Jump to content
BigAngus752

Help pick my line for skipping weightless plastics

Recommended Posts

I'm putting together a spinning set-up just for skipping weightless plastics (and the occasional Ned rig) under docks.  The majority of the time I will be skipping wacky rig stick baits.  Looking through my stockpile of line I will either be using 10lb Trilene XL or 10LB Spiderwire EZ Braid in moss green (no leader).  My question is, since both lines float will the mono slow the fall rate down more than the braid since the braid is only the diameter of 3lb mono?  I'm barely patient enough to wait for a weightless wacky to fall on a line that doesn't float.  If the 10lb mono is going to slow it down a lot then I'm going with the braid.  Thanks in advance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XL will abraid too easily around dock posts, chains, ladders, etc... braid will too and is too visible...

 

The two lines I use for skipping light plastics are either 6 or 8 lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid, or if I need more strength, 16 lb Sunline FC Flippin’ line with hi-viz alternating with 30 inches of clear line.  Tie the plastic at the end of a 30 inch stretch of clear fluoro for lo-viz.  

 

Both lines sink better than mono or braid... Sunline slightly more than YZH.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 lb XL is about Max dia (.011) mono for most spinning reels and would marginal for unweighted soft plastics or Ned rigs 1/16 oz or less. Braid has poor abrasion around wood, rocks and other dock structures. Of the 2 choices the 10 lb braid would be better casting and bass aren't line shy so direct braid would be OK.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 10lb braid (Suffix 832 mostly) with no leader for my spinning rods. I skip under and around docks a lot. Yes, braid does float but it has little effect on the sink rate. The floating line is a big help as a strike indicator. As far as it being visible, the fish don’t care. I just spent 2 weeks on a fishing trip and skipped baits around docks every day. I caught hundreds of large and smallmouth bass without a single break off from abrasion. As many times as I missed my target and dragged my lures around dock supports, to have not broken any off, shows me the lines are as abrasion resistant as I need.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my spinning rig, which includes a 2500 reel, 8 lb mono is as heavy as I go, I also use 6 lb, both work good.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 10-12 pound trilene for skipping. If you use the 12 it is sufficiently strong. I don’t remember having any fish break it off under a dock or brush pile. Visibility is not a problem. I catch lots of fish with it.I used to use the yo-Zuri and liked it at first, but it seemed like The last 2-3 spools I put on were bad. It kept breaking even in open water. I don’t get that with the trilene. Cast ability is good, and the memory isn’t as bad as other lines Ive used. I use it mostly weightless. I don’t worry about how fast or slow it sinks- the fish like it , and that’s all that matters!!😊

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WRB said:

10 lb XL is about Max dia (.011) mono for most spinning reels and would marginal for unweighted soft plastics or Ned rigs 1/16 oz or less. Braid has poor abrasion around wood, rocks and other dock structures. Of the 2 choices the 10 lb braid would be better casting and bass aren't line shy so direct braid would be OK.

Tom

I realized later that I misspoke when I mentioned I would be using this for Ned rigs.  I have a dedicated Ned rig rod (Falcon ML w/6lb mono) and I'll use that when I want to skip a Ned under a dock.  I agree about the line visibility.  Yesterday I was pitching wacky Senkos into laydowns using 20lb Hi-Vis neon-colored Sufix 832 and I caught fish in the same lake I'll be skipping docks.  I'm going to give the braid a try and if I hate it I'll try something else.  Thanks for the input.

7 hours ago, Scott F said:

I use 10lb braid (Suffix 832 mostly) with no leader for my spinning rods. I skip under and around docks a lot. Yes, braid does float but it has little effect on the sink rate. The floating line is a big help as a strike indicator. As far as it being visible, the fish don’t care. I just spent 2 weeks on a fishing trip and skipped baits around docks every day. I caught hundreds of large and smallmouth bass without a single break off from abrasion. As many times as I missed my target and dragged my lures around dock supports, to have not broken any off, shows me the lines are as abrasion resistant as I need.

I was just using 10lb Sufix 832 yesterday for pitching laydowns.  I have never had an issue with it around wood.  We have very few rocks so I've no experience with it around rock.  I actually have a new spool of 10lb Sufix and I considered using that since the EZ braid floats and the Sufix is "neutrally buoyant" but the new spool is Hi-Vis and the EZ Braid is moss green which matches the water better.  I'm not a big believer in bass being "line shy" but I figured to give myself every possible advantage.  832 is my favorite braid by far though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, N Florida Mike said:

I use 10-12 pound trilene for skipping. If you use the 12 it is sufficiently strong. I don’t remember having any fish break it off under a dock or brush pile. Visibility is not a problem. I catch lots of fish with it.I used to use the yo-Zuri and liked it at first, but it seemed like The last 2-3 spools I put on were bad. It kept breaking even in open water. I don’t get that with the trilene. Cast ability is good, and the memory isn’t as bad as other lines Ive used. I use it mostly weightless. I don’t worry about how fast or slow it sinks- the fish like it , and that’s all that matters!!😊

I think Yo-Zuri Hybrid is the best non-braided line you can put on a baitcaster.  It is the smoothest casting, strongest line I've every tried.  I've found, though, that it's Achilles heel is that if it gets any kind of sharp kink, even if it's not a hard bend, the line is done.  Absolutely done.  Guaranteed to break at that slight bend after one or two casts.  If I had some light Hybrid sitting around I would absolutely give that a try but all I have is 6 and 10lb mono and 10 and 50lb braids.  That's a good thought, though.  If I hate the braid I'll order some light Yo-Zuri to try.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tatsu #6

 

slay GIF

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For senkos I use 14# braid and a 6 ft 20# fluoro leader. I've used mono leader as well in a pinch and really didn't notice a difference in fall rate. It's pretty rare for me to break one off, maybe 1 in 30-50 and then it's probably due to the leader already being shredded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm overpowering it. But I use 20# braid with a 15# Big Game leader. I've had very few breakoffs around wood with braid. When I have, it's because I didn't retie for months. I've started retying before almost every trip. And it does slow the rate of fall.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I have a weird setup for skipping because I can't skip with a spinning rod.

 

7'2" MH Shimano Expride casting rod and a Shimano Curado 71 with full ceramic bearings. I have 2 break pins engaged, the external break set to 6, and usually do not adjust the spool tension from my normal setting. I tend to keep my spool as loose as I can get away with, but am slowly working towards keeping it as tight as I can get away with. Hope that makes sense.

 

40# 4-strand Power Pro with a 12' leader. For the leader I use 16# Yo-Zuri Top Line or 20# Sunline Shooter and an FG knot.

 

5/0 heavy gauge EWG and throw 5" or 6" senkos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...