Jump to content
Redlinerobert

So How Many Of You Prefer To Use Cash Over A Credit Card/debit?

Recommended Posts

I was reading a story that this younger generation does not carry cash.  Ever.  For me, it's the opposite.  I usually carry cash and prefer to use that over a debit card.  I don't use credit cards for purchases, but if I'm out and about I definitely prefer to use cash. 

 

What say you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostly debit card and then cash. I don't own a true credit card. If I can't pay for now, then it doesn'y get purchased.

 

I know what you mean Redline, a lot of folks that are older than I use cash. I just don't trust a lot of peeps anymore and prefer to not carry a lot of greenbacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use my debit card for almost everything. (Even for those little 2.00 purchaes)

carry 20-40 cash most of the time -I try not use it unless i have to

I have a couple credit cards that i rarely use. ( for emergencies )

Note: i did wear the credit card out back in december on TW. That was an isolated incident. Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im a cash person. The bad thing is I used to carry tens twenties Im now needing to carry fifties hundreds yet not getting any more from what I purchase. IE used to fill up for $8-10 now $60+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cash is something I prefer to use, once i'm out,  i'm done shopping,  it helps to keep me in check when I go places, I plan ahead of time or set a goal to save an X amount for an item, go to the store and make the best decision I can and start saving for the next item.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I run a retail store and pay all vendors with cash and dont accept credit or debit from our customers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rarely use cash anymore.  It's a rare thing for me to have cash on me anymore.  Only when I take long trips or try to hide my Bass Pro purchases from the wife.  LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mostly use a debit card because I use USAA so there isn't like a bank I can just go to to withdraw money. I do how ever prefer cash it makes ya think before you spend at least me anyways same with my soon to be ex wife she would rather use cash cuz she doesn't go threw it as fast it helps her save. She did how ever max out both my credit cards while I was gone so iv got them to pay off with my tax return 1500 between the 2 cards. I had them for emergency or for certain things like reels and hunting gear but at first i or we were good we only used it when we had the funds set aside already I'd buy what ever then pay it off in full. That worked for the first 3 months I was gone then she went to minimum payments and maxed them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cash.  If I don't have the cash then it doesn't get purchased.  For me credit cards are for the high dollar items that get bought every once in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use it all - cash, debit and credit cards.

 

The cash back programs on cards, though not really that much, are OK.

 

There is a convenience factor using cards that the users ends up paying for one way or another.

 

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Credit and edit cards. I get rewards from my credit cards and don't carry a balance so to me any bit of free money/rewards is worth it to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

American Express Card is really my card of choice when I make purchases that are fairly large. I have to pay it off when the bill comes in and if have any problems with the merchant, all you have to do is call American Express and your claim is as good as done and in your favor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all about using cash. Clothes shopping, grocery shopping, toy shopping, girl shopping, I use cash 90% of the time. The other 9.99% of the time I will use my debit card. .01% is credit card.

 

The one thing you NEVER EVER use your credit card or debit card, CASH ONLY, is when you vist the professional massage parlor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cash for everything but gas, recurring monthly bills, and online purchases.  For that we use a CC that has a good cash-back program.  We use cash the majority of the time, and I've found that I can get more out of my cash than a CC.  For example, I was looking for some .22lr ammo at Wal-Mart today.  They were out, but an off-work employee had just bought a case as they were unloading it from the truck.  I watched him purchase it, then offered to meet him in the parking lot and buy a couple of bricks from him.  He agreed and I gave him LESS cash than the price he had just paid (on his CC).  There's power in the sight of that green stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm definitely part of the older generation and use credit cards for anything of significance. My general practice is to use cash for purchases under $10 and the card for everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use cash for most everything now. Except tools at one supply house that wont take cash. Everthing else is done cash in hand or via my debit card over the internet. The only credit card I have left is a BPS card that gets paid off at customer service right after I use it. We are almost competely out of debt, with the exception of one car and this wretched condo ( I would rather live in a box then this rotten place). We amassed 25g in credit card debt and it has taken me the better part of three years to get it all paid off. I have around 1 year left before it is all gone. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer cash, since like others stated you can easly keep track and control purchases however with direct deposit and my bank not having many locations, we typically use debit/credit. For online purchases we try to always use a credit card due to the better fraud/dispute protection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm all about using cash. Clothes shopping, grocery shopping, toy shopping, girl shopping, I use cash 90% of the time. The other 9.99% of the time I will use my debit card. .01% is credit card.

 

The one thing you NEVER EVER use your credit card or debit card, CASH ONLY, is when you vist the professional massage parlor.

Can I get away with it at the not so professional massage parlor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Can I get away with it at the not so professional massage parlor?

Only if you massage them too. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
. Except tools at one supply house that wont take cash.

There was a manager at a local supply house who gave cash discounts and would try and talk guys into paying cash. He fudged all the inventory numbers. The coporate office fired the entire staff at the supply house. Needless to say, word got out and this guy could no longer get hired in Chicago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mainly use cash. Every now and then I'll throw some stuff on the Amex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Only if you massage them too. ;)

Fi dolla make you holla

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fi dolla make you holla

Ten will make you grin.

Some change will get you something strange.

Im not gonna post what you can get for a buck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Can I get away with it at the not so professional massage parlor?

 

 

That's what I meant to say. Thanks for reading my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cash?? Are they still printing that stuff?? I carry I little emergency cash. Unless I'm flea marketing or something like that, some Mom and Pop places give discounts for cash I use it then otherwise not at all. This summer we were having a cookout, Mom needed change for a 20 between the four of us siblings we didn't have 20 in cash. Ages 46-30, don't know if we fit the young demographic Robert mentioned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×