Jump to content
microotter

Spinnerbait solution for wading?

Recommended Posts

I mostly bank/wade fish. I am looking for a solution to take 3-5 spinnerbaits with me on a trip. I like to pack as lightly as possible. Usually 2 3600 size boxes for tackle—so I don’t really have room for a dedicated spinnerbait box in my backpack. I have a couple big spinnerbait boxes with my tackle storage where I store my collection. I was thinking of just throwing them in a ziplock, but I don’t want to bend the wires. Maybe put an index cared or something between them?

 

Is there a small hard box that will hold a few 3/8–1/2 oz. spinnerbaits? What does everyone else do? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   BPS sells a small book-like affair that has rings holding pouches. It's meant for sorting and carrying soft plastics. It works great for spinnerbaits, though. Sorry; I don't have a part #.    jj

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd take a look at the Plano 3650N as it's the overall size you use and the right side is not divided at all. I purchased a few of them at Walmart a while back.

 

Hq9sBw3-PInsOsKZgOeA42WmL9j7bsrsNL2TrmhcqO4PW4B_XHxCgs96PDCTv9v1gyHiPN-HhHgJHg3NFnP5CYQ8Cn9cgeDi_E9rRTanygzOiAi0exrbtHvH_Ziq2MNy01EMvxrMP0Hn_DmRdLBi0jvuiQbTjzMwC7Ty7mHRHu9jOeU2VhemE09a8STOoNuIFWZD0KA80f4QFrRujKY54dE9a6GX5_TqBlpkoiri4b6cRMZ5AGdWKmRsXhIiF5hkvi0ZBOtKS0R7GIOvoE2qopdXTU9GPQGMmHrLgxaXV43U9mIivZDkYwpcfE3EPzT96IxfOMzQ3dne7ORUyi06MbyoXHqF56tF-QEPBcwv7D1W_6Ituj4u0zAtRKscz6OlYLlDm8XS5TvP-uTHPjuNkErLLtU0xAayhaCcZJAGcaZN6gV7Qdhy1_imTq3Lq1ZXrT68CEyCSgR1SGS8gitCYk6JCmbReFDRfpVl5HcAV5WLLBER0ZBBjeKaMjHhGn5AWqmw58YzhM6-BzLKa-g7C5VvUu9xiPmmzbVRCQU7HO7T3K9W70tH6XmwhgPzMIlEiCHy3CqxHfQgG2gSnLMfF71BCC4Vu8-sizJii8roN7FELn1WVR6bBb6h7JUyo0BVFoLNxtP7fD6ueshTNwh9qQhl3w3dcKM=w1474-h944-no

 

Seems like it would work out for what you want to do. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to the tackle store and look around, you might find something.  Years ago, I found some small spinner bait organizers, good for holding 4 or 5 baits - probably not made anymore - go to Flambeau or Plano web sites & look around.   Maybe a cheap CD case from Walmart with vinyl pouches - seems like I've read that recommended on this site previously.  Some 3600 boxes have one side that is open after you remove all the dividers - maybe get one of those.

 

On a side note - creek fishing 3/8 & 1/2 oz spinner baits might be a little heavy for creek fishing - I don't know how much current you're dealing with.   Maybe a beetle spin type bait might be the ticket.  Good luck.

 

On a different side note, the last time I fished the Gasconade in south central Missouri, I was in a float boat and more often than not every time I came across faster riffles that were at least a foot and a half deep the War Eagle Screaming Eagle was the ticket.  (This bait is a 1/4 oz size bait that actually weighs a half an ounce). Might want to try something like that.   Sorry for going long.

 

After gong long, then re- reading previous posts, the Flambeau small spinner bait box is what you need.  I have a number of those boxes and they work great.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1/2 oz. baits work great in creeks.

 

IMG_8969.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your spinnerbaits will get bent from carrying in a bag in your pocket then you need to buy better spinnerbaits.  Most likely fish will bend them too.  With just a few, a baggie will work fine and be more compact than any hard box regardless of size.

