Looking for opinions on the length, power and action of a good all around crank bait rod (Squarebills - Deep Divers). 

Thanks!

If I were to purchase me a crankbait rod this is my option: GLoomis CBR785.

• Like 1

Length is a personal preference but I'd pick either a M or MH moderate fast rod depending on your weed growth. If I was picking out this rod 7' to 7'3" would be my preference.

• Like 1

I think it'd be worth your time to talk with DVT Mike about a custom.  Get what you want!  I bought a Medium power mod fast crankin' rod from him that he'd built on a Mudhole crankbait blank and I absolutely love the thing.  Great sensitivity, great response/recovery, loads and casts 1/4 -1/2 oz really well.  I don't need another crankin' rod but I'd sure like to have him build me another on MH blank for bigger baits.

I'd go with something around 7' in a MH/M if I wanted an all around cranking rod. 

• Like 2

You don't mention a budget, but I was recently reading about the Dobyns Champion 765CB and 764CB RM.  Sound like great rods to me.  Out of my budget, tho.  I also like Jeff's idea about have Mike build you a custom.

You may want to look at the Falcon ccm 4-17. Great all around cranker for squarebills , warts , RK crawler ,Deep little N ect.

A DD22 or 6 XD is too much for it however,

Also makes a nice slab spoon and wobble head rod.

• Like 1

I like using a duckett 6'10" medium rod for small cranks. But for larger cranks I would suggest a 7 ft medium action moderate power

A year or so ago.

For deep cranking, and larger crankbaits, I use a 7'0" MH rod.  For shallow running crankbaits, and smaller crankbaits in general, I like a 6'6" M rod. 

On 12/3/2016 at 2:48 AM, Bluebasser86 said:

I'd go with something around 7' in a MH/M if I wanted an all around cranking rod. 

This.................unless your cranking in, threw, and around a lot of grass. Then a  7' M power Fast action rod is what I prefer. It will handle things like 1.5/2.5 square bills, 1/2 oz lipless baits, and deep divers up to a 5xd very well.