Jump to content
Neil McCauley

Bunnies....bunnies EVERYWHERE in my neighborhood

Recommended Posts

Recently moved to a more rural suburban development and am shocked how many bunnies there are running around right now. They outnumber the squirrels and are much less timid, I can walk right up to within a few yards of them and they don't flinch. They've even attracted predators like a coyote I saw in my backyard a few weeks ago. Wondering how I could legally hunt them this fall in my little patch of woods despite being relatively close (~100 yds) to dwellings. 

What my neighborhood looks like lately:

B3zxxIv.gif

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Build yourself an old fashioned rabbit gum.  They are easy to use and make no noise.  You can find You tube videos of how to build them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow !  

My dogs would be in Heaven & have a field day.

I'd expect carnage.

btw - how long have they been growing palm trees in upstate NY ?

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small game license and a pellet rifle.  Be careful, though and check with town rules. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to echo what @J Francho said but add to it. If you're in the city limits and have to use a pellet gun get the highest fps gun you can get. You want to kill them not wound them and make them suffer. If you're outside the city limits I'd get a .22, also check and see how far away from a dwelling you have to be to discharge a firearm (this is only if you go the .22 route).

 

Air rifles have gotten very popular over the past couple years and have become very powerful. 

 

If you get a couple cook them up they're pretty darn good to eat. And yes it is similar to chicken. 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 12poundbass said:

If you're in the city limits and have to use a pellet gun get the highest fps gun you can get.

I have a break-barrel spring .177 that gets 1200 fps.  Had a friend that worked for Crossman, and modded these things.  With the carbon tipped tactical pellets, death is as sure as your aim.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I have a break-barrel spring .177 that gets 1200 fps.  Had a friend that worked for Crossman, and modded these things.  With the carbon tipped tactical pellets, death is as sure as your aim.

Yup. They have or used to have a hunting show on one of the outdoor channels and they were hunting bigger animals like dyker (I'm sure I spelled it wrong) in Africa and other animals you'd never think a 'pellet gun' would take down. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J Francho said:

Small game license and a pellet rifle.  Be careful, though and check with town rules. 

^^^ this.

I have a few break barrel air rifles for urban pest control.

177 caliber is great for rabbits.

My 22 caliber has taken several rabbits, a few raccoon, and one coyote.

Just make sure they are in season and you have the correct license. 

Modern air rifles are powerful. Be careful if around dwellings or other people and make sure your neighbors are ok with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, A-Jay said:

 

btw - how long have they been growing palm trees in upstate NY ?

:smiley:

A-Jay

pfft...transplants  🤭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have lived in the same home since 1989 and noticed natural cycles that last about 8 years or so.  First will be a couple of years with a booming rabbit population.  Then suddenly we will have an influx of coyote who are obviously after the rabbits as well as small neighborhood pets.  After a few years of that, the rabbits are gone & the coyotes focus on pets & trashcans.  The give up after a couple of years and we then have neither around until the next rabbit boom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OCdockskipper said:

We have lived in the same home since 1989 and noticed natural cycles that last about 8 years or so.  First will be a couple of years with a booming rabbit population.  Then suddenly we will have an influx of coyote who are obviously after the rabbits as well as small neighborhood pets.  After a few years of that, the rabbits are gone & the coyotes focus on pets & trashcans.  The give up after a couple of years and we then have neither around until the next rabbit boom.

We have the same cycles here. Currently we are in a heavy rabbit cycle. the Coyotes are getting thicker.

One neighbors cat came up missing and another neighbors schnoodle was attacked but somehow survived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 12poundbass said:

I'm going to echo what @J Francho said but add to it. If you're in the city limits and have to use a pellet gun get the highest fps gun you can get. You want to kill them not wound them and make them suffer. 

Plus they make a god awful noise when wounded and you're sure to not be real popular with the neighbors when they find you out there putting the finishing shot on a poor, defenseless bunny. 

 

We have so many coyotes that it's really rare to see a rabbit. No idea what the coyotes are eating, I assume mainly the neighbors cats and chickens the way they like to hang around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Compound, recurve, or long bow, arrows with the flu-flu vanes on them, and then a g5 small game head or innerloc falcon claw broadhead. Nearly silent, the arrows don't travel far with the flu-flu vanes on them and the 2 broadheads I've listed are great for small game and prevent you from passing through your target but still delivering a lethal hit with minimal penetration.

Compound, recurve, or long bow, arrows with the flu-flu vanes on them, and then a g5 small game head or innerloc falcon claw broadhead. Nearly silent, the arrows don't travel far with the flu-flu vanes on them and the 2 broadheads I've listed are great for small game and prevent you from passing through your target but still delivering a lethal hit with minimal penetration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Plus they make a god awful noise when wounded and you're sure to not be real popular with the neighbors when they find you out there putting the finishing shot on a poor, defenseless bunny. 

 

We have so many coyotes that it's really rare to see a rabbit. No idea what the coyotes are eating, I assume mainly the neighbors cats and chickens the way they like to hang around. 

You aren't kidding about the sound a rabbit makes! I was 8 or 9 and got a 410 for Christmas. Later that winter my step-dad took me out rabbit hunting, one of the guys we were with wounded one with a .22 and man did that thing make one heck of a noise! As you know a sound that you'll never mistake if ever heard again.

 

I got a predator call a few years ago because like you we have a very healthy coyote population. My wife was outside at dusk getting her suet cakes before the coons got them after dark. I quietly opened our bedroom window and hit the wounded rabbit call! LOL the depressing look she had on her face when she came in was priceless! The names I was called after she found out it was me were quite hilarious too! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

STAMPEDE!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A .177 break action pellet rifle is a good choice especially if they are fairly close in range, as some have already mentioned.  Obviously check the regs and make sure it is legal to use where you live.  A lot of residential areas are considered city limits and restrict the discharge of a firearm, including a pellet rifle.  A suppressor on the muzzle would help reduce the noise too.  I have one and it sounds like someone opening a can of beer when I shoot it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rabbit catch a tore?  Rabbit fried and simmered in tomato sauce tastes like chicken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...