 

Just now, MickD said:

If your spinnerbaits will get bent from carrying in a bag in your pocket then you need to buy better spinnerbaits.  Most likely fish will bend them too.  With just a few, a baggie will work fine and be more compact than any hard box regardless of size.  and I don't really think the cheapies will get bent either.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys these all look like good solutions. I overlooked that Flambeau box somehow—it is exactly what I described haha. 

90% of my spinnerbaits are war eagles and some of them are screaming eagles like @Fishes in trees referenced. I like 1/2 oz in some conditions and smallmouth don’t seem to mind :)  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimmyjoe said:

   BPS sells a small book-like affair that has rings holding pouches. It's meant for sorting and carrying soft plastics. It works great for spinnerbaits, though. Sorry; I don't have a part #.    jj

 

52 minutes ago, Fishes in trees said:

Maybe a cheap CD case from Walmart with vinyl pouches - seems like I've read that recommended on this site previously.

 

A cd case or small worm binder may be an interesting solution for space saving. I imagine that it could double as a finesse jig and terminal tackle binder in addition to spinnerbaits. 🤔

I may be over thinking my tackle management, but my goal this year is to take less stuff with me and be more mobile with my gear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   Found it! Part # is ss-129D. Extra pages are available,. but I've never needed more. My 1/2 oz. spinnerbaits fit in these perfectly.  https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-tackle-binder-or-replacement-pages

    jj

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kenmitch said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Carts-5-cu-ft-Poly-Outdoor-Fish-and-Marine-Cart-GCO-5FSH/302292460

 

Gorilla Carts 5 cu. ft. Poly Outdoor Fish and Marine Cart

 

No compromise solution as long as the terrain is forgiving enough.

That thing is sweet, but won’t work in the terrain that I fish. It would have been perfect for a catfishing spot that I frequented before I moved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, microotter said:

 

A cd case or small worm binder may be an interesting solution for space saving. I imagine that it could double as a finesse jig and terminal tackle binder in addition to spinnerbaits. 🤔

I may be over thinking my tackle management, but my goal this year is to take less stuff with me and be more mobile with my gear. 

i've been using a worm binder (medium) for yrs. when bank fishing ... keeps you light and mobile ... carry 1 sb. 1 frog with the rest many plastics ... weights and hooks and pliers ... thinking about upgrading to browning binder later on ...

 

Bass Pro Shops Extreme Medium Worm Binder or Replacement PagesRelated image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, microotter said:

I mostly bank/wade fish. I am looking for a solution to take 3-5 spinnerbaits with me on a trip. I like to pack as lightly as possible. Usually 2 3600 size boxes for tackle—so I don’t really have room for a dedicated spinnerbait box in my backpack. I have a couple big spinnerbait boxes with my tackle storage where I store my collection. I was thinking of just throwing them in a ziplock, but I don’t want to bend the wires. Maybe put an index cared or something between them?

 

Is there a small hard box that will hold a few 3/8–1/2 oz. spinnerbaits? What does everyone else do? Thanks.

Do you use hip or chest waders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PhishLI said:

Do you use hip or chest waders?

I have a pair of breathable chest waders that I mostly use for colder weather kayak fishing. I don’t have access to my kayak this year unfortunately. Most of my wading this year will be done once the water is warmer in sneakers or water shoes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I use for just a couple spinnerbaits.

spongebob.thumb.jpg.ec826faf1862853a3ac0a7dd635baa69.jpg

Don't laugh, it works. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tizi said:

I have 2 of these, they work great for carrying a few spinnerbaits.

Will they accommodate a few buzzbaits? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small picture album for 50 cents at Walmart will hold a few and fit in your back pocket or a pocket on your bag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gundog said:

What I use for just a couple spinnerbaits.

spongebob.thumb.jpg.ec826faf1862853a3ac0a7dd635baa69.jpg

Don't laugh, it works. 

