Jump to content
Ksam1234

Braid size for spinning gear?

Recommended Posts

Question of the day for me. Going to be using it for ned rig and drop shot , I have seen some say 15 pound braid or 20 pound. I’ll be fishing pretty clear water from 3-8 feet visibility depending where I go .. what is the benefits of each and has anyone seen loss of Strikes due to braid? I have always used fluoro unless it’s topwater or frogging 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be just me but I do not associate braid with Ned rigs or dropshotting.

 

They are finesse techniques and work best with lighter line. I fish both with 6-8# mono or fluorocarbon line.

 

If you insist on using braid I would suggest a leader of the lines I mentioned above.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fish the Ned rig on 8 or 10 pound braid with no leader in very clear water. I can’t see any reason for heavier line. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 10 and occasionally use a 6lb leader, but mostly no leader

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use no more than 15pd braid. i only use straight braid for the ned and such. I stopped the leader use because 15pd is so thin i dont think fish see it,and it just plain works for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10# test Power Pro in Hi Vis yellow with 7# Sunline Sniper FC leader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 10# power pro braid with an 8# fluorocarbon leader for ned rigs and dropshotting. I think straight braid would result in a loss of strikes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 lb Berkley Ultra 8 Fireline Crystal to 6 - 10 lb FC leader. My ability to detects bites was greatly improved when I swapped to a braid mainline and twisted line isn't nearly as bad to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like 10# Sufix 832 with fluoro leader. I don't see the point of going any higher if the leader is 10# or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fish in generally clear water and use black 20# 4 strand braid without leader on all my heavy rods with rear drag Shimano 2500 and Daiwa 2550 reels.  

 

Anything less than 20 and snakeheads will break it. 

 

Actually, I used to use YoZuri hybrid and I'm hooking up and catching more fish now with braid. I won't use mono again. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just set up my new finesse rod & reel with 20lb Power Pro in moss green with an 8lb Maxima Ultra Green leader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10lbs Sufix 832 to a 10lbs Yo-Zuri hybrid leader is the line setup I use for ned rigs and finesse drop shots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used Sufix 832 in 10 lbs., usually in its yellow color, to an 8 lbs. Invizx leader almost exclusively on my spinning gear. for years. Still have it on many reels as it lasts forever. 

 

Then, several years ago, I ordered 2lbs. Sufix Nanobraid for an ultralight set up and fell in love with it. No fish, to this date, has ever broken me off. This test size is so fine at .001" it almost looks like spider silk. I used it yesterday afternoon, targeting primarily crappie and panfish, but caught bass, too.

 

So, it is available up to 14 lbs. test and its diameter there is .18 mm compared to 10 lbs. 832 at .20 mm.

 

Nanobraid casts like a dream and I think you could tow a car with it.

 

Hmm! Running straight braid? I'd drop as low as 6 lbs. and, maybe even 4, and never have a second thought about its ability to land any size LMB. Also, this small stuff, if I were interested in maximizing casting distance. Going to need to pull a big girl out of slop on occasion? The 14 test will cast better than 10 lbs. 832 and be much stronger.

 

For using it with leaders, I'd likely settle in at something between 10 and 14 just owing to needing a bit of diameter to tie a better junction knot.

 

Brad

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have fished braid a lot on spinning and have always used a leader.  For one I don't like the presentation of straight braid so always use a leader.  And it's usually fluro.  When fishing a Ned or similar baits its 8 lb yellow suffix with a six lb leader.  Zero complaints and I get the best of both worlds with seeing my line ...and casting distance....sensitivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brad Reid said:

I used Sufix 832 in 10 lbs., usually in its yellow color, to an 8 lbs. Invizx leader almost exclusively on my spinning gear. for years. Still have it on many reels as it lasts forever. 

 

Then, several years ago, I ordered 2lbs. Sufix Nanobraid for an ultralight set up and fell in love with it. No fish, to this date, has ever broken me off. This test size is so fine at .001" it almost looks like spider silk. I used it yesterday afternoon, targeting primarily crappie and panfish, but caught bass, too.

