Jump to content
EGbassing

Best baitcast reel under $70

Recommended Posts

Replacing my Abu Garcia blackmax for Christmas this year. I'm getting a Berkeley Lightning Shock rod and some new reel but I can't decide on the reel. It'll be used for basically everything, so I want something that's good all around. What would you guys choose in that price range?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lews has always been known to have higher quality budget reels than most. Fished with some of my buddy's and was pretty impressed.


I think he had the Laser Speed Spool.

 

I've heard good rumblings about Pfluegers new President series baitcaster.......only they don't make left handed models. A huge bummer as I am a die hard Pflueger fan.

 

I have blood feud with cheap Abu reels. Never again.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daiwa Fuego CT available on Ebay from several reputable sellers for $65.  Unless you stumble upon a great deal on a used or closeout reel you won't find a better baitcaster for a better price IMHO.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BigAngus752 speaks the truth.  They're my go to.  Difficult to backlash, casts as well as any reel with an MSRP of 99 bucks not named Shimano Casitas, but they come in more gearing options.

 

I've accidentally foul hooked two 25 pound or more carp with these reels and the drag did not fail for some tiring battles to get my hooks out their tails.

 

I've caught 20"+ red drum with them, and those fish outpull any largemouth not jacked up on dianabol and testosterone.

 

They're just absurdly jam up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Abu Garcia Pro max is my favorite, I think it's right on $70. I'm not to sure though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Academy Mettle reel is really nice if you have one near you. Some available on EBay 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuego CT is the best right now.  It is a little big but casts great with the Magforce Z.  The Shimano SLX will also be great once the price drops to around  $70.  It won't have the Magforce Z of the Fuego CT but will have an internally adjustable centrifugal brake but will be more compact and have a smoother/nicer retrieve.  

 

The Piscifun Phantom  and Kastking Assassin are also popular alternatives to the Fuego CT and SLX.  They are cheaper and very light weight dual brake reels thanks to a plastic body, aluminum main gear and carbon fiber handles.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuego ct.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies. Has anyone else tried the Kastking Spartacus Plus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I garunteed you will he happiest with the Daiwa Fuego ct. It is arguably the best baitcaster under $100 seeing as it can be had for <$60!! I got mine off eBay  for $47 with a 20% off code.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i own a lot of Daiwa reels, both spin and BC, both under the name of Daiwa and Cabelas Prodigy and whatever else they called them.  They all are very smooth, last for many years, and it's hard for me now to consider other brands.  My "revelation" came after many years of loving Shimano.  Shimano is good, but when pressed for my fav, it's got to be Daiwa.  For everything.  I just don't think they will ever offer a product that is not excellent.  Fuego CT, for this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MickD said:

i own a lot of Daiwa reels, both spin and BC, both under the name of Daiwa and Cabelas Prodigy and whatever else they called them.  They all are very smooth, last for many years, and it's hard for me now to consider other brands.  My "revelation" came after many years of loving Shimano.  Shimano is good, but when pressed for my fav, it's got to be Daiwa.  For everything.  I just don't think they will ever offer a product that is not excellent.  Fuego CT, for this issue.

Agreed,  I love Shimano and I love daiwa. But if I could only use one for the rest of my life I'd say Daiwa without thinking twice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, All about da bass said:

The Abu Garcia Pro max is my favorite, I think it's right on $70. I'm not to sure though.

I love the Pro Max, great reel great price!

7 hours ago, EGbassing said:

Replacing my Abu Garcia blackmax for Christmas this year. I'm getting a Berkeley Lightning Shock rod and some new reel but I can't decide on the reel. It'll be used for basically everything, so I want something that's good all around. What would you guys choose in that price range?

Replace it with another Black Max or a Pro Max

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KastKing has some good deals on baitcasters right now ...i'd check 'em out... if you stick with abu garcia won't go wrong...

 

good fishing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, I'm a diehard Shimano fanboy but I decided to give a Daiwa Fuego CT a try after getting one for $50 on the last Ebay 20% promo.

