blckshirt98

Uncle Josh - Discontinuing Pork Trailers

http://fishingtackleretailer.com/end-of-an-era-uncle-josh-to-discontinue-pork-products/

Not sure how many people fish with pork trailers but I've heard from a few pros/guides that using pork trailers in the wintertime makes a difference.  Any alternatives out there?

• Like 1

I do, alot.  I found this out about two weeks ago.  Been stocking up where I can find them in the colors I like.  There's a post under tacklemaking by a guy who makes his own.  Luckily, with a little care, they last a long time.

$15 to $20 a jar on EvilBay now

Doesn't worry me a lot since I caught a 4 1/2 lb. largemouth in 42º water early spring, 2012. I was working a jig dressed with a GYCB twin tail trailer very slowly.  Last year I took a decent smallie on a bucktail jig dressed with a Z-Man Elaztech Split Tail Trailer from 47º water.

The most important things to keep in mind fishing cold water are to work your bait slowly and to fish plastic that doesn't have frantic built-in action.

You also might also consider a hair jig without a trailer of any sort.

White%20With%20Grizzly%20Hackle_zpsgbq1w

White With Grizzly Hackle.JPG

• Like 2

Who said anything about cold water?  I fish them year 'round including dog days of summer. The only reason they were thought to be a cold water bait is because the early plastics were inflexible in cold water whereas pork was more supple. This is no longer the case so pork has fallen by the wayside and plastics are now king.  Most folks don't want to deal with dried out pork so they don't.  But there are any number of methods to keep this from happening.

The OP said that he had heard that "using pork trailers in the wintertime makes a difference." That's why I commented on their use in the cold water period. 

• Like 1

They are a "huge deal" here in the surfcasting market of the Northeast. People have been stockpiling them as have the shops since the announcement that they will no longer make them.... That said, I've used them a few times but stick to other plastic trailers and have never wished I had a pork trailer instead. They work very well, but for me so do a lot of other trailers.

• Like 1

WHAT?!! No more pork trailers??  It was bad enough I couldn't find them, locally.  Now, I won't be able to find them, PERIOD!

• Like 1

I bought a jar of black/blue and black/yellow at Walmart a week ago . Might be the last jars I ever buy .

• Like 1

I've got a stash of jars in my basement. Now I've gotta convince the family that we guard it 24/7 in shifts.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Will Wetline said:

Doesn't worry me a lot since I caught a 4 1/2 lb. largemouth in 42º water early spring, 2012. I was working a jig dressed with a GYCB twin tail trailer very slowly.  Last year I took a decent smallie on a bucktail jig dressed with a Z-Man Elaztech Split Tail Trailer from 47º water.

The most important things to keep in mind fishing cold water are to work your bait slowly and to fish plastic that doesn't have frantic built-in action.

You also might also consider a hair jig without a trailer of any sort.

White%20With%20Grizzly%20Hackle_zpsgbq1w

Love those cheek stripes!

I, too, use them year round. Nothing, and I mean nothing, moves -ripples- like softened pork.

When I started using those new-fangled "rubber-legged" jigs in the 80's I didn't use a trailer and caught plenty of nice bass on them. But after I discovered pork, and then began pre-softening them, I never looked back. Could I survive without it? Yup. But I don't have to.They do last a long time, but I'm grabbing a few more bottles before they disappear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Roberts said:

I, too, use them year round. Nothing, and I mean nothing, moves -ripples- like softened pork.

When I started using those new-fangled "rubber-legged" jigs in the 80's I didn't use a trailer and caught plenty of nice bass on them. But after I discovered pork, and then began pre-softening them, I never looked back. Could I survive without it? Yup. But I don't have to.They do last a long time, but I'm grabbing a few more bottles before they disappear.

What do you mean by "pre-softening"?

Pork comes pretty stiff, and variable. Some, with thin skin, moves a little, thicker ones are stiff as leather. Water is thick stuff so materials need to be really soft if it's going to move in that syrup. The first softened pork I came upon was a jar that had sat for several years and begun to decompose a little. It rippled like... nothing else. After I went through that jar I started pounding out the legs with a hammer. I've read that some people use a rock tumbler to soften pork but I've never owned one. The pounding (firm tapping on a flat surface) may pound out the die so you may want to re-dye the legs, if you care. The fish don't seem to. Would love to hear from others on their pork softening methods.

• Like 1

I've heard some guys using meat tenderizer hammers....also, adding a few drops of glycerin to a jar.....but I never tried it.

A beer (or wine for you fancier people) bottle works too. Try RIT dye for coloring.

1 hour ago, badhatharry said:

I've heard some guys using meat tenderizer hammers....also, adding a few drops of glycerin to a jar.....but I never tried it.

I'd suggest a flat hammer. You don't want to slice the pork and ruin the bait. I'm careful to strike on the flat of the hammer face; the edge can cut the leg. Glycerin... hmmmmm.

Back in the day, 70's/80's, throwing a black/blue jig with a Uncle Josh pork lizard was the real deal. Probably still is if  I could find the lizards.

• Like 2

Super Pork didn't need any conditioning and always floated, too bad Robin closed down his business. Uncle Josh pork was always a crap shoot, some floated, most didn't, some needed tenderizing and some were OK The meat tenderizing hammer worked OK to soften, didn't do much for floatation. Strike King had a pork rind product for a few years with Bill Dance and Hank Parker promoting thier signature Pork O and Bubba frogs, both worked.

Glycerin helps to keep pork rinds soft, a few drops per jar is all that is needed. Rit dye 50/50 mixed with worm water will dye pork rind. I use fresh ground garlic with pure anise oil for a scent with pork on hair jigs because it doesn't mat the hair like most off the self scents will and works good.

The proof is in the pudding, hair jigs with pork rind trailers catch giant bass! It's history now if nobody is producing pork trailers commercially, guess I will have hair jigs with pork trailers all to myself now!

Tom

• Like 3

Hmmm, interesting.  I got a couple of jars I grabbed from the local tackle shop clearance bin but they're not the #11.  Do you pound out the entire trailer and smash down the "thick meaty" section of the trailer or just the thin tails?

1 hour ago, blckshirt98 said:

Hmmm, interesting.  I got a couple of jars I grabbed from the local tackle shop clearance bin but they're not the #11.  Do you pound out the entire trailer and smash down the "thick meaty" section of the trailer or just the thin tails?

Lay the rind skin side down and gently pound the fatty side, just takes a few taps, don't hammer too much. You can fillet the fatty side similar to the sketch shown in the trimming the fat thread and re dye it if needed.

Buying white or white green frogs or any pork rind then dying it whatever color you prefer is easy with Rit liquid dye over night.

Tom

• Like 1

Pork is not just a wintertime, cold water deal, at least not around here. The big bass especially, noticeably prefer it over plastic in some of our local lakes, and not just the big largemouth.

DSCF0653_zps559de351.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/9/2016 at 11:58 AM, blckshirt98 said:

Do as WRB describes. And you are pounding (actually firmly tapping) the legs to soften them. If you use RIT to touch up the dying make sure it's not too hot or it will ruin (cook) the pork.

12 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Pork is not just a wintertime, cold water deal, at least not around here. The big bass especially, noticeably prefer it over plastic in some of our local lakes, and not just the big largemouth.

20150420_101453_zpsxyvzrui9.jpg

Man, that is one chunk of a smallie. A happy one for sure.

Was in Vegas last week. Bass pro Las Vegas had a huge selection.  Buy em up! I brought home 4 jars