Jump to content
scaleface

Why do you suppose...

Recommended Posts

... bass  hit lures on the fall much more that on the lift . Catfish and white bass are the same way .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO fish see the fall as a time to strike and the lift as a slightly aggresive move by the lure. This might sound stupid, but oh well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pondbassin101 said:

IMO fish see the fall as a time to strike and the lift as a slightly aggresive move by the lure. This might sound stupid, but oh well

Doesnt sound stupid to me . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think about this aspect often - especially when fishing around overhead cover.  

 

Fish probably eat forage that falls into the water all of the time.

 

In my mind - I can see bass capitalizing on insects, small birds, maybe a small fish that a bird has dropped from above while trying to feast on it...something that was clinging on to a dock or a tree and loose it's grip...something that was blown into the water.  

 

To me, that is a big reason why "the fall" has such a high percentage of getting bit. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's easy bass aren't bottom feeders and unlike us dirty humans they don't believe in the 5 second rule. If it hits bottom they leave it for the bottom feeders. ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Falling likely indicates, injury. Injury likely indicates opportunity.

 

Just a thought.

 

also, interestingly, drum on lake erie either slam it while its on the bottom resting, or (most of the time) on the lift, opposite of what we are discussing.

 

You would almost think that a lift, or movement would make them want to react before the prey gets away.

 

Anecdotes and general theories is all I got! Ugh, bass will be bass. Who knows what/why/how they do what they do.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instinct.

 

A bass is always looking up and when something enters the water their senses go into attack or run mode.

 

If they are hungry or just being nasty, they will hit the bait on the fall as it looks like something good to eat or something to kill.

 

Bass do take baits off the bottom. Remember your jigs???

 

Bass are inquisitive animals and that also plays a role in their behavior.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sam said:

Bass do take baits off the bottom. Remember your jigs???

 

Yes . Thats the point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its just a reaction when they have a high activity level they hit a bait asap. I've noticed as the weather cools in the fall they like it lifted off the bottom and rarely hit it on the fall. For me of this usually happens when the water temperature drops below 60 degrees

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sully420 said:

I've noticed as the weather cools in the fall they like it lifted off the bottom and rarely hit it on the fall.

 

I have not noticed that behavior where I fish .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree they believe it's injured food and an easier meal. I'm pretty sure that's just predatorial instinct. But that's just me. I'm definitely not an expert.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bass's brain tells it to bite before it escapes ;)

 

Bass are not bottom feeders?

 

Most crawfish that bass eat are on the bottom, when a crawfish is spooked it'll flip it's tail lifting it off the bottom moving it only several feet then it's back on the bottom in a defensive posture.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Catt said:

The bass's brain tells it to bite before it escapes ;)

 

Bass are not bottom feeders?

 

Most crawfish that bass eat are on the bottom, when a crawfish is spooked it'll flip it's tail lifting it off the bottom moving it only several feet then it's back on the bottom in a defensive posture.

My post was a very very poor attempt at humor. My statement about them not being bottom feeders was completely inaccurate. I'll save the comedy for the comedians and I promise I won't quit my day job. ?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 12poundbass said:

My post was a very very poor attempt at humor. My statement about them not being bottom feeders was completely inaccurate. I'll save the comedy for the comedians and I promise I won't quit my day job. ?

Then your mea culpa stinks :) because I found nothing but humor in your original post...Loved the 5 second rule part...:D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe it is much less related to feeding than we give credit....might be that most predatory threats come from above and that's where their focus is much of the time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jigfishn10 said:

Then your mea culpa stinks :) because I found nothing but humor in your original post...Loved the 5 second rule part...:D

Lol thanks. Still not quitting the day job though!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 12poundbass said:

My post was a very very poor attempt at humor. My statement about them not being bottom feeders was completely inaccurate. I'll save the comedy for the comedians and I promise I won't quit my day job. ?

 

I got what you said ;)

 

Bass are not "bottom feeders" but they will eat prey that's on the bottom!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, Jigfishn10 said:

They see an easy opportunity.

This. If something falls in front of them or sits on the bottom it doesn't require much energy for the bass. If forage is plentiful, there isn't much need for a bass to chase, they can just wait for an easier opportunity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm...

 

For me, the vast majority of strikes on both jigs and soft plastics occur when the bait is lifted off the bottom, 

NOT on the fall.

 

:fishing-026:

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me any weighted bait(jigs, t-rig) normally gets hit after the initial fall and I begin to move it. For weightless presentations its the opposite. 

 

My theory on this is that when I'm fishing these bottom rigs the fish are not very active. Otherwise I'm using a more parralell retrieve( spinner bait, swim jig, crank bait, top water)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it has to do with competition for food whether its scarce or not. If that bass doesn't make that decision to nail something when its falling right past them, they may not get a second chance, another fish my grab it. They can always spit it back out if its something they don't want to eat. Hence attractants, soft plastics with garlic or salt in them, etc, to get the fish to grab and hold onto it to allow you time to set the hook. The trick isn't so much getting them to grab onto it, bass are predatory and aggressive anyway, but getting them to keep it in their mouth long enough for you to know they have grabbed it and to set the hook.

 

I just think bass know if they don't act first, they may not get a bite. Anyone who came from a large family will understand that thought process..... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, toni63 said:

I think it has to do with competition for food whether its scarce or not. If that bass doesn't make that decision to nail something when its falling right past them, they may not get a second chance, another fish my grab it. They can always spit it back out if its something they don't want to eat. Hence attractants, soft plastics with garlic or salt in them, etc, to get the fish to grab and hold onto it to allow you time to set the hook. The trick isn't so much getting them to grab onto it, bass are predatory and aggressive anyway, but getting them to keep it in their mouth long enough for you to know they have grabbed it and to set the hook.

 

I just think bass know if they don't act first, they may not get a bite. Anyone who came from a large family will understand that thought process..... lol

 

I like this last sentence.  They see the bait falling, and if they are feeding or just generally in attack mode, they want to get it before the next guy - beat out the competition, if any.  I remember fishing topwater in Wisconsin when I was a kid (usually a frog or black mouse Hula Popper - loved fishing them along the edges of lily pads), and having a largemouth nail a lure virtually simultaneously with the bait landing on the water, as if they saw it coming and started the attack while it was still in the air.  That's really hitting on the fall. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×