 

Hands down, best budget reel out there. You won't be disappointed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a kastking Spartacus and hated it. Very clunky and cheap feeling. 

 

However i I have a lews laser from Walmart on my topwater rod and love it. Easily performs more like a reel in the $120-$150 range and I think I paid maybe $60$65 at Walmart a while back. Bombs casts, easy to adjust, and hardly ever backlashes. Works great with braid, flouro, and mono. 

 

I have much more expensive reels and it’s still one of my favorites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

I garunteed you will he happiest with the Daiwa Fuego ct. It is arguably the best baitcaster under $100 seeing as it can be had for <$60!! I got mine off eBay  for $47 with a 20% off code.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with that. Do you know what the cheapest way I can get one besides Ebay is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, EGbassing said:

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with that. Do you know what the cheapest way I can get one besides Ebay is?

Cheapest I've seen is Ebay, but you have to wait for a promo. Otherwise maybe BF sale from TW?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TBAG said:

Cheapest I've seen is Ebay, but you have to wait for a promo. Otherwise maybe BF sale from TW?

I thought about that, but they have one in Amazon for 75.00. Too bad amazon doesn't have 20% off everything for BF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EGbassing said:

Thanks for all the replies. Has anyone else tried the Kastking Spartacus Plus?

I would try the new Kasting Megajaws before I would go with the Spartacus Plus. Brand new reel and looks real nice with some cool features.

 

https://www.amazon.com/KastKing-MegaJaws-Baitcasting-Industry-Color-Coded/dp/B07FN28Y31/ref=sr_1_104?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1541085571&sr=1-104&keywords=kastking

 

Also the Lew's LFS left hand is on sale at Dick's right now for under $70 down from $100 they are also running a $10 off $50 sale as well. Brings this reel close to $60 That's a steal.

 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/lews-speed-spool-lfs-series-baitcasting-reel-15lewuspdspllfs68ree/15lewuspdspllfs68ree

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As many have suggested, the Daiwa Fuego, Lews Laser MG Speed Spool and Pflueger President XT are solid choices.

 

I would also be interested in trying some but I might consider trying the KastKing Assassin or Stealth (depending what you want for a gear ratio but from the sounds of it the Assassin would be the best choice). I often hear that they fish like more expensive reels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NYWayfarer said:

I would try the new Kasting Megajaws before I would go with the Spartacus Plus. Brand new reel and looks real nice with some cool features.

 

https://www.amazon.com/KastKing-MegaJaws-Baitcasting-Industry-Color-Coded/dp/B07FN28Y31/ref=sr_1_104?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1541085571&sr=1-104&keywords=kastking

 

Also the Lew's LFS left hand is on sale at Dick's right now for under $70 down from $100 they are also running a $10 off $50 sale as well. Brings this reel close to $60 That's a steal.

 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/lews-speed-spool-lfs-series-baitcasting-reel-15lewuspdspllfs68ree/15lewuspdspllfs68ree

The new MegaJaws like the RLE do not have dual braking system, but the MegaJaws has 8 magnets, they might do the trick ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GeekFisher said:

The new MegaJaws like the RLE do not have dual braking system, but the MegaJaws has 8 magnets, they might do the trick ?

I like the additional magnets, the rubber cork knobs, drainage and lube ports, the new friction reducing vortex line guide, clickable tension knob and reduced price of the Megajaws over the RLE.

 

Plus that sharktooth grill looks cool.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NYWayfarer said:

I like the additional magnets, the rubber cork knobs, drainage and lube ports, the new friction reducing vortex line guide and reduced price of the Megajaws over the RLE.

 

Plus that sharktooth grill looks cool.

 

 

I personnally prefer a more sober approach with styling. I have a RLE that I like a lot on my frog rod but it needs 5/8 and over frogs to cast properly, but does cast a mile. For everything else the standard 6.3:1 would do fine, I'd pick an Assassin, so light and easy to set :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×