 

 

Nice! I like having spongebob on my storage more than some guy’s initials haha

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, microotter said:

I have a pair of breathable chest waders that I mostly use for colder weather kayak fishing. I don’t have access to my kayak this year unfortunately. Most of my wading this year will be done once the water is warmer in sneakers or water shoes. 

I fish in breathable waders year round, but in wading boots! I don't have the guts to muck around in sneakers.  Bank fishing is tough locally as the lakes are ringed by trees right up to the shore.

 

I use this sling pack: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-wader-sling-pack. I love it.  The good thing about it is that when you rotate it around to your chest to access it, it's parallel to the ground which makes for easy pickings. It comes with multiple zippered compartments and two small boxes, several D rings, and a pliers/forcep pouch. I rarely use everything it can carry in one session. When I think I need more I put a 3600 size box down the front of the bib of the waders. I barely notice it's there. A box with rounded corners is more comfortable. I like the Spiderwire medium tackle box. Amazon has them.

https://www.amazon.com/Spiderwire-Tackle-Medium-Utility-Clear/dp/B079GP2MG7 Anyway, both the sling, and when needed, the extra box are pretty unobtrusive and carry plenty.

20190307_125625.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PhishLI said:

I fish in breathable waders year round, but in wading boots! I don't have the guts to much around in sneakers.  Bank fishing is tough locally as the lakes are ringing by trees right up to the shore.

 

I use this sling pack: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-wader-sling-pack. I love it.  The good thing about it is that when you rotate it around to your chest to access it, it's parallel to the ground which makes for easy pickings. It comes with multiple zippered compartments and two small boxes, several D rings, and a pliers/forcep pouch. I rarely use everything it can carry in one session. When I think I need more I put a 3600 size box down the front of the bib of the waders. I barely notice it's there. A box with rounded corners is more comfortable. I like the Spiderwire medium tackle box. Amazon has them.

I have the breathable waders with the built in boot. I got a really nice deal on them a couple of years back. So far they seem ok. My next pair might be with separate boots. I might be doing more rock hopping than wading at a few of the new to me spots haha. 

Funny that you bring up the sling. I am actually researching them and small backpacks lately. I am torn between solutions that are made for fishing and non-fishing options. Also between one and two-strapped bags. I like the idea of two straps when I am gone long days where I want to pack a lunch and a rain jacket. The smaller sling bags seem better for shorter trips, wading, and casting while wearing the bag. I may have to get both. 

I even see that some bags have a spot to hold a spare rod which seems nice in open spaces, but like a nightmare ducking trees and other obstacles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, microotter said:

I have the breathable waders with the built in boot. I got a really nice deal on them a couple of years back. So far they seem ok. My next pair might be with separate boots. I might be doing more rock hopping than wading at a few of the new to me spots haha. 

Funny that you bring up the sling. I am actually researching them and small backpacks lately. I am torn between solutions that are made for fishing and non-fishing options. Also between one and two-strapped bags. I like the idea of two straps when I am gone long days where I want to pack a lunch and a rain jacket. The smaller sling bags seem better for shorter trips, wading, and casting while wearing the bag. I may have to get both. 

I even see that some bags have a spot to hold a spare rod which seems nice in open spaces, but like a nightmare ducking trees and other obstacles. 

My buddy who wades with me picked up a sling pack from BPS last week that's little bit larger than the Magellan. It's basically the same design. You can totally fish comfortably with either. We both bring an extra box like I put in the amazon link and park it in the bib. Covers most fishing for 3-6 hours or more. It also houses my phone and spectacles. The Magellan has a draw string for a water bottle, but I slip the rod into it when I'm unhooking a fish when I'm waist deep. It works OK for that. Keeps my reel out of the water. I've tried back packs and larger slings. I can't stand them now that I've downsized. I use the sling even when I'm stuck on the bank.

 

 

Bass99.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a slob!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...