 

So, it is available up to 14 lbs. test and its diameter there is .18 mm compared to 10 lbs. 832 at .20 mm.

 

Nanobraid casts like a dream and I think you could tow a car with it.

 

Hmm! Running straight braid? I'd drop as low as 6 lbs. and, maybe even 4, and never have a second thought about its ability to land any size LMB. Also, this small stuff, if I were interested in maximizing casting distance. Going to need to pull a big girl out of slop on occasion? The 14 test will cast better than 10 lbs. 832 and be much stronger.

 

For using it with leaders, I'd likely settle in at something between 10 and 14 just owing to needing a bit of diameter to tie a better junction knot.

 

Brad

You got me interested, I’m looking for something to replace Gliss Line that I use mainly for crappies. How is this line compare to gliss line or other nano line? Gliss line is good and very thin, I use 18lb, but frayed so easily, I’m not talking about at the end of line but in the middle as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used 15# braid and an 8# flouro leader for drop shotting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JustJames said:

You got me interested, I’m looking for something to replace Gliss Line that I use mainly for crappies. How is this line compare to gliss line or other nano line? Gliss line is good and very thin, I use 18lb, but frayed so easily, I’m not talking about at the end of line but in the middle as well. 

I've never used Gliss, got scared off years ago when it first came out and there were some horrible reviews. What was odd were the reports that certain Gliss test strengths worked well, sort of as advertised, others not even close. And, there were some early labeling discrepancies. Since then, I have heard many more positives about Gliss than negatives.

 

So, back to Sufix Nanobraid. Sufix says it uses a tighter winding, more of the braided strands crossing per inch or other length metric. I have just really enjoyed it for spinning gear.

 

And, I have been experimenting a bit more with straight braid. Here, I have no doubt that 6 lbs. would hold pretty much anything.

 

I used the 2 lbs. yesterday afternoon and caught a bunch of crappie, one bass and several bluegills.

 

On 2lbs. test, be certain and order some Mepps Plain Aglia (no dressing) with a silver blade. Get it in a #00 size, so very tiny and a hoot to go out and run it over bluegill and crappie locations.

 

Brad

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used 18lb gliss for several years now on my spinning equipment with good results.  I typically tie an FC leader  of about 8 to 12 lb test.   I fish in waters that are heavily infested with zebra muscle and just watch the line for signs of abrasion.       Interesting to me are the reviews and comments about Gliss fraying.  From my understanding, Gliss is a single-stranded extruded line which would put it in a similar class to other monofilament lines, nothing to unravel or fray.    Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 10lb braid on both my Ned rig and my Drop shot rod. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10lb yellow braid to 6lb yo zuri hybrid leader. So far so good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 5:07 PM, Heartland said:

I have used 18lb gliss for several years now on my spinning equipment with good results.  I typically tie an FC leader  of about 8 to 12 lb test.   I fish in waters that are heavily infested with zebra muscle and just watch the line for signs of abrasion.       Interesting to me are the reviews and comments about Gliss fraying.  From my understanding, Gliss is a single-stranded extruded line which would put it in a similar class to other monofilament lines, nothing to unravel or fray.    Just a thought.

Touch it with rough fingers and you'll notice how multi filament it is. It literally comes apart.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Bassman said:

Touch it with rough fingers and you'll notice how multi filament it is. It literally comes apart.

I fish Gliss on several of my spinning setups, as mentioned I fish in waters that have a real problem with zebra muscle.  I tie a 6-7ft FC leader, usually about 8lb test, and can honestly say that I do not experience the problems that are being mentioned.  It's very thin and casts fantastic, it works great for my use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

use fireline 14 lb. smoke and spiderwire stealth moss green 20 lb. 6 and 8 mono. equivalent respectively ... 

 

don't use a leader ... 

 

good fishing ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...