Anantha Patel

Weightless Worm, texas rigged vs Weighted Worms, texas rigged

Weightless Worm, texas rigged vs Weighted Worms, texas rigged  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is more productive

• Weighted Texas Rig Worm
    • Weightless Worm, texas rigged

I am a big fan of catching a lot of fish. Recently, I have noticed that my friends were outfishing me by a bit. All of them were fishing weightless trick worms or Roboworms (basically 6" or 7" straight tailed worms),  texas rig, while often catching giants (for Maryland, that is), while I was using a texas rig, weighted, and I just catch dinks. Do you guys think the weightless is more productive? I find that a horiztional fall is what often gets the fish to bite, and it's the case with the weightless texas rig. 

Only the bass know for sure ;)

• Like 6

Sometimes that slow fall of a weightless just kills them, but it's also not always practical to fish a weightless depending how deep the fish are. 

1 hour ago, Catt said:

Only the bass know for sure ;)

Yep! Depends on what the big ones are biting! 

1 hour ago, MassYak85 said:

Sometimes that slow fall of a weightless just kills them, but it's also not always practical to fish a weightless depending how deep the fish are. 

What's the fall rate for a senko? Any idea? 

16 minutes ago, jhc1 said:

What's the fall rate for a senko? Any idea? 

Depends on a lot of things, what line you are using (fluorocarbon will make it fall faster), what size and gauge hook you use, whether you use a weighted hook, and whether or not you are using actual Gary Yamamoto Senko's or another stick bait, since they will all have different material compositions, salt content etc. I just use the Bass pro brand stick-o's and on a 3/0 EWG hook I'd probably guess like a foot every 2 seconds. 

• Like 1

Yes

• Like 1

some days they want the slow fall of a weightless rig. some days then want it crawled on bottom. 
if theres a lot of weeds on bottom i would go with a weightless rig. like  fishing near pads a weightless rig is killer.   if theres a sandy bottom then both can and will work. if they feed heavily on craw fish then a texas rig on bottom. but some days in the clear sandy ponds a slow falling weghtless rig will work better then a bottom crawling texas rig! 

let the bass tell you what they want

• Like 1

Yes. Plastic worm presentations work.

My biggest question is the retrieve. Jerk it like a fluke? Jerk it to the surface after it sinks, and let fall? Small bumps along the bottom?

1 hour ago, Anantha Patel said:

My biggest question is the retrieve. Jerk it like a fluke? Jerk it to the surface after it sinks, and let fall? Small bumps along the bottom?

Yes yes yes. Only the bass can tell you what they want. You have to search trying the different methods. 

1 hour ago, Anantha Patel said:

All of the above! ;)

• Like 1