DropShotHotShot

Wire for DIY Tokyo rig?

Seems like it would be easy to assemble these with EWG hood, split ring and swivel,  but am curious if anyone has found a good wire to use?

Paper clip, with a bullet weight. If it falls off, who cares? Here's one I made up but haven't used. I also considered one with this weight. It has some tiny rattles built-in.

IMG_0279.jpg

Lindy.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 8:34 PM, Deeare said:

Just connect a dipsey weight to the split ring and make a jika rig.  No need for the wire at all.   Vmc is catching fisherman at $4 each

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Water_Gremlin_Dipsey_Swivel_Casting_Weights/descpage-WGDS.html

Dropshot weights work as well. Correct me if im wrong but i think the purpose of the tokyo rig had to do with getting your bait of the bottom a couple of inches?

• Like 1

Skip the wire.

jika-X2.jpg

1 hour ago, Bdnoble84 said:

Dropshot weights work as well. Correct me if im wrong but i think the purpose of the tokyo rig had to do with getting your bait of the bottom a couple of inches?

I think it is better then the Jika rig for that application. I'm wanting to get the bait off the bottom and out of the bottom algae growth. 

I am using this wire for my DIY's. I use a haywire twist to attach to the split ring and I'm still experimenting with different weights.  I think it will work well and make it any length you like. 

FM

image.png.37a854fe916985f3ff9a91564cd6bd13.png

• Like 1

I've never fished a Tokyo rig, but seeing some replies in this thread made me think of something.  I make slinky weights for drift fishing steelhead and I feel they might make a nice component for a Tokyo-type rig.  Slinkies are nearly  snagless and made from 1/4" paracord and filled with lead or steel shot.  I use 3/8" steel shot for mine, with each ball weighing about 1/8oz.  You can buy large quantities of steel shot cheap, and a 100ft section of 1/4" paracord is less than $10.  You can make all you want cheap and it won't get hung up in heavy weeds or wood like a regular sinker does.  I think I'm going to try it once the ice is off of the water here.

Here's a good DIY tutorial https://www.fieldandstream.com/craft-steelhead-slinky-in-6-easy-steps#page-2