Jump to content
Mumbly

Some quick tips :O)

Recommended Posts

Just in case some of you might not know these.....

 

Tip #1: Move your index finger away from the braid when setting the hook.....it slices fingers better than the ginsu 2000.

 

Tip #2: When using your GoPro (mounted on the bill of your hat) to film your fishing adventures and you have the urge to relieve yourself, please turn off GoPro. It will save you some embarrassment and also save cleaning up the beverage of your choice that you just sprayed all over your monitor and computer desk after being surprised by viewing the aforementioned footage.

 

That is all for now....

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if your partner is relieving himself off the back of the boat with one foot in the splashwell and holding on to the motor, make sure you take the trolling motor off 80% before you hit the go button.  

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TOXIC said:

And if your partner is relieving himself off the back of the boat with one foot in the splashwell and holding on to the motor, make sure you take the trolling motor off 80% before you hit the go button.  

Yes...take it off 80% and put it on 100% or high bypass :lol1:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....and remember  to pull your bow anchor up before moving to your next spot......it doesn't  play well with stainless props .

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warn the backseat partner before trimming the motor. Scares me every time.

22 hours ago, NHBull said:

.....and remember  to pull your bow anchor up before moving to your next spot......it doesn't  play well with stainless props .

My dad was notorious for this. But he had a pontoon that went 25 MPH max so he wouldn't get them in the prop. We started using concrete blocks for anchors because it was much cheaper to lose them.Both the rope lugs on his pontoons were bent from doing this.

 

If your boat won't start check the kill switch. Yep, I actually missed fishing time because my kill switch was open. Always work from the easiest fix to the harder stuff during the process of elimination.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, the reel ess said:

Warn the backseat partner before trimming the motor. Scares me every time.

My dad was notorious for this. But he had a pontoon that went 25 MPH max so he wouldn't get them in the prop. We started using concrete blocks for anchors because it was much cheaper to lose them.Both the rope lugs on his pontoons were bent from doing this.

 

If your boat won't start check the kill switch. Yep, I actually missed fishing time because my kill switch was open. Always work from the easiest fix to the harder stuff during the process of elimination.

I knew I was the only one.  I to have a pontoon boat, but it can run up to 40 mph.......ordering a Lund this fall........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, the reel ess said:

 

If your boat won't start check the kill switch. Yep, I actually missed fishing time because my kill switch was open. Always work from the easiest fix to the harder stuff during the process of elimination.

i had just bought my current bass boat. me and my cousin were "breaking it in" one afternoon. i idled into a cove and killed the switch, trolling motor down and we got to fishing. after about 45 minutes or so, we decided to move. i hit the switch.....nothing. my cousin busted out laughing. nothing again, more laughter. i was sick, i checked all my connections and was just about to switch batteries when i saw it. i had failed to pull the throttle all the way back into neutral before killing the big motor. "click" and she fired right up. lots more laughter. i hate his guts ; - )

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are using an anchor always remember to tie off the anchor line to the boat before you drop the anchor. Luckily I was in shallow water and the rope was floating.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, if you are using a spinning reel, make sure the bale is open before trying to make a cast. I'm guilty...lol...unfortunately I've done that a few times. I get in too much of a hurry, sometimes, to get my lure back in the water and forget to open the bale. I've only lost one plastic worm so far, the line stayed at about a foot from my rod tip while the worm flew out about 30 yards. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our first boat.  Beautiful Ranger aluminum.  Second trip out.  After 45 minutes of fishing my wife says, "We sure are sitting low in the water back here".   Thank goodness for auto-bilge.  

 

Step 1:  Put the plug in.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye that's what the shutter button's for :D  I do need to start remembering to turn off my GoPro more often though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Make sure you have a specific mounting surface BEFORE you mount your fire extinguisher.

4 screw through the gel -coat on a new correct craft...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When launching the boat by yourself make sure you tie the rope to both boat and the trailer.

Unless you like 7am swims in April in Ohio.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2017 at 10:29 AM, the reel ess said:

If your boat won't start check the kill switch

My dad made this mistake last year :lol:

He trolled for an hour and a half back to the camp, and he texted me about the issue. I asked if the kill switch was in and a few minutes later he texted back, "Are you kidding me!!!" LOL

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do a quick checklist before you leave the house

 

Always tell someone where your going

 

Keep toilet paper in the boat

 

Vaseline will make pedestal seats stop squeaking and won't make a mess 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2017 at 7:34 AM, TOXIC said:

And if your partner is relieving himself off the back of the boat with one foot in the splashwell and holding on to the motor, make sure you take the trolling motor off 80% before you hit the go button.  

 

I've about been thrown in a few times from this. Standing on that back little step pad on the back corner of the boat and whomp...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, j bab said:

My dad made this mistake last year :lol:

He trolled for an hour and a half back to the camp, and he texted me about the issue. I asked if the kill switch was in and a few minutes later he texted back, "Are you kidding me!!!" LOL

 

Watched my dad do this on his pontoon about 5 years ago. Motor wouldn't start at the dock. Drove to local marina to ask for advice and guy behind the counter said "Did you check the kill switch?". My dad says, "Yeah, I checked that and it was fine". "Well it sounds like the kill switch is engaged, maybe check that again first".

 

We get back in the car and my dad looks at me and says "I didn't even know it HAD a kill switch!".  Sure enough that was the problem....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always carry extra batteries for your trolling motor remote when using an automatic stow and deploy model for launching

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sully420 said:

Always carry extra batteries for your trolling motor remote when using an automatic stow and deploy model for launching

story time...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, j bab said:

story time...?

Could have been a good story fortunately for me the wind was in my favor and blew my boat back to me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2017 at 8:48 PM, lo n slo said:

i had just bought my current bass boat. me and my cousin were "breaking it in" one afternoon. i idled into a cove and killed the switch, trolling motor down and we got to fishing. after about 45 minutes or so, we decided to move. i hit the switch.....nothing. my cousin busted out laughing. nothing again, more laughter. i was sick, i checked all my connections and was just about to switch batteries when i saw it. i had failed to pull the throttle all the way back into neutral before killing the big motor. "click" and she fired right up. lots more laughter. i hate his guts ; - )

 

I was guilty of this just a few weeks ago... Jet motor wouldn't start so assumed I had a rock in the grate or the impeller (the culprit of multiple similar instances). After standing about nipple-deep in the river trying to find it for 20 minutes, I realized it wasn't in neutral. Thankfully it was about 90-degrees that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring extra spark plug(s).

 

I bought my first boat from a guy my wife worked with.  We took it out for a test run on Lake Austin and all was good.  First time out was a 2 day trip to Gibbons Creek.  We were 3rd in line to launch, got the boat in the water and the motor would not start.  I took the spark plug out and it looked awful.  We ended up trolling around for a few hours and then went back into Bryan for a spark plug.  The guy at Sears couldn't figure out why they didn't have it.  Finally figured out I had to go to a Johnson dealer.  By the time we got there they were closed (noon on a Saturday!) and not open on Sunday.  Fortunately we found an Evinrude dealer that was open and he had the right spark plug.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2017 at 1:04 AM, Mumbly said:

Tip #2: When using your GoPro (mounted on the bill of your hat) to film your fishing adventures and you have the urge to relieve yourself, please turn off GoPro. It will save you some embarrassment and also save cleaning up the beverage of your choice that you just sprayed all over your monitor and computer desk after being surprised by viewing the aforementioned footage.

 

You know the ole saying, it pays to advertise.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ClackerBuzz said:

You know the ole saying, it pays to advertise.

Lol....try as I might, I am unable edit and save the original video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×