Mayweather vs. McGregor Who ya got?

Gundog

28 minutes ago, Fun4Me said:

I can promise Conor will last longer in a ring than Floyd would last in an octagon.

Mayweather literally wouldn't last 5 seconds in the octagon with Connor. Or any ufc fighter for that matter lol

• Like 1

• Super User

Last time I looked, Vegas has you betting $750 to make $100 ~

I'll not be donating my $$ for this circus act - 

A-Jay

• Like 7

I have such weird feelings about this thing in general.  It's going to be an awful fight unless Mayweather either carries him or McGregor gets ridiculously lucky.  If it somehow goes long (unlikely), it only gets worse for McGregor whose gas tank has been questionable at best.  

This is why boxing and MMA are both a mess right now.  Boxing has improved in recent years, but it still suffers from a narrow appeal, fighters not knowing how to sell fights, and important fights sometimes taking years and years to materialize.  On the upside, guys get paid.

For MMA, since the UFC was sold, it's become a gridlocked disaster that's wasted talent by focusing on nonsense fights and selling fighters like Connor McGregor, Michael Bisping, and Jon Jones because they're marketable, and not for any other reason.  I mean, Bisping, a healthy champion, just watched ringside while two guys that would finish him within two rounds fought for his interim title.  So because of this, guys like Jacare, Romero, Maia, and THE ENTIRE 125LB DIVISION have been basically screwed. Meanwhile, fighters continue to not get paid, typically have little to no medical, have little to no endorsement opportunities of their own, and are essentially property of the UFC brand.  The quality of the fights suffer tremendously, unless someone is a completely casual fan only buying the drama.  

• Like 2

Boxing was also awful for years because of the "cold war" between some of the promotion companies. 2017 has been a ridiculously good year for exciting boxing matches, but I think the damage is done. A lot of the top fights are barely pulling any numbers now because only the hardcore fans care now. 

• Like 2

• Super User
1 hour ago, Fun4Me said:

I can promise Conor will last longer in a ring than Floyd would last in an octagon.

57 minutes ago, CroakHunter said:

Mayweather wouldn't have agreed to the match if he wasn't guranteed a win. Regardless of how the match looks, mayweather will win. 

I thought it was funny that Mayweather and McGregor had to agree on the weight of the gloves. But I agree that he wouldn't have taken the fight if he didn't know he was gonna win. 

39 minutes ago, Turkey sandwich said:

I have such weird feelings about this thing in general.  It's going to be an awful fight unless Mayweather either carries him or McGregor gets ridiculously lucky.  If it somehow goes long (unlikely), it only gets worse for McGregor whose gas tank has been questionable at best.  

I think Mayweather is such a good promoter (of himself) that he is gonna make sure that McGregor at least looks like he can box. He's got 100 million+ reasons to make sure this is a entertaining fight.

2 hours ago, HeavyTwenty said:

Boxing was also awful for years because of the "cold war" between some of the promotion companies. 2017 has been a ridiculously good year for exciting boxing matches, but I think the damage is done. A lot of the top fights are barely pulling any numbers now because only the hardcore fans care now. 

The Kovalev/Ward fights were both incredible.

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
11 hours ago, Gundog said:

I thought it was funny that Mayweather and McGregor had to agree on the weight of the gloves. But I agree that he wouldn't have taken the fight if he didn't know he was gonna win. 

I think Mayweather is such a good promoter (of himself) that he is gonna make sure that McGregor at least looks like he can box. He's got 100 million+ reasons to make sure this is a entertaining fight.

They've been playing their "press conferences" on the morning radio show I listen to and McGregor is 2-0 against Mayweather in these 2 "conferences" so far. 

The egos are waaaaaaay too big for me to care about either boxing or MMA but the circus the past two days have been fun to listen to. Maybe the two morning show host help with that but it's been entertaining. 

These two are probably good friends and are hanging out right now and are laughing all the way to the bank! 

• Like 1

• Super User
13 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Last time I looked, Vegas has you betting $750 to make $100 ~

I'll not be donating my $$ for this circus act - 

A-Jay

Exactly what it is. The fight will drag on for the "entertainment factor" but I doubt Mayweather gets hit very hard. I think this is Mayweather's way of going out as an undefeated 15-0 fighter, retiring on top of the boxing world.

