Sign in to follow this  
drop-shot fool

Are all spinnerbaits created equal?

I have been fishing spinnerbaits for a long time now and i just don't see paying alot of money for one.  I know Lucky Craft has come out with one that cost $14.  Thats just ridiculous.  I have fished terminator, boo-yah, war-eagle, hawg caller, etc.  I never really whacked the bass on any of them.  I bought a spinnebait at a local tacke shop one day for $1.99, and it was the best spinnerbait i have ever used.  I don't know why? Do you?  

I believe it's because they are not professionally tuned like your brandname, they are probably factory rejects anyway, maybe just a different erratic action.  :D I have observed the same thing though. However i do not think all spinnerbaits are created equal, but that all spinnerbaits will catch fish.

"However i do not think all spinnerbaits are created equal, but that all spinnerbaits will catch fish. "

Yeah, I'd agree with that. You have A chance to catch fish on most things with a hook in it. Some baits offer better odds.

A guy I knew in Arkansas while in the Air Force had a 1/4 ounce spinnerbait with a HUGE Colorado blade on it. He'd traded out the factory blade for this and I called him a fool because the thing wouldn't run right. He came back that afternoon with an 8 lb LMB caught on it.

I like hot sauce on my crow. :-X

I have had hands on experience on making and assembling many spinner baits over the years. There are several factors in making a spinner bait, all marufacturers have some things in common and some things are done differently. Wire is the beginning, some wire is made cheaper than others and some over seas and some here in the US. There are also different sizes, .030, and .035 is the most common used. Next is the lead or steel used in pouring the mold. Some manufacturers use all lead and some use lead with a mix of tin, and how much is used of each designates the weight of the spinner bait, 3/8, 1/2 oz and so on. One brand may use all lead and no tin which may make the head bigger, and another may use a mix thus making the head smaller.  Head design is also a choice. Next is how the wire is attached inside the mold that you never see. Some is wraped in a loop and some is cold welded together. Have you ever got a bite, set the hook and feel the fish come off, only the reel in and your hook is gone? Its happened before. Next is the hook used, Mustad, Eagle claw, ect... finishing with skirt and blade combonations and who makes them. All manufacturers say thay have a better spinner bait than the competition. I personally think War Eagle makes the best spinner bait on the market, but thats only my opinion. What ever spinner bait you have confidense in is what I say you should use.

Basscat, Thank you for that post. I was just thinking about the same thing today. I too like the War Eagle spinnerbait and also like some of the Booyah models.

Blades: overall shape & coating material control flash & vibration

Wire diameter/material: controls vibration & life of the lure

Swivel: controls free movement of the blades

Companies that use quality material in all 3 categories will produce a quality product

As for the $14 spinner bait that company is only out to catch anglers since the bass don't care what you paid for your spinner bait.

Question how do y'all factory tune a spinner bait?  :D

I think Basscat1102 gave us Spinnerbait 101 on a college level.

Thanks a million Basscat for the explanation.

As for "cheap" spinnerbaits, if you catch a catfish, bowfin, walley, pickerel, etc. on a poorly made spinnerbait the fish will actually tear it up and you will have to discard the spinnerbait.

There are two other variables in spinnerbaits.  1) One pro likes for the blade shaft to be short and his spinnerbaits have the shorter shafts.

2) Another pro likes the hammered or diamond finished blades as he says their reflection looks like a school of baitfish.

So when shopping for a spinnerbait look at the overall weight; the blade designs and sizes; the length of the blade shaft; the hook manufacturer; the type of metal used, if it is stated; and the color and type of skirt.

Otherwise, it is a simple decision to select a spinnerbait.   :D   :D   :D

I have been fishing spinnerbaits for a long time now and i just don't see paying alot of money for one. I know Lucky Craft has come out with one that cost $14. Thats just ridiculous. I have fished terminator, boo-yah, war-eagle, hawg caller, etc. I never really whacked the bass on any of them. I bought a spinnebait at a local tacke shop one day for $1.99, and it was the best spinnerbait i have ever used. I don't know why? Do you?

Well, I said the same thing when I was fishing Smithwick Rogues

and Lucky Craft introduced their Pointer. The Pointer's MSRP is lower

now, but initially they were $21 while the Rogues were under $5 and

were proven, big producers.

Over the years I have accumulated a large collection of jerkbaits,

my favorite class of lures. I have kept them all, but I don't fish

Smithwick any more.

I have a couple of spinnerbaits from other companies, but for the

most part, I fish Terminator T-1. I haven't seen the LC version yet,

but I'll probably pick one up and see what it's all about.

8-)

I make my own spinnerbaits and have for several years.  What I have found is that the swivel is the key component.  I always put the best ball bearing swivel that I can buy on a spinnerbait.

Different blade configurations work on different days so several combinations are necessary.  

For me those two items are a lot more important than color.

