BankBassing

Strangest thing you've caught while fishing? Here's mine...

So today, while I was dragging a worm around the Ohio River, I catch someone's old snagged line, and as I'm reeling it in, I see something odd wrapped up in it.  I get it to the dock, and sure enough, it's an oyster!  Now, I've pulled in a lot of strange things, but this is something I had never seen before around here.  Didn't even know there were oysters in this part of the country.  I did a little online searching, and it turns out these things are endangered.  Of course, this one was dead, just a shell really, but still pretty cool.  I actually brought it home.  Been thinking about setting up a minnow tank, and this'll make a cool decoration.

IMG_20160825_122343.jpg

• Like 2

Hell I have a scar on my nose and one on my chest from those things in the Ohio river. I was diving off a boat about 100 yards off the front of one of the islands in the Parkersburg pool. Dove a little too deep and hit a shell bed. Bled like a stuck pig. If you ever walk the islands you will find hundreds of shells.

I guess it must depend on where you are fishing. Catching a clam happens quite often to me.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mrmacwvu1 said:

Hell I have a scar on my nose and one on my chest from those things in the Ohio river. I was diving off a boat about 100 yards off the front of one of the islands in the Parkersburg pool. Dove a little too deep and hit a shell bed. Bled like a stuck pig. If you ever walk the islands you will find hundreds of shells.

Really?  I have seen zero up here.  Not on a beach or anything.

The front of Neal island right behind the mall is covered in them. A few years ago some guys got caught taking them and were fined big time. Blennerhassett used to have a bunch but the put rip rap through most of the island.

I cast a cast net once in a saltwater Creek trying to get bait.When I pulled it in there was a Big redfish in it.The weird thing was that it was the head and skeleton only.

• Like 1

I was fishing with a friend of mine and he caught a bag of grapes.  When asked about it, he replies "I kept the bag & released the grapes".

• Like 4

Ive been cat fishing and reeled up a clam about the size of a jaw breaker. Darn thing clamped onto my hook! Ive caught beer/soda cans, a fork, and a small tire. Welcome to the Tennessee River!

• Like 1

Once while grinding a crankbait along the bottom my lure came back with a five dollar bill impaled on the treble. Who says it does not pay to fish?

• Like 11

I reeled in snapping turtles twice. Once was about 6-8lb turtle on 4 lb microcaster.

Hooked into a pretty big snapping turtle once, luckily he got off by himself. I have also caught tons of mussels on lures but it happens enough I don't consider it a weird occurrence. 

My friend caught a cowboy boot once.It was his FIRST CAST ever bass fishing.I nearly fell out of the boat laughing at the suddenly dejected look on his face.I told him"Quick cast over there again and maybe you'll catch the other one!!"

• Like 9

5 hours ago, MassYak85 said:

I have also caught tons of muscles on lures but it happens enough I don't consider it a weird occurrence. 

I don't usually draw attention to unintentionally funny misspellings, typos, or the like.  But, this one made me spit soda all over my computer. :)

• Like 4

I have caught one blue heron, three ducks, a broom, a plastic owl, many water toys, socks, and two swimsuits:wacko:.  Unfortuanately i have also caught way to many giant, angry aligator snapping turtles bent om seperating me from my fingers (or hand) 

Catt has us all beat he snagged a body

If you're of a certain age, you will remember cartoons showing a guy reeling in a 5-buckle overshoe. I caught one on a crankbait.

I also caught an aluminum folding ladder, on a senko. Didn't even feel the bite.

• Like 3

Haven't caught much weird stuff, but I can only imagine what I've gotten snagged on that was too heavy to bring in. Weirdest thing I have reeled in is a complete rod and reel combo. Looked like it was 50 years old. I released her unharmed and she quickly returned to the depths. Funny thing is, in the 10 minutes prior, I had landed two 30"+ northern pike. All three, rod/reel and both pike fought EXACTLY the same way. I was convinced I had another nice northern on while reeling in the combo.

• Like 1

I've caught clams, turtles, frogs, but my most memorable catches have been a domestic goose and a cowboy hat.

A few weeks back I caught a small rock.

I still have it.....thinking about getting it mounted ?

• Like 1

I have caught a lot of strange fish while fishing in South Florida.One of those is the bigmouth sleeper.

i have caught a fishing rod, seagull, umbrella, other lures, I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.

the craziest thing i have ever seen was my buddy caught a large, black "toy". Use your imagination. 

• Like 4