• Like 1

• Super User
15 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Isn't this just so Mayweather can pay off back taxes?

Actually he has enough money to pay off his taxes now easily. IMHO it is about a payday for both fighters. If someone told you they would pay you 100 million to do something you'll been doing for years, wouldn't you take it.

• Global Moderator
8 minutes ago, Gundog said:

Actually he has enough money to pay off his taxes now easily. IMHO it is about a payday for both fighters. If someone told you they would pay you 100 million to do something you'll been doing for years, wouldn't you take it.

Actually his tax lawyer said ( I don't know the terminology) to a judge that he's going to be making money in the near future and will be able to pay them then. He obviously has the assets to pay, but cash?

• Like 2

• Super User

I know they're expecting a windfall of ppv purchases, but I'm thinking that perhaps there won't be as many purchases as they expect....  The bottom line is that Maywaether doesn't show up to fight.  This may as well be a WWF event...

• Like 3

• Global Moderator
11 minutes ago, Redlinerobert said:

I know they're expecting a windfall of ppv purchases, but I'm thinking that perhaps there won't be as many purchases as they expect....  The bottom line is that Maywaether doesn't show up to fight.  This may as well be a WWF event...

It pretty much is already. I think both organizations are throwing hail Mary's hoping they can stir up attention. Mayweather is the heel and McGregor the face. Then there's the circus of their publicity tour going around the world trying to draw more attention and more PPV buyers. Like I said before I don't care for either sport but I never thought it would stoop this low. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Redlinerobert said:

That's the thing - people buy spectacle, man.  This thing is going to set record numbers.  If anything, hopefully it draws fighters away from the UFC or forces them the reform their model.  

As for Mayweather not showing up to fight... I don't love his style, but he is a brilliant fighter and while he lacks the KO power he had early in his career, I do think he can finish McGregor.  McGregor is a southpaw who's made a lot of money throwing the counter left. He happens to be fighting one of the best defensive boxers ever.  This coupled with McGregor makes things really weird/interesting technically, but may actually prove to be a dull fight outside of whatever trash talking they do in the ring.  

Conor isn't going to be able to rely on the same strategies that worked for him against aggressive strikers.  Mayweather is not going to be moving forward in straight lines, leading with his head, or letting McGregor dictate angles.  For Conor to have a chance, he's going to need to stay on the outside, use size, and needs to show dramatically improved footwork to be able to compete with Mayweather and set up counter straights.  Mayweather is better at defending and countering southpaws than rumors would have you believe.  He's excellent at countering to the same side, fights in the pocket likely better than anyone, uses shifts effectively to confuse southpaws, and isn't afraid to throw lead straight rights against southpaws because his movement keeps him safe.  

That said, if anyone reads that and still wants to put up some money against Mayweather, I'll gladly take that bet. :) 

• Like 1

• Super User

I try to teach my son that sports is entertainment. Vegas rules when it comes to sports they don't lose. This could be a Spinks vs Tyson fight over right away or dragged out to a draw for a rematch? Money makes the world go around, sports is a big gambling money draw. So is pay for view.

remember it's entertainment. In MMA I like it we get to see two fighters let loose on each other. It's not like wrestling. I miss Ronda.

have you ever see mike Tyson (boxer)when he's in the groove. His lightening head movement and hand speed is one of the fastest I've ever seen. I think the McGregor is going to have trouble with a boxer. Like I said remember Ali vs Joe rematches?

i was going to get the pay for view but the last time I got pay for view was the spinks vs Tyson fight we were robbed. Good for iron mike bad for us viewers.

• Like 1

• Super User
9 hours ago, DogBone_384 said:

Neither fighter loses. Check their bank statements after the match.

^^^^This. Money talks.

1 hour ago, bigbill said:

have you ever see mike Tyson (boxer)when he's in the groove. His lightening head movement and hand speed is one of the fastest I've ever seen. I think the McGregor is going to have trouble with a boxer. Like I said remember Ali vs Joe rematches?

Mike was amazing in his younger years. His speed and power were phenomenal. Unfortunately, he fought a lot of tomato cans because, at the time, the heavyweight division was not as great as it once was. 

• Super User

I dont care. At all. Forum rules dictate that I do not say what I really think. This debacle is the equivalent of a baseball game between the Yankees and the Patriots. 

• Like 1