Spinnerbaits are not created equal but there isn't a rule that says bass will bite the lure with the best quality components more often than a cheaper one. I use spinnerbaits on a regular basis and consider them one of my top confidence baits and my favorites aren't the most expensive. I think if you use any of the well-known brands (Strike King, Booyah, War Eagle, Terminator, etc.) and learn how to fish them you will catch fish. Some brands may last longer due to superior components but that doesn't mean they'll catch more and larger fish.

What is more important is to know the following: (1) What blade types, colors, and combinations work best for you in the different seasons. (2) What wire lengths and thickness work for you. (3) What spinnerbait techniques work for you. (4) What head and skirt colors work with your water clarity. (5) What weight of spinnerbait works for you. We could have a long thread on these spinnerbait attributes. Get these right and the spinnerbait brand won't really matter as long as these desired attributes are offered in the brand you buy. :D

The Redemption Spinnerbait has internal tungsten components, a sleek body design featuring Lucky Craft's realistic colors, and bodies that mirror the most popular Lucky Craft crankbaits. Several versions will be available, including rattling and silent types, spinnerbaits with straight and bent wires for reaching various depths, and multiple sizes.

Tungsten in the head

Premium ball bearing swivels also found on other quality spinner baits

Blades, skirt, beads, clevis, hook no different than anyone else

So where's the additional $10 in technology?  :D

I fish the Terminator  because they are easily found in my area. I'm not happy with them, but I just do the skirt and blade changes as necessary. I wish I could find one with the head design, blade and shaft length, and configuration I prefer, but I cannot. Guess I will keep on tearing them down and rebuilding them.

As for War Eagle baits, just read my signature and you will know why I cannot tie one on.

Check the poll on spinnerbaits. Good quality bearing is a must. I love the new "perfect skirts". How many times have you thrown your spinnerbait and the skirt came apart or off. I put a small wiretie on all of the older style skirts now. Good quality hook a must.

I like Strike King Premiers. BPS Tornado is also one of my favorites.

They are bulletproof.

Check the poll on spinnerbaits. Good quality bearing is a must. I love the new "perfect skirts". How many times have you thrown your spinnerbait and the skirt came apart or off. I put a small wiretie on all of the older style skirts now. Good quality hook a must.

I like Strike King Premiers. BPS Tornado is also one of my favorites.

They are bulletproof.

I like nice smooth bearings, but who's to say that bad bearing that emits an odd vibration isn't the ticket for catching lunkers. Good components will last longer, but the bass do not care what components the spinnerbait is made of. :D

when i first realy started to get into fishing i bought a couple of those cheap strikeking single colorado 1/4 oz baits. i had a couple of horizons at the time to, before terminator bought em out. caught more on the horizon, but bigger on the strike king cheapies.  but, the strike kings just could not stay together. case in point, they will all catch fish, but components dictates their lifespan.

There is definitely a difference in spinnerbait quality. Like some other people said, the wire and the swivels are the important thing. El cheapo spinnerbaits use weak wire and poor swivels and as a result, they start falling apart after a few good fish. Like RW I'm planning on giving the new LC spinnerbait a try to see if its worth the price or not.

I buy whatever spinnerbait I like for bass fishing but, for striper fishing, those guys are like freshwater sharks.They destroy lures so, I buy real old spinnerbaits like Lews, L&G, Bomber, or Poes at yard sales or flea markets and replace the skirts. The old ones are indestructable compared to all the new junk made in el salvador,china,honduras, or costa rica.

Although I hate wally world, I do buy my Strike King spinner baits there, and have had great success with them. I also have every other makers spinner baits except LC's..to much $$$ Next to the strike king, the Booya seems to work best for me.

You guys ever used the cheapo spinner baits from Sports Authority..?

There is definitely a difference in spinnerbait quality. Like some other people said, the wire and the swivels are the important thing. El cheapo spinnerbaits use weak wire and poor swivels and as a result, they start falling apart after a few good fish.

For the cost of a reasonably priced spinner bait, it can fall apart after a few good fish. I'll spend $15 on 3 spinners for a good day of fishing anytime. I don't assume for a minute that a spinner bait will last as long as a same price hard bait, no matter what you pay for it, if it does, all the better. A good fight is gonna reek havoc on any spinner bait, it don't matter what material it's made of. Sure you might get more mileage out of better components, but I'll take that good fight on a cheap spinner that has the right kind of blade and skirt color any day of the week. But 10-15 dollars for a spinner is, IMO, just ridiculous.

Over the past several years, Lucky Craft baits in general have been good producers, with excellent quality and put many fish in my boat. The new Lucky Craft spinnerbait has earned, at the very least, a shot.

One other factor to consider when choosing a spinnerbait is just how long has the company been in business. Fleck has been producing them since the early '70's. And I've been using them since then. Never have had a problem. I've since bought a bunch of T-1's which I really like, but I can't justify the difference in price with the results. The Fleck's are quality made and not expensive. Northern Bass Supply has a great selection btw!  :D

I don't think the first cast is any different between a cheapie and a well made one, but the cheap ones will warp, chip, and have their skirts fall apart pretty quickly.