Jump to content

Tennessee River giants


Recommended Posts

I am wanting to get down to the TN River to chase some of the giants in the current. Does anyone have any suggestions for guides, lakes or anything else? I'm honestly asking for suggestions, input and guidance, so feel free to PM me if need be to prevent your honey holes or super secret juice from being publicized. I do live in Kansas City, so it would be a one time trip.

 

Do you all think the possibility of a world record exists below some of the TVA dams? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much pressure as the TVA lakes get, I personally think it’s highly unlikely to see a new world record come out of there. I think your going to need to look at some off the wall small fisheries in tx, la, ms, al, or fl. These lakes are seeing enormous fishing pressure so I don’t think it’s possible imho.

 

though you could look into Mexico or Africa to chase some largemouth where they aren’t fished like crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, SWVABass said:

As much pressure as the TVA lakes get, I personally think it’s highly unlikely to see a new world record come out of there. I think your going to need to look at some off the wall small fisheries in tx, la, ms, al, or fl. These lakes are seeing enormous fishing pressure so I don’t think it’s possible imho.

 

though you could look into Mexico or Africa to chase some largemouth where they aren’t fished like crazy.

I was referring to a Smallmouth record, 11-15. I do need to holler at @road warrior

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
14 hours ago, Drew03cmc said:

Do you all think the possibility of a world record exists below some of the TVA dams? 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excess food and few anglers equal a world record. Add in C and R fishing.  A very large isolated farm pond would work.

 

I was surprised at the size N J  F & G  released as too  old breeders. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s hard to believe that disappointment was almost 14 years ago… that area isn’t a sleeper for big smallmouth but it’s probably underrated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Fishing in general has taken on a new meaning in " pressured " in recent years.

 

Just over the weekend here in VA, I talked with DNR and they claim that many citation fish are kept and that shocking results have shown a significant decrease in fish population in the majority of our lakes due to the almost sudden increase ( China flu ) in fishing pressure.

 

I strongly believe that world record Bass will remain in the books for a while.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
13 hours ago, Drew03cmc said:

Was it record sized? 

 A couple of months earlier my fishing partner, Speedy Madewell, caught the only

10 lb smallmouth I have ever seen. I netted and weighed the bass with the help

of another friend, Buddy Cotton, 

 

When we got my bass to the boat, we all got to see the fish. It dove under the boat,

then staged near the bottom before breaking my line. Speedy stated "That baby

was bigger than mine, a lot bigger." So maybe another giant or maybe a new record, 

we'll never know.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

 A couple of months earlier my fishing partner, Speedy Madewell, caught the only

10 lb smallmouth I have ever seen. I netted and weighed the bass with the help

of another friend, Buddy Cotton, 

 

When we got my bass to the boat, we all got to see the fish. It dove under the boat,

then staged near the bottom before breaking my line. Speedy stated "That baby

was bigger than mine, a lot bigger." So maybe another giant or maybe a new record, 

we'll never know.

Killer. I've just become completely blown away by the trophy brown fish down there. I want to get down there so bad. Any suggestions on time of year and a guide to use? I'm in the planning stages now, so definitely open to ideas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

I have a trip booked for 10/24 & 10/25 with Roger Stegall.

http://www.fishpickwick.com/

 

If you want to join us let me know.

 

-Kent

Appreciate the offer, my son and I will likely try to get down there sometime this year. I'm unsure when, but I will definitely put up pictures when we can make it. 

5 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

If you want a monster go sometime between thanksgiving and Valentine’s Day when the weather is awful 

Ah, makes sense to me. I don't object to crap weather. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

I have a trip booked for 10/24 & 10/25 with Roger Stegall.

Don't know if my little boat will cut the mustard in this situation but would be interested in joining ya'll . If there's room for another  , let me know . At my age , 5 months is maybe a long shot but I'd like a chance at it .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator

This is a guide trip, $385 per day for two days, that's $385 (total) a piece for both days.

You don't need a boat or your own gear for that matter. We can share a room or you

can drive back and forth from your house if it's close. Generally, a "professional day"

is 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, Drew03cmc said:

I am wanting to get down to the TN River to chase some of the giants in the current. Does anyone have any suggestions for guides, lakes or anything else? I'm honestly asking for suggestions, input and guidance, so feel free to PM me if need be to prevent your honey holes or super secret juice from being publicized. I do live in Kansas City, so it would be a one time trip.

 

Do you all think the possibility of a world record exists below some of the TVA dams? 

I fish below Nickajack dam and several miles downstream into Alabama often and I can tell you that this time of year there is very little current below the TVA dams (at least Nickajack). Usually one or maybe two generators are going and the current is so slow it is almost unrecognizable. This causes the fish to scatter and not hold to breaks and eddy's. I really have to work for them this time of year and the average size is much smaller than in the cooler months when currents are faster. Caught twenty four yesterday with big fish 14".

