Jump to content

2023 Old Town Autopilot kayak upgrades


Go to solution Solved by Motoboss,

Recommended Posts

  • Super User

Drove from MN to FLA Dec 29-31st. First week of Jan ended up with a clogged widowmaker and a stent. I feel great, but it delayed my kayak project. 
 

First phase was to get the kayak out of a marina that got hit by Hurricane Ian. Those Autopilot hulls are a beast - no damage. However, had to replace a compartment hatch, battery box, drain plug, rod holders and lost 4 rods. All cleaned up, replaced the parts - ready to go… then the ambulance ride. 

Phase 2 was a better tackle management system.  I added a 16x16 inch BlackPak Pro with 6 rod holders. Inside holds 8 tackle trays and a big Plano Edge plastics box. What an upgrade, I had stuff sliding all over the tankwell last year. 

 

Phase 3 was putting on a Garmin 93sv and Livescope Plus, attached with a Fishing Specialties bowducer.  It works really well, we stay on a 500 acre inland freshwater lake - and this time of year bass are moving - from the deeps into the shallows to get ready to spawn.  Hard to believe that early, but they are and LS picks up on the movement patterns.
 

Missed the first tournament due to the hospital stay, but second one is on Feb 4 and I’ll be ready this time. 

93B8A0C9-5633-489D-B71A-B46D65060DB9.jpeg

C3D3B51C-DAC9-4819-BA35-6E01C37F4B1A.jpeg

7323498B-9AC0-4EE1-94CE-4C1CE1A52D5C.jpeg

2473BF47-2902-48DE-9DF4-7653A1BAFD0C.jpeg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FryDog62 said:

Drove from MN to FLA Dec 29-31st. First week of Jan ended up with a clogged widowmaker and a stent. I feel great, but it delayed my kayak project. 
 

First phase was to get the kayak out of a marina that got hit by Hurricane Ian. Those Autopilot hulls are a beast - no damage. However, had to replace a compartment hatch, battery box, drain plug, rod holders and lost 4 rods. All cleaned up, replaced the parts - ready to go… then the ambulance ride. 

Phase 2 was a better tackle management system.  I added a 16x16 inch BlackPak Pro with 6 rod holders. Inside holds 8 tackle trays and a big Plano Edge plastics box. What an upgrade, I had stuff sliding all over the tankwell last year. 

 

Phase 3 was putting on a Garmin 93sv and Livescope Plus, attached with a Fishing Specialties bowducer.  It works really well, we stay on a 500 acre inland freshwater lake - and this time of year bass are moving - from the deeps into the shallows to get ready to spawn.  Hard to believe that early, but they are and LS picks up on the movement patterns.
 

Missed the first tournament due to the hospital stay, but second one is on Feb 4 and I’ll be ready this time. 

93B8A0C9-5633-489D-B71A-B46D65060DB9.jpeg

C3D3B51C-DAC9-4819-BA35-6E01C37F4B1A.jpeg

7323498B-9AC0-4EE1-94CE-4C1CE1A52D5C.jpeg

2473BF47-2902-48DE-9DF4-7653A1BAFD0C.jpeg

 Just saw your post on FB. Sounds kinda like my heart deal; shovel snow, don’t feel well, see doctor next day, sent to the hospital for stents, stents won’t work so following day quadruple bypass!

Yeah, fun. It comes as a surprise doesn’t it?!!

 

Thankfully you’re doing well and got the yak sorted. Really like the new additions.
Have fun, be safe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
7 hours ago, Motoboss said:

 Just saw your post on FB. Sounds kinda like my heart deal; shovel snow, don’t feel well, see doctor next day, sent to the hospital for stents, stents won’t work so following day quadruple bypass!

Yeah, fun. It comes as a surprise doesn’t it?!!

 

Thankfully you’re doing well and got the yak sorted. Really like the new additions.
Have fun, be safe

Yes, when they give you the nuclear stress test - sit you down afterwards and say you got an issue, and we’re 50-50 whether we can stent this or have to crack the sternum and do bypass - it gets your attention in a hurry.  
 

