5by3

Best whopper plopper 110 rod

Looking for suggestions on your favorite rod for throwing whopper ploppers, specifically the 110 (95% of the time) and 130 sizes. 

I’d like something with more of a parabolic bend. Would a dobyns 705cb be able to handle the 110? Or would you rather opt for the 736cb or a different brand altogether?

I haven't thrown a plopper yet, but if I was I'd be using my 7'5 mh cabelas zx crankshaft. Rated 3/8-1 1/2 ounces for the 110 and 130

705 is pushing it /w the 110 and not even close to being enough for the 130

764 would work great for both the 110 and 130. Not a stiff rod and not a super fast rod either. 734 isn't enough rod. 736 glass would probably work but I haven't used it to say much about it. 

MHX CB906, or CB928.

Both blend, moderate action. The 906 will also put a DT10, 5-6XD into the next lake. Good gear for the $$$

This doesn't help but I throw mine on a 734C with braid.  It works fine.

7'7" Daiwa Tatula medium power and moderate action.  I use this setup with top water baits like Whopper Ploppers and Jitterbugs.  For Chug Bugs, Pop Rs, Spooks etc. I like to use a 6'8" medium power, extra fast action St. Croix Mojo. 

Powell 765MMH.  It's rated 1/4 to 2oz and I can absolutely hurl a WP130 with it.  It casts a mile.   

My buddy has the fury 734 and it works good for the 90 and 110 size. Wouldn’t do so hot on the 130 though. 

E6x swimbait rod

Last year I used a 7' Heavy/Fast Daiwa Aird with 65 lb braid (my frog rod) and I lost two of probably what would have been the biggest bass I caught all year because the trebles ripped out. A more parabolic rod is definitely a good idea.

I purchased a 7'10" Cabela's Crankshaft ZX (rated 5/8 oz to 2-1/4 oz) specifically to throw the larger size ploppers in hopes that the rod will be more forgiving. I would use mono to gain some stretch but I am afraid that with the size of the plopper I would snap it off and send it across the lake or deep into the bank with a fouled cast.

I fish them a lot with a 7' M/F Ethos Micro and 20lb braid. Cast a mile and I can just reel into a strike. I use a 7' 3" H/F Ethos Micro with 50lb braid for the 130.

I was initially throwing my 110s on a St Croix AXC74HF which was my frog rod but now I throw it on a St Croix BXC74MHMF. 

Thanks for all the great advice. I’m still intrigued about the dobyns 736cb Glass rod as it has great reviews online. Has anyone used it for ploppers? I like the fact that it can also throw Chatterbaits, large spinnerbaits, and deep cranks if needed.

2 minutes ago, 5by3 said:

Thanks for all the great advice. I’m still intrigued about the dobyns 736cb Glass rod as it has great reviews online. Has anyone used it for ploppers? I like the fact that it can also throw Chatterbaits, large spinnerbaits, and deep cranks if needed.

@iabass8 ^^  thoughts? I haven’t fished the 2 chatterbait Rods

3 hours ago, 5by3 said:

I have a couple of them.  It would work fine for 110's.  I wouldn't go any larger than that.

It is excellent for chatterbaits and spinnerbaits.  And as you mentioned I'll use it for 5xd's and 6xd's also.

Irod Genesis II 723C

The 110's I throw on a Denali Attax 7ft. Heavy..Just a great action for the plopper. It will handle the 130 size also.

I’ve actually found that the Kistler KLX MH worked out really well for me when throwing ploppers. 

Berkley Lightning Rod Shock. Since it is designed for braid, it has the perfect action for ploppers & cranks. And it is very budget friendly.

Mine are thrown on a Carbonlite MH fast tip on 14 lb mono and it works for other top waters also.