If I may suggest, get generation info before you go. These fisheries are amazing but not when the water is low and slow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blue Raider Bob said:

I fish below Nickajack dam and several miles downstream into Alabama often and I can tell you that this time of year there is very little current below the TVA dams (at least Nickajack). Usually one or maybe two generators are going and the current is so slow it is almost unrecognizable. This causes the fish to scatter and not hold to breaks and eddy's. I really have to work for them this time of year and the average size is much smaller than in the cooler months when currents are faster. Caught twenty four yesterday with big fish 14".

If I may suggest, get generation info before you go. These fisheries are amazing but not when the water is low and slow.

Thank you. As it's a 9 hour drive to Pickwick for me, ideal generation is nice, but when I can go, is when I will go, so I'd definitely want a guide.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Drew03cmc said:

Thank you. As it's a 9 hour drive to Pickwick for me, ideal generation is nice, but when I can go, is when I will go, so I'd definitely want a guide.

Good luck and I hope my personal views on fishing the River this time of year doesn't discourage you. The area below Pickwick dam is full of fish anytime of year. In my experience below Nickajack and Old Hickory, they are a little more aggressive when there are at least a couple of generators going. If you toss up on the rocks and drag off slowly as you drift you will surely hang a few!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Blue Raider Bob said:

Good luck and I hope my personal views on fishing the River this time of year doesn't discourage you. The area below Pickwick dam is full of fish anytime of year. In my experience below Nickajack and Old Hickory, they are a little more aggressive when there are at least a couple of generators going. If you toss up on the rocks and drag off slowly as you drift you will surely hang a few!

I would likely plan a trip during peak time. I just want to get into at least a 5lb smallie and the TVA system seems like the best bet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
28 minutes ago, Drew03cmc said:

I would likely plan a trip during peak time. I just want to get into at least a 5lb smallie and the TVA system seems like the best bet.

I’d go to Lake Erie with @Dwight Hottle!!!

 

5 lb smallies can be had any day on TN river but it’s about as random as anything. Ours are very skinny compared to the northern variety 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, TnRiver46 said:

I’d go to Lake Erie with @Dwight Hottle!!!

 

5 lb smallies can be had any day on TN river but it’s about as random as anything. Ours are very skinny compared to the northern variety 

Lake fish do nothing for me. I chase smallies wading or floating on bony Ozark rivers, so skinny fish for 8 months a year are normal. Also, I want to see what the TVA is all about and chase a giant smallie. Might holler at Ryan Salzman about getting in the boat with him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
10 minutes ago, Drew03cmc said:

Lake fish do nothing for me. I chase smallies wading or floating on bony Ozark rivers, so skinny fish for 8 months a year are normal. Also, I want to see what the TVA is all about and chase a giant smallie. Might holler at Ryan Salzman about getting in the boat with him. 

Gotcha. The lower end of TVA system is more like huge lakes that move as opposed to a river. Tailwaters sound like what you’re looking for, the lower end of pickwick and Kentucky lake might as well be the ocean 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

Gotcha. The lower end of TVA system is more like huge lakes that move as opposed to a river. Tailwaters sound like what you’re looking for, the lower end of pickwick and Kentucky lake might as well be the ocean 

Yeah, the upper ends of Pickwick, Wilson, Wheeler and Guntersville wouldn't be bad from what I've been researching. I'd love to get on a rig or single 4 to 5" paddle tail bite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
2 minutes ago, Drew03cmc said:

Yeah, the upper ends of Pickwick, Wilson, Wheeler and Guntersville wouldn't be bad from what I've been researching. I'd love to get on a rig or single 4 to 5" paddle tail bite.

People seem to quit throwing the rig after the spring time, not sure but I’m guessing they have a reason. I’ve got a buddy down the street  who grew up just above Wilson dam, hes got some cool stories. I tried fishing right below the dam once (upper pickwick), the wind kicked our tails but we got some white bass and panfish for dinner anyway. 
 

March 2017: Found some pics, my 18.5 ft boat was a little dicey, and that old trolling motor about flew every time we tried driving downstream because of the waves. We only had 25,000 cfs , I’m told 50,000 to 90,000 and up is when it’s better. We had to hide in a creek for a full day and didn’t get to try much, but my buddy did get a decent smallie on a tube the first time we tried the dam, should have probably stuck it out but those waves were intimidating. The river is absolutely HUGE by the time it gets into Alabama, it is a lot skinnier where I live and the wind doesn’t blow much. 

091-C7-D56-AFE2-489-F-8-FA7-625-A6510888

69-C53-FF9-5924-46-C3-A96-E-A33-FF0-DF0-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.