Jump to content
Brew City Bass

Took a puck to the mouth

Recommended Posts

Well Sunday night was my mens league ice hockey play off game. We were up 2-0 going into the third period. Right off the face off I took a puck to the lip. It hit my bottom teeth and poked a hole clean through my lip. I came back to the bench and squirted water out it for the guys and went back to finish my shift. We ended up losing 3-2 in the last 30 seconds. Heart breaker. Still happy to have all my chiclets intact though!

56410046_263905631228525_6727476604533997568_n.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch!  The last time I played hockey I took a high stick to the grill...knocked out my front teeth....that was 20 years ago lol...never again!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did something similar about 8 years ago, and the very next day I went out and bought a cage. Used a cage for years as a kid, and after a couple games it was fine and I didn’t even notice it back on my helmet. And honestly, with the cage on, I find I’m a little less “afraid” to get down and dirty in the corners a bit more. I’ve also taken a few nasty stick slashes directly on the centre of the cage, that would’ve cut me real bad! 

For me it wasn't so much the teeth, as it was the eyes. You only get two of them, and they can’t grow new ones for ya ( yet anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my kinda guy 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🤘😎

hansonbros.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My sympathies on that one.

 

I was a goalie back in the day. Back then in the early 80's goalie masks were mostly custom made and expensive so I wore a helmet with a cage and throat guard instead. It was one of those big, clear plastic throat guard that attached to the sides of the helmet and swung freely underneath.

 

Anyway, it was my first ever practice for my college team and the first shot against me was the hardest slapshot I had ever seen. The guy opened up on it instead of rolling over and the puck kept rising. BAM! It hit my throat guard and shattered it in a million pieces including a few that cut me under the chin. Luckily the puck deflected and didn't go through my neck. Good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always check your chicklets ~

🤪

A-Jay

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Koz said:

My sympathies on that one.

 

I was a goalie back in the day. Back then in the early 80's goalie masks were mostly custom made and expensive so I wore a helmet with a cage and throat guard instead. It was one of those big, clear plastic throat guard that attached to the sides of the helmet and swung freely underneath.

 

Anyway, it was my first ever practice for my college team and the first shot against me was the hardest slapshot I had ever seen. The guy opened up on it instead of rolling over and the puck kept rising. BAM! It hit my throat guard and shattered it in a million pieces including a few that cut me under the chin. Luckily the puck deflected and didn't go through my neck. Good times.

Ugh... This gives me PTSD from being a lacrosse goalie. haha

The nets in lacrosse are extremely tall so one of the common shots is to come under hand and put it top shelf. Which is great, except for when you're the goalie whose 6'3". One out of every 5 shots was almost a guarantee shot at my throat or helmet. Lacrosse helmets are a joke, even less padding than hockey helmets, and basically no throat protection. So I wore those dangler throat guards you were talking about. I'd have one of those shatter on me at least once a month. 

What made me quit being a lacrosse goalie was playing in mens invite league. I just turned 18 and this league is full of old pro / semi pro or college players, but they needed a goalie so I obliged. About 10 minutes in I saw one of the hardest shots I ever seen by miles and it shattered my neck guard and kept on goin and hit my throat. I couldn't breath for what felt like an eternity. I quit lacrosse after that.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could of went all gangster like Bobby Clarke!

 

Image result for Bobby Clarke

 

My days of hockey ended when I was in a non-check league and after my second shoulder separation from getting hit, I called it quits.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good times! Looks like you didn’t make out too bad. 

 

I have a scar at the bridge of my nose from from it getting split open the last 3 years I played. A separated shoulder that’s starting to bother me 18-20 years later, and 2 concussions.

 

We had to wear a mask, and when I played drop in hockey I still wore it. Hockey is one fun sport and will toughen a person up real quick. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never played hockey , or been to a game, but Id rather watch it on tv than soccer or golf . ☺

Got hit in the face a time or two with a baseball, so I can relate. Glad you didnt lose the chiklets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LMAO

i played hockey to the level of professional. The higher the level the more in control of a a shot players become. I played hockey from 5 years old till 60 never lost a tooth or took a stick in the head. Box lacrosse is 1 heck of a game & 1 played it for 15 years. 

