Jump to content
new2BC4bass

Another Hi-Vis braid thread.

Recommended Posts

I have a few questions.  Need a highly visible braided line.  My initial thought was to use nothing heavier than 10#...preferably less.  Will a line that light still be highly visible, or will I need to go heavier?  I am using 10# Ghost on my panfish rod.  Seem to see it ok.  I do prefer the Neon Tangerine of the Siege and have no problem seeing it in 8 lb.  However, there are braids thinner than the 4# equivalent of 10# Ghost.

 

I see Hi-Vis is available in yellow, pink, fluorescent fire and neon lime.  Then we have white Ghost and KastKing has a blue line.  Does that cover all the possible options?  Is the blue easy to see?  I can find most companies on TW, but I don't think they carry every brand and I know they don't carry every option in all the lines they do carry.  So what else is available?

 

How light can you buy braid?  I found as light as 5#.  One of the reels for this line is a 1500 Daiwa.  Not exactly a line holding champ.

 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother uses either 10 lb PowerPro Yellow or maybe its something lighter, not exactly sure, on his ultralight and it's very visible. I don't know if this helps or not for those exact other brands, but he seem to do well with it, he can cast weightless trout magnets *decently* far with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, new2BC4bass said:

Is the blue easy to see?

What color is the water you are fishing and what are you using the line for?  I fish water that gets a ton of farm field run-off.  It's a greenish-tint water full of brown silt.  Hi-vis yellow works great for me.  You should find the braid that is most visible in the water color you fish the most.  Do you need a braid that floats or is "neutral"?  Sufix 832 is a neutrally buoyant braid that is available as small as 6lb, which is .006 inch or equivalent to 2lb mono.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, light blue line is hard for me to see. I had some 30lb in a baitcaster and it was tougher to see than moss green 15lb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Water visibility is not very good.  I am going to be setting up 2 rods...one for Ned Rig and one for Drop Shot.  Both new techniques for me.  My understanding is both techniques require line watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally...I like PP yellow for all waters in 8lb test...with a 6lb leader.  May have to try the orange suffix though...sounds interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year I am going with a yellow and pink.  Last year I realized I am more of a visual fisherman and going out at dusk with moss green cripples me.

 

Also, TW doesn't always carry the full line of colors made by certain brands.  It is best to look at the manufacturer's site

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Oregon Native said:

Personally...I like PP yellow for all waters in 8lb test...with a 6lb leader.  May have to try the orange suffix though...sounds interesting.

I really like Siege Neon Tangerine.  Sufix Performance Fluorescent Neon Fire braid sure looks orange in pictures.

 

11 minutes ago, NHBull said:

This year I am going with a yellow and pink.  Last year I realized I am more of a visual fisherman and going out at dusk with moss green cripples me.

 

Also, TW doesn't always carry the full line of colors made by certain brands.  It is best to look at the manufacturer's site

Be sure to post back how you like the pink.  It is a color i thought about using, but I read that it becomes invisible pretty fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also on the PowerPro yellow.  You can see it very easily even with the lighter lines.  Tie a fluoro leader to it and you're good to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stick with yellow power pro slick 8. I have 15 on my dropshot and 20 on my senko. I often use a flouro leader (seaguar blue label) of 6 or 10lb. Wether i use the leader depends on where im fishing, water clarity and structure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 10 lb yellow braid on my spinning set ups and 50 lb yellow braid on my casting setups. I can see both no problems.

 

Trying kastking brand this year after numerous positive reviews here. 

 

I usually use a leader, best of the both words in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use charteuse/lime when I want a hi-viz braid. I think that I can see yellow just as well, but I like chartruse better as a color, so thats my super scientific reason for picking it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was at the Classic last year, I noticed several pros with multiple colors on the deck. I assume they were using that as a way to grab the rod/reel they needed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 6:53 AM, Oregon Native said:

Personally...I like PP yellow for all waters in 8lb test...with a 6lb leader.  May have to try the orange suffix though...sounds interesting.

What’s the advantage of the 6-8lb braid vs 10lb? Just distance? It seems to me the 10-30lb is as castable as you could want and won’t break which is really the point of braid. At 6-8 you might as well use straight flouro or a flourescent line for hi vis

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not Oregon Native, but in my case I bought a finesse rod rated 4-8 lb.  Braid usually breaks quite a ways above its rating.  I put 5 lb. braid on mine to continue the finesse theme.  To continue with the thread...it is a Hi-Vis Yellow. Haven't had it on the water yet, but at 1.5 lb. mono equivalent I am not sure how "Hi-Vis" it is going to be.  Thus my original question.  10 lb. PP is 2 lb. mono equivalent and 10 lb. 832 equates to 4 lb.  I would think 832 would have the visibility advantage.

 

I have 10 lb. 832 on one rod.  Maybe I can find out if there is any advantage to going lighter.  Now that I think about it I don't remember having a problem seeing the 10 lb 832.  Actually kind of forgot I had it.  I'd imagine 6-8 lb. fluoro or fluorescent lines would still wind up giving more line twist than braid.

