Bassguytom

Drop shot baits

Hi Everyone, still iced over here. I will be drop shotting a lot more this year and have always used a worm of some sort. Does anyone use anything else like minnow  imitations or craws? My wheels are turning while I’m waiting out the cold. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks. 

Almost any bait can be used for drop shotting.

I've had the most luck with a 5" thin senko wacky rigged on a drop shot. 

I'm a big fan of Strike King KVD Dream Shots or flukes.  Also have heard that the Crosstail Shads from Jackal are really good.  Ordered a few packs last week to check out.

• Like 1

Shad shaped worm from Yamamoto gulp minnow, reins bubble shaker, reapers to me they imitate leeches shape wise.

• Like 1

I've played around with a Bizz Baits Killer Kraw a little bit and had some luck. The fish were already hitting the craw profile on the bottom and it just stopped so i decided to try the dropshot and get it up off of the bottom. Well, it worked out pretty well. i was getting hit on the initial fall and/or when i reeled back up, so it made sense to keep it in their faces. 

I've heard Rage Craws recommended on here a bunch as well. Just give it a try come open water! Never know what tid bits you'll discover! 

Brings a tear to my eye to see my favorites both mentioned.  Yamamoto 5" Pro Senko and the Shad Shape Worm.  Since I always T-rig my DS baits, those are my go to.  If there are fish around, they will hit those 2 baits all day, every day and twice on Sunday.  :lol:

For Dropshot baits I like, in no particular order:

Roboworms

Biospawn Plasmatails

Zoom Z Drop worms

Yamamoto shad shaped worms

3 or 4" Dingers or Senkos

Strike King Dreamshots (tails get bit off A LOT)

Yum kill/Warning shots and sharp shooters

Anything will work, but its almost some kind of worm for me. Second would be a Fluke style bait.

Had pretty good luck with ZMan ShadZ.

I prefer various Zman products, though the first drop shot fish I caught was a walleye on a Zoom Finesse worm! :blink:

I think drop shotting is less about which bait and more about the technique itself, keeping the bait off of the bottom and finnese (don't move the rod). You can use small baits or large baits (Bubba shotting). 

But I have had a lot of luck with zoom trick worm, roboworm / bps 4" finnese worm, kvd dream shot, and a small ribbon railed worm with a slow retrieve. 

Zman TRD Tubez

Strike King Dreamshot

Zoom 4" Lizards

I usually start with a plasma tail, but I have used baby brush hogs with some pretty shocking success, as well as drop shot minnow by Berkley.

2 hours ago, SJex said:

Zman TRD Tubez

I am going to try these as a drop shot bait this year. Hooking it through the solid nose part seems like a great idea for dropshotting.

6 minutes ago, NYWayfarer said:

I am going to try these as a drop shot bait this year. Hooking it through the solid nose part seems like a great idea for dropshotting.

I did really well doing this with the smaller Savage Gear Goby Tubes.  So well, I had to buy a bunch after my samples ran out. :ph34r:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TOXIC said:

Brings a tear to my eye to see my favorites both mentioned.  Yamamoto 5" Pro Senko and the Shad Shape Worm.  Since I always T-rig my DS baits, those are my go to.  If there are fish around, they will hit those 2 baits all day, every day and twice on Sunday.  :lol:

Apologize in advance for the threadjack, but I was curious, @TOXIC, what hooks you use for those?  I've always used octo/circle hooks for dropshot and never texposed.

There's WAY too many good dropshot baits these days. I'm glad nobody has mentioned my favorite yet... 

... ok fine Power Team Lures Finicky Tickler. 

I see you live in bucks county ,I shouldn't mention this because we may fish some of the same waters.lol.ive used lots of things but one of my favorites that nobody has mentioned so far is the erie darter. especially smoke purple in clear water.

14 minutes ago, padon said:

I see you live in bucks county ,I shouldn't mention this because we may fish some of the same waters.lol.ive used lots of things but one of my favorites that nobody has mentioned so far is the erie darter. especially smoke purple in clear water.

I got a giant walleye last year drop shotting a green pumpkin erie darter haha. 

I'll usually put on a fluke or a straight tailed worm.