Its players that think they know what they are doing ( but really don't) that mostly cause injuries to others as well as themselves.

cheers mates & skate on

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coldbasser said:

LMAO

i played hockey to the level of professional. The higher the level the more in control of a a shot players become. I played hockey from 5 years old till 60 never lost a tooth or took a stick in the head. Box lacrosse is 1 heck of a game & 1 played it for 15 years. 

Its players that think they know what they are doing ( but really don't) that mostly cause injuries to others as well as themselves.

cheers mates & skate on

Rick

Yeah, I usually play with A and B level guys, ex-college players or old guys that played lower levels of pro. They all know stick control and how to place a shot. Never usually have to worry about it. 

But this D league the game happened in, guys are crazy. High sticks everywhere, clappers from the blue line hitting the high glass, just crazy stuff. I'll probably wear a cage if I play in that d league again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Fishing Rhino said:

Two words.  Happy Gilmore.

THAT'S MY PUCK BABY, DON'T YOU EVER TOUCH MY PUCK!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Frog Turds said:

🤘😎

hansonbros.jpg

The greatest hockey movie ever. Can't beat the Hanson Brothers. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gundog said:

The greatest hockey movie ever. Can't beat the Hanson Brothers. 

I was coaching my son's middle school baseball game last week and I mentioned to my assistant coach that a kid on the other team looked like one of the Hanson brothers. He had no idea what I was talking about.

 

So sad.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:06 PM, Gundog said:

The greatest hockey movie ever. Can't beat the Hanson Brothers. 

And the strippers scene at the end is priceless.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:23 PM, Koz said:

I was coaching my son's middle school baseball game last week and I mentioned to my assistant coach that a kid on the other team looked like one of the Hanson brothers. He had no idea what I was talking about.

 

So sad.

Yep.  Just like basketball kids today. Never heard of Pistol Pete Maravich.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankfully you didn't lose part of your grill lol.  Keep that up and you'll be looking like Terry Sawchuk in no time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was reading the other week how a puck went out of play and busted one of Mia Khalifa's implants. Crazy how a puck can go into the crowd that fast even with the glass protecting them, i cant imagine what its like down on the ice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play in a men’s league and helmets are required but facial protections is optional. Not wearing any facial protection is a terrible terrible idea. There’s maybe one player on each team that does it.  I don’t.  I’ve taken sticks so hard to the face with my mask on that I know for a fact if I had not been wearing one, I’d be missing teeth or worse, an eye. Get a clear eye shield if you need to but playing ice hockey without any facial protection is asking for a high stick to the chops.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2019 at 10:25 PM, Frog Turds said:

🤘😎

hansonbros.jpg

One of my favorite movies growing up!!

Thanks for the flashback!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 3:06 PM, Hyrule Bass said:

I was reading the other week how a puck went out of play and busted one of Mia Khalifa's implants. Crazy how a puck can go into the crowd that fast even with the glass protecting them, i cant imagine what its like down on the ice

Yeah, this wasn't even a rocket or I'd missing a few teeth. It was a lob that couldn't have been faster than 25mph, but pucks have edges and are heavy! The rubber isn't forgiving. They can do some damage. More than a baseball going the same mph. 

On 4/10/2019 at 8:16 PM, gimruis said:

I play in a men’s league and helmets are required but facial protections is optional. Not wearing any facial protection is a terrible terrible idea. There’s maybe one player on each team that does it.  I don’t.  I’ve taken sticks so hard to the face with my mask on that I know for a fact if I had not been wearing one, I’d be missing teeth or worse, an eye. Get a clear eye shield if you need to but playing ice hockey without any facial protection is asking for a high stick to the chops.

I do wear a visor. So I protect the most important things. I can replace teeth, can't replace my eyes. 

I've worn cages before and I just can't get use to them. The bars mess with my vision, and it really makes me feel claustrophobic. I'll probably give a cage a try again at a stick and puck and see if I can't get use to it, but I doubt it. 

I doubt I'll be playing in this league again next year too. It's a pretty rough n tough d league. Everyone plays like it's game 7 of the cup, good intentions, but playing that hard at a d level usually means high sticking, tripping, boarding, etc. 

My main skate is a game once a week with a buncha firefighters who are higher level players. Most played highschool / college and some juniors +. These guys there's nothing to worry about. I mean accidents can happen, but never once have I seen a high stick or a high puck from those guys. Every single shot is on the money and they know where it's going every time.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...