SoFloSully

What are your favorite rod brands?

If you guys had to rank the best rod brands in your opinion what would you say? If there are rods that you think are better build for certain techniques what would you rank for technique specific rods? 

The simple answer is I strongly lean toward GLoomis casting rods and St. Croix spinning. A few crossovers (SC casting, Loomis spinning) and a couple other  brands in the quiver. It wasn't a conscious decision but that's how it shook out when I look at the rods I've kept and use the most. 

And I prefer to buy American. 

• Like 2

While the claim on the logo might be a little over the top, St Criox's been making a quality product for going on 70 Years now. 

decstc-l.jpg

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 4

When it comes to rods name brand is meaningless to me!

I had a G. Loomis broken by someone, replaced it a Shimano Crucial & feel like it went up in sensitivity.

I'm not one that could order a rod off line or have one custom made. I have to have it in my hands before I make a decision!

• Like 3

I would have to say st. Croix is an all around good rod company but I have actually been really impressed with bass pros rods they have a pretty good value if you ask me the carbonlite and the Jonny Morris signature are both amazing rods imo.

• Like 1

I don’t think there is really a bad rod brand. They all serve a purpose within the given price range.   My 5 year old fishes a ugly stick and she can catch them.   I think a better question would be what is the best rod within a given price range.  It’s so hard to choose.  So many great options.   But if I had to give my favorite 3.  St. Croix. G. Loomis. Megabass.   I did just buy a Phenix feather that I am really impressed with.      

• Like 1

1-G-Loomis

2-Colmic

3-St. Croix

In that order! I have a few rods from other companies but these 3 are by far my favorites and make 90% of my combos...

• Like 1

It depends on the need/technique, funds on hand, and what bargains I stumble across.

• Like 1

I fish all Daiwas, I’m willing to try something new yet happy with what I’ve got. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catt said:

I'm not one that could order a rod off line or have one custom made. I have to have it in my hands before I make a decision!

^^This

I have St. Croix, Abu Garcia, Diawa, Berkley, and BPS rods. I buy the one that feels right when I hold it.

• Like 2

Loomis, Phenix, Fenwick and Falcon but not necessarily in that order. 

Mike

• Like 1

St. Croix.

Got 1st one about 10 years ago. Every rod purchased since then has been a St. Croix.

There may be comparable/better rods out there but it is an expensive learning curve. With the St. Croix rods I feel I am getting the biggest bang for my buck. Rods last me decades so I don't want to make a mistake and never have with their rods.

• Like 1

Irod, Megabass, Daiwa, and the unmentionables. 

• Like 1

Daiwa and Irod have impressed me the most, Fenwick is up there for me too  

• Like 1

I think your post asks three questions.  Favorite brand of rod.  Best rod brand.  Best built for certain techniques.  (This could be broken down into umpteen techniques as the company making the best Drop Shot rod may not be making the best jig rod, etc.)

I have at least 19 different brands of rods.  (Many with only one example.)  Yet I am a long ways from having tried every brand out there.  I doubt many on here have tried every brand.  Their opinion will be based on their experiences with the rod companies they have tried...just like mine is.

I think the Tatula and Elite Tech Smallmouth are some of the absolute best rods for the money.  They are favorites of mine, but that doesn't necessarily make Daiwa and Fenwick the best rod brands.  Doesn't make them the best for the techniques I use them for either.

• Like 1

G loomis

StCroix

Kistler

• Like 1

Shamano on Loomis just feels right. I will never know if these are the best, but for me, they are.

• Like 1

GLoomis

Shimano

GraphiteLeader

I always wanted a Megabass ( specifically the Bearing Down ) but it always eluded me for one reason or another so I simply forgot about them.

• Like 1