11 or 12 I was watching tv one early sat am and Bill Dance was landing big bass on the show and that is all it took for me.

We would walk to the local pond after school and use our rapalas and the famous rebel frog crankbaits and have a great time.

Even today @ 39 there is just something magic about being out on the water that got me addicted.

I take my 2 sons as many times as I can (the daughters could care less) and try to teach them everything I know and every trip I still learn something new

I think the best for me is when the kids land the big bass

As my son David Last year on the magic jig

davie_lunker.jpg

davie_lunker2.jpg

* this bass was landed at fairview lake in NEPA

and released alive....

He was only able to hold this bass up for about 45 seconds when he was like DAD this is getting heavy

Welcome to a life long passion.  Get ready to spend some money.  There's just to many cool toys!!!!!!! :D  The worst thing is every year they come out with new toys!!  At least it's a cheaper hobby than drag racing.  Then again I don't have a $30,000 boat yet. :-?

Like fishin phil said it is most defenitly a life long passion. I can't really describe it, you will find out what it feels like your first time out on the  water with a new rod reel stup and some new lures. Man it's just undescribable. I mean fishing is not just a hobby for most of us anymore it is part of our lives, and I hope it will be part of your life for a while to. Your gonna learn a lot from this site and best of luck to you down the road.

Guest avid

Maybe your discovering what it was about fishing that even your mean sob father could love.

Lord knows, there's plenty about bass fishing to love.

Welcome...and keep a tight grip on your wallet.  The bait monkey is a meaner SOB than your dad  ;D

And remember, there is no stupid question.  People here will helpfully answer what seems like even the most basic question (believe me, I've asked more than my fair share).  

I'm 31 and I've suddenly caught the fishing bug.

Better late than never !  ;)

Well, I just got back from my first fishing trip! Drove out to Raven Rock State Park in Lillington, NC. The wife and I hiked about 3/4 a mile down "Fish Trap" trail. At the end of the trail we were able to hop down onto some long, flat rocks along the Cape Fear River.

I felt a jolt of excitement when I first stepped down on those rocks and looked out at the river.

And you know what? It didn't matter that the water was only 1 to 2 feet deep and that I didn't catch a thing. I had a blast! My wife did manage to catch a small bass or trout or something. And she caught it on that Heddon Tiny Torpedo. Thanks, GAMEOVER. ;)

I had fun casting my lures, watching them move for the first time. In total, I cast the following lures:

1. The Heddon Tiny Torpedo. Like I said, my wife actually reeled one in with this. While I fished it, I had at least one fish strike at it--I just couldn't set the hook.

2. A Jitterbug. Loved the action on this lure. Something snapped at this lure 2-3 times.

3. A Rapala Ultra Lite Original Floating Minnow. Like the Jitterbug, I marveled at the action on this thing. Didn't get any bites, but I think that was because there just wasn't many fish out there.

4. A Storm WildEye Live Crappie (swimbait). Man did this thing look real. I only cast it a couple times as it ran a bit deeper than the other lures. The treble hook was dragging the bottom and I worried I might lose it.

All in all, I had a good time. I wouldn't choose that fishing spot again since we had no bank to walk, just a few flat rocks to stand or sit on. Couldn't reach the deeper water where we occasionally saw a fish jump. There's another spot in the park, a little farther down the river where the fishing might be better. Next time I'll check it out.

Welcome Broncoboxer - great post!  this is a feel good thread.  Don't hesitate to ask questions:  You know the old saying - the only stupid question is the one not asked!  Great group of fellas here who truly love the sport and want to help in any way they can!  

Welcome Broncoboxer - great post! this is a feel good thread. Don't hesitate to ask questions: You know the old saying - the only stupid question is the one not asked!

Thanks, hydrillagorilla2.  Yeah, I know the old saying well: "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions."   ;)

So call me stupid--how long do you guys wait before changing lures if you're not getting bites?