Blkcloud

Trolling motor running backwards??

Went fishing today and my tm prop is running backwards. It's a motorguide w55.. last November was the last time I fished .. it worked fine then.. I have not done anything other than charge the battery.. it stays on my boat lift and has had the same battery for a year... the plug on the wire end will only go in one way.. any ideas? Thanks! 

That happenned to me once when I connected the positive clamp to the negative post and the negative to positive by mistake.

If thats not it I have no idea.

• Like 1

Yep, check to make sure you have your wires on the right post. 

If you truly have not changed anything, that would be strange. I think the wires have been crossed by someone.

A long time ago I replaced the rack and pinion steering assembly in my old boat. I put it in wrong and got to the lake and my steering wheel was backwards...that was a strange trip.

• Haha 2

I know in certain conditions a battery can reverse polarity but it is rare.  

Welcome aboard!

Yup, wired backwards most likely (on the battery).

Reversed the neg and pos connection somewhere between the battery and TM switch.

DC is direct current and electric motors run forward wired one way and reverse wired the opposite.

Tom

I had to take mine apart recently and replace the parts and when I put it back together it was running backwards. I did some research and the motor I think its called the arm assembly had to be spun 180 degrees and it ran forward instead of backwards. If you haven't taken apart I wouldn't think this would be a problem, but it was a pretty easy fix for me once I figured it out.