pwahmy

Stained Water Jerkbaits

Okay I know a lot of people shy away from using jerkbaits in stained-muddy water, but if you do what's your favorite color and brand to throw? Thanks. 

I asked a similar question a few months ago - if I can find it with the new format I'll post a link.  

Stained water is a relative term to 'your' body of water but I throw them as often as I can.  I've only consistently been throwing them for about 6 months so I am new to them.  But I use whites like French Pearl or yellow/blacks like Firetiger or similar name.  Various clown colors as well.

They defiantly work better in clearer water and I certainly wouldn't use them in muddy water.

The LUCKY CRAFT Pointer 100DD - 251 Nishiki color has proven effective many times.

Tip - during periods of reduced visibility keep the bait near the bottom.

A-Jay

56840eb625aa1_LUCKYCRAFTPointer-251Nishi

• Like 6

What kind of jerk baits are you talking about ? there are soft and hard.

3 minutes ago, Raul said:

What kind of jerk baits are you talking about ? there are soft and hard.

you would recommend different colors depending on whether or not it is a hard or soft bait?

Nishiki or one of the Crack colors that LC makes.

• Like 1

I assume you are referring to hard jerkbaits so, MB Vision 110 or 110 JR in Clown or Matt Tiger depending on depth and time of year. Occasionally I'll throw a smithwick suspending rogue in clown on spinning gear in water clarity such as you are referring to. 

I have a couple I use in stained water. Nishiki pointer & a bright lime Vision 110. Those are the ones I have had luck with when visibility is low.

1 hour ago, bigfruits said:

you would recommend different colors depending on whether or not it is a hard or soft bait?

What do colors have to do with soft or hard ?

Here's a whole thread running right now on choosing visible lure colors.  The general rule, is to go either bright, or with a dark black/purple/blue profile as visibility becomes more limited. 

The dirtiest water that I've had success with jerkbaits in is 2' of visibility. When I say success, I mean that I was able to catch multiple fish throughout the day and it was better than anything else. The bait I used was the Rapala X-Rap in clown and The Rapala clown pattern is bright, it is bright yellow chartreuse with a bright red head, it is the only clown pattern that I've not been able to catch largemouth on, only smallmouth. If I was fishing largemouth in waters that were stained and I wanted to try a jerkbait, I'd probably go with an X-Rap in a color called "Hot Head", it is very visible and the reason I'd go with the X-Rap is the action. The X-Rap has an extreme darting action followed by it stopping and suspending, the bright color combined with suspending capability and extreme action make it a bait that will stand out in dirty water a little better than most.

I don't know what clear water is in the bayous of South Louisiana!  Always stained to dirty. 

Decided to try jerk baits last December and actually caught a bunch one after another with a Lucky Craft Pointer 78 in Sexy Shad. 

I was really surprised!    

• Like 1

I'd choose one that was shiny or had a strong chartreuse element to it and had lots of rattles.   Less than 3 feet of visibility, I probably wouldn't bother.  I'd be throwing jigs or jika rigs to objects, trying to hit them on the nose with it and make a bite happen.

I use the xraps successfully in 1 foot of visibility . Generally its when bass are just bumping crankbaits . The only ones I have are the silvery ones .

I do well in what I consider stained water with jerkbaits (2-3 feet visibility). Clown and bone are usually pretty solid producers in those conditions.