 

 I have 60# braid on a frog rod.  Am positive the rod isn't rated for 60# line.  I could use 30# on my finesse rod without damaging it, but that is a bit overkill and I wouldn't feel like I was finesse fishing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use ghost 832 because I don't like yellow, more of a confidence thing, but a lot of guys like the red powerpro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fireline Ultra 8 in white- I use 6# on the trout rods and 20# for steel head. I throw hardware and floats and cant see anything that is not high vis and the white is very easy to see.

For mono its Seige and Elite in orange and yellow or siglon f in pink. Tried the sunline supernatural in blue and that is impossible for me to see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JackKlassen said:

I use ghost 832 because I don't like yellow, more of a confidence thing, but a lot of guys like the red powerpro.

I like both yellow and ghost... prefer ghost on sunny days when it’s so bright the yellow seems to almost glow and is harder to track.  Either are good IMO.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Joshua Vandamm said:

What’s the advantage of the 6-8lb braid vs 10lb? Just distance? It seems to me the 10-30lb is as castable as you could want and won’t break which is really the point of braid. At 6-8 you might as well use straight flouro or a flourescent line for hi vis

I like the lower stretch of braid plus the viability and lastly the lighter braid falls better/faster and I can cast a long long ways which i like for fishing deeper water where I fish.  I have used the ten and it's great...but six and eight just seem to work!?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 6:48 AM, new2BC4bass said:

one for Ned Rig and one for Drop Shot.  Both new techniques for me.  My understanding is both techniques require line watching.

Not if you use a sensitive stick and fluoro.  I think braid is a poor choice for either technique. Too much bow in the line, zero slack line sensitivity, and the lack of stretch doesn't perform well with thine wire finesse hooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, J Francho said:

Not if you use a sensitive stick and fluoro.  I think braid is a poor choice for either technique. Too much bow in the line, zero slack line sensitivity, and the lack of stretch doesn't perform well with thin wire finesse hooks.

I am getting a used 6'10" ML Fantasista Regista.  Suppose to be pretty sensitive from what little info I can find on it.  I bought a 2000 Procyon on closeout last year over the winter.  No line on it yet.  I will try a fluorocarbon on this rod.  8# is in the middle of the rod's rating so I'll probably go with that size.  Tatsu is more than a "bit" expensive.  I have a gift card for DSG so I suppose I could go that route.  Any suggestions for a good line that isn't quite that expensive?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use chartreuse 30# Suffix 832 to an 8# copoly leader on my BFS rig.  Works great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cousin uses yellow braid when he bass fishes and he seems to do well with it,even in the clear waters we fish in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh, I can't even imagine using over 10 lbs. braid mainline if you mean spinning tackle. Most use either a 6 or 8 lbs. fluorocarbon leader attached to it.

 

It is not just about casting distance, it has to do with the intended way spinning tackle is fished opposed to casting gear. If you are letting your rod do the work, only reeling down on line, and more, have your drag set correctly or are proficient at back-reeling, 10 is all you need, certainly for finesse drop shots and Ned Rigs.

 

Speaking of color, the one I have used and can see very well is Sufix 832 in the yellow color. 

 

You asked about smaller braids. The best I have ever used is Sufix Nanobraid (not to be confused with another line, Berkley Nanofil). I have landed up to 4 lbs. LMBs and about the same size catfish (while panfishing) with it in 2 lbs. test. They make it up to 14 lbs. and the 14 has about the same diameter as 10 lbs. Sufix 832. 

 

Unfortunately, if you want color, Nanobraid doesn't come in any bright choices. But, it is a great line for finesse stuff.

 

Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2018 at 10:09 PM, new2BC4bass said:

Not Oregon Native, but in my case I bought a finesse rod rated 4-8 lb.  Braid usually breaks quite a ways above its rating.  I put 5 lb. braid on mine to continue the finesse theme.  To continue with the thread...it is a Hi-Vis Yellow. Haven't had it on the water yet, but at 1.5 lb. mono equivalent I am not sure how "Hi-Vis" it is going to be.  Thus my original question.  10 lb. PP is 2 lb. mono equivalent and 10 lb. 832 equates to 4 lb.  I would think 832 would have the visibility advantage.

 

I have 10 lb. 832 on one rod.  Maybe I can find out if there is any advantage to going lighter.  Now that I think about it I don't remember having a problem seeing the 10 lb 832.  Actually kind of forgot I had it.  I'd imagine 6-8 lb. fluoro or fluorescent lines would still wind up giving more line twist than braid.

 

 I have 60# braid on a frog rod.  Am positive the rod isn't rated for 60# line.  I could use 30# on my finesse rod without damaging it, but that is a bit overkill and I wouldn't feel like I was finesse fishing.

 

 

Just FYI, the rating is for mono but You don't have to match rod weight rating to your line. No one's rod is 65lb rated, but they use it for topwater etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×