Jump to content
EWREX

dropshot alternative?

Recommended Posts

I know how effective the drop shot is, especially in deeper water. Does anyone use an alternative technique in the same situation? I am thinking about maybe vertically jigging a 3/4 spoon this year to try and mix it up and broaden the endless horizon of fishing techniques.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on time of year and type of cover/structure you have to fish. I fish a lot on table rock where you can catch 100 fish a day on a drop shot in the summer time but really won’t find much quality in those most of the time. Brush piles will hold largemouth the same time of year which are usually better quality fish. Texas rig or Carolina rig will produce in those areas. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, redbirdsfan44 said:

Depends on time of year and type of cover/structure you have to fish. I fish a lot on table rock where you can catch 100 fish a day on a drop shot in the summer time but really won’t find much quality in those most of the time. Brush piles will hold largemouth the same time of year which are usually better quality fish. Texas rig or Carolina rig will produce in those areas. 

Carolina rig is something that I know about, but have never thrown. I know it is definitely an effective way to fish and will definitely be adding it to the list of techniques I'd like to start using

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An "alternative" to drop would be the bubba shot. If you want to

do the same thing only heavier.

 

Otherwise you could tie a jig on as the weight then something higher

up the line.

 

Spoons, etc., would also work as a vertical.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are asking about vertical lure presentations fished the same as a drop shot rig then yes there area few we used very successfully prior to the drop shot rig.

Soft plastics we used the nail weight worm wacky hooked, Doddle worm shaking a finesse size worm rigged Texas with brass n glass ( painted brass bullet weight and tempered 8 mm glass fact eyed bead.

Structure spoons, blade baits like Silver Buddy and Rapala Ice jig and dart or Spider jigs. 

All the above works.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve found hopping a Ned Rig accomplishes a lot the same as a drop-shot.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the Ned on the west coast used to fish just a small lead head with a three inch Dinger/Zinger/or Senko with amazing results....fast forward...still works well in Tennessee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Double fluke

split shot

Small ball jig head

C-rig with a floating crank or jerkbait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also gonna say Carolina rig with a soft jerkbait (fluke). I would also recomend a Ned rig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before going to a drop shot, I try a Hopkins Shorty spoon.  Way more fun if they're active enough to bite them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Before going to a drop shot, I try a Hopkins Shorty spoon.  Way more fun if they're active enough to bite them. 

what weight are you throwing? obviously depends on depth but what is your go-to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only use 3/4 oz. in silver.  2' rips, let it flutter back to the bottom.  As it touches the bottom, rip it again.  When you go to make a rip, and you think you're snagged, it's likely a fish.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I only use 3/4 oz. in silver.  2' rips, let it flutter back to the bottom.  As it touches the bottom, rip it again.  When you go to make a rip, and you think you're snagged, it's likely a fish.

 

awesome thanks man, definitely something i'm going to be using this year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2019 at 11:47 AM, EWREX said:

I know how effective the drop shot is, especially in deeper water. Does anyone use an alternative technique in the same situation? I am thinking about maybe vertically jigging a 3/4 spoon this year to try and mix it up and broaden the endless horizon of fishing techniques.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Neko rig. It was useful for fishing ledges in the Tennessee river chain when fish had become over pressured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fishin' Fool said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Neko rig. It was useful for fishing ledges in the Tennessee river chain when fish had become over pressured.

 

I do fish the neko rig, but much shallower than I would a dropshot. I'm talking 20-30 feet of water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EWREX said:

 

I do fish the neko rig, but much shallower than I would a dropshot. I'm talking 20-30 feet of water

What would be your concern about using a Neko rig that deep? I watched Brett Hite on a Bassmaster episode kick but on the Neko rig that deep. Just use a heavier weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fishin' Fool said:

What would be your concern about using a Neko rig that deep? I watched Brett Hite on a Bassmaster episode kick but on the Neko rig that deep. Just use a heavier weight.

True, I'm just used to throwing a 1/16oz-ish nail weight in. Interesting as I haven't really looked at it as a deeper bait. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, EWREX said:

True, I'm just used to throwing a 1/16oz-ish nail weight in. Interesting as I haven't really looked at it as a deeper bait. Thanks!

Plus you could use a variety of baits. Are you fishing for largemouth or smallies? If largemouth, I'd look at a big worm or even a Yamamoto Kut tail worm. They are nice and stout for a heavier weight. For smallies maybe crawdad type baits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fishin' Fool said:

Plus you could use a variety of baits. Are you fishing for largemouth or smallies? If largemouth, I'd look at a big worm or even a Yamamoto Kut tail worm. They are nice and stout for a heavier weight. For smallies maybe crawdad type baits.

 

I have both largies and smallies around me. I guess the possibilities are endless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's deeper than 20', I'll fish a spoon like a War Eagle or Bink's, if it's shallower I'm fishing a Ned rig. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×