Joining the 'real' boat crowd

• Super User

Oh the four boxes in the rear of the casting deck will be for tackle boxes and misc storage. There's going to be another pair of boxes (different dimensions) that'll be the plastics storage.

• Like 1

• Super User

Don't have a motor yet - that's going to be 'last minute' purchase.

I'm looking at 15hp-20hp actually...used...more in my budget.

Local guy here - use to own/run Kirby's Bait Shop (one of the ones that closed down some years back)...he's kept up his Johnsonrude certs even though he's 'retired'. Makes extra money buying old, non-working 3-25hp Johnsonrudes, rebuilds them, then sells them.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Gotcha. I know a guy selling a good running 25 hp Johnson 2 stroke but I don’t suppose shipping a motor is easy or reasonably priced 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Super User

Ya - even if he was asking 2/3 what Kirby asks for a rebuilt 25 - the shipping charges would probably even it out.

• Super User

Kirby always lets you stand-test the motor with muffs so you know you're buying a good motor

Last 25hp he had up - he'd replaced the magneto, rebuilt the carb, replaced the impeller and changed out the gear-oil - ran like a champ.......was asking $950

• Like 1

• Super User

35 - according to the original pamphlet...guy I bought it from had that too.

1321157011_00-AlumacraftFlyer-Info-1.thumb.jpg.81ef23dbdbc141a3ff57452dd6b763c3.jpg

• Super User
1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

Do you need a short shaft?

Ya - short shaft...and I'm looking for 15-20hp...25 if the price is right. While the boat is rated to 35...I think I want to keep it under 30.

#1, #3 and #4 in your links are out of my budget

#2 would work - but Pine City is a haul from here...and if it doesn't work...can I go back to him?

Reason I'm looking at Kirby for my motor...he lives here in Mound, guarantees his work...and the prices are in my range.

• Like 1

I figure everything for sale is negotiable.  Saw your progress and wanted to look to see.  Posted everything I saw, not just the good options.  Obviously all of them point to buying locally from someone you trust :)

• Like 1

• Super User
On 3/10/2022 at 6:51 PM, gimruis said:

Holy cow I bet that things hauls ass with a 35.

My cousin had a 14' semi-v with a 40 tiller and yes, it hauled.  I think I got around 48 mph on GPS in it.  That was a long time ago.

• Super User
41 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I think I got around 48 mph on GPS in it.

That is downright scary.  I can do about 35 in my 18 foot mod-V bass boat that has a 75 hp.  Going almost 50 in a 14 foot tiller seems completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

• Super User
1 minute ago, gimruis said:

That is downright scary.  I can do about 35 in my 18 foot mod-V bass boat that has a 75 hp.  Going almost 50 in a 14 foot tiller seems completely unnecessary.

30mph in my old 14' Runabout was just fine for me - no need to go faster IMO.

Some people HAVE to get to the accident first.   

When the TILLER boat does a back flip at 40 or 60.   1 ....20 mph gust will get him a front row seat.   

I have come close with all the fuel tanks empty in the bow & a strong gust at only 30 mph.  16' 50" wide & 30 hp USCG limit motor.........If I flipped a boat & over powered ?   Insurance would not have to pay a penny.

As a kid I learned the hard way.  Had a 10' boat and my Uncle left a 15hp at our cabin.  Did a hair under 40, could pull me on skis and was a hoot.  My neighbor was pulling me on a kneeboard one day and turned short so there was slack in the line.  I pulled on the rope and rolled the boat over enough to swamp it.  It threw him out and was pegged.  He had the brains to pull the gas line and hung on to the side of the boat until it ran out of gas.  Of course it completely capsized so as a 13 year old I needed to learn how to strip down a motor.  Both the safety and motor lesson left their permanent mark.

...and now I have a 55mph tiller, lol

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
Just now, Deephaven said:

As a kid I learned the hard way.  Had a 10' boat and my Uncle left a 15hp at our cabin.  Did a hair under 40, could pull me on skis and was a hoot.  My neighbor was pulling me on a kneeboard one day and turned short so there was slack in the line.  I pulled on the rope and rolled the boat over enough to swamp it.  It threw him out and was pegged.  He had the brains to pull the gas line and hung on to the side of the boat until it ran out of gas.  Of course it completely capsized so as a 13 year old I needed to learn how to strip down a motor.  Both the safety and motor lesson left their permanent mark.

I just saw John candy skiing in “the great outdoors” in my mind 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At one point, my 10'er was the fastest boat on Detroit Lakes.  Was funny to pass people who thought they had hot rods as a 10 year old in a wee little row boat.  My sons will not be having an overpowered thing like that....but they do get to have some fun.

48yFHxO.jpg

• Like 3

• Super User
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

My 18' Xpress would turn a double nickel easy.  Fastest I got in the Bullet was 84.7.  Totally necessary. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super User

Gotta complete 'sealing' the dry boxes before finishing the framing for the casting deck

2 are done - gotta run out and get more of the 1/16" FRP to finish the other two.

20220324_090146.thumb.jpg.e517cfe675e93761a1b10b49e73ea418.jpg

• Like 5

• Super User

Wife is suffering a migraine, so did fairly quiet things today...otherwise I would have been doing 'bang-bang' as I set some more drive-rivets...and the back end of the garage is directly under the bedroom.

Rear light post-socket is installed - made a template, marked where I wanted to drill the 1-1/4" hole, drilled that, then with the socket clamped in place marked the holes for the mounting screws with a transfer punch, drilled and tapped for #6-32, and installed with some Blue Loctite - only had 2 screws sitting around, need a third.

20220327_161454-2.thumb.jpg.18956c976ec9efafba23406311c4275d.jpg

Made a template and cut out some 1/4" FRP to make the stern wall of the rod-locker. Epoxy is setting now which is why the clamps. Will fill the gap by the hull with some latex caulk.

20220327_161510-2.thumb.jpg.c50f962c357857a2f704cf6b3b55e624.jpg

The cross supports for both the battery tray and the TM deck are in...my miter-saw is at the other end of the basement so not an extreme amount of noise gets to the bedroom. The cardboard is the completed template for the TM deck...the template for the battery tray is also done.

20220327_161551-2.thumb.jpg.a72e99ee534f6b9bc4b78bbd7c743021.jpg

And lastly, the dry boxes are done. The FRP is epoxied to the frame and a bead of latex caulk seals all the interior join-points.

20220327_161721-2.thumb.jpg.5ff9e7ddaf688c28d8905c36d11a6e6c.jpg

Still have to finish securing the main side-support runs to the hull (reason for 'bang-bang'), put in a few more lengths of 1x1 angle...then run the wiring where it needs to go before making templates and cutting/fitting the deck sections.

• Like 5