You went thru it and got the system overhaul and are hopefully good with another 50 year warranty! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
5 hours ago, FryDog62 said:

Yes, when they give you the nuclear stress test - sit you down afterwards and say you got an issue, and we’re 50-50 whether we can stent this or have to crack the sternum and do bypass - it gets your attention in a hurry.  
 

You went thru it and got the system overhaul and are hopefully good with another 50 year warranty! 

you just living on salad and water now?  dang.  that is scary stuff.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
2 hours ago, Darth-Baiter said:

you just living on salad and water now?  dang.  that is scary stuff.  

Lol, yes eating rabbit food while running a marathon each day… 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Super User
On 1/22/2023 at 6:37 PM, FryDog62 said:

Drove from MN to FLA Dec 29-31st. First week of Jan ended up with a clogged widowmaker and a stent. I feel great, but it delayed my kayak project. 
 

First phase was to get the kayak out of a marina that got hit by Hurricane Ian. Those Autopilot hulls are a beast - no damage. However, had to replace a compartment hatch, battery box, drain plug, rod holders and lost 4 rods. All cleaned up, replaced the parts - ready to go… then the ambulance ride. 

Phase 2 was a better tackle management system.  I added a 16x16 inch BlackPak Pro with 6 rod holders. Inside holds 8 tackle trays and a big Plano Edge plastics box. What an upgrade, I had stuff sliding all over the tankwell last year. 

 

Phase 3 was putting on a Garmin 93sv and Livescope Plus, attached with a Fishing Specialties bowducer.  It works really well, we stay on a 500 acre inland freshwater lake - and this time of year bass are moving - from the deeps into the shallows to get ready to spawn.  Hard to believe that early, but they are and LS picks up on the movement patterns.
 

Missed the first tournament due to the hospital stay, but second one is on Feb 4 and I’ll be ready this time. 

93B8A0C9-5633-489D-B71A-B46D65060DB9.jpeg

C3D3B51C-DAC9-4819-BA35-6E01C37F4B1A.jpeg

7323498B-9AC0-4EE1-94CE-4C1CE1A52D5C.jpeg

2473BF47-2902-48DE-9DF4-7653A1BAFD0C.jpeg


which bowducer mount did you use?  I’m prepping my list for mount options to order the upgrade this week. I think this is going to be my best choice. 
 

also, is the cone adjustable on the down rod?  
 

thanks

rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
16 hours ago, casts_by_fly said:


which bowducer mount did you use?  I’m prepping my list for mount options to order the upgrade this week. I think this is going to be my best choice. 
 

also, is the cone adjustable on the down rod?  
 

thanks

rick

Rick, I used the bowducer from Fishing Slecialties. Less expensive than some of the others but very functional.  I can adjust the direction of the Livescope transducer - Forward, Down, and Perspective modes. 

On 1/22/2023 at 6:37 PM, FryDog62 said:

Missed the first tournament due to the hospital stay, but second one is on Feb 4 and I’ll be ready this time. 

Update, well I had the heaviest 5 score-able fish  the final tournament of the year… 24 anglers and I was the only one in a yak. Not a lot of big fish in this lake but a few 20 inchers… 

FC0F6EEA-4D2A-4FE5-9F97-8E8350DB47AE.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
16 minutes ago, FryDog62 said:

Rick, I used the bowducer from Fishing Slecialties. Less expensive than some of the others but very functional.  I can adjust the direction of the Livescope transducer - Forward, Down, and Perspective modes. 

Update, well I won the final tournament of the year… 24 anglers and I was the only one in a yak. Not a lot of big fish in this lake but a few 20 inchers… 

FC0F6EEA-4D2A-4FE5-9F97-8E8350DB47AE.jpeg

Bowducer set up - along with custom center mount for 2 graphs.

0B8B07FF-8763-48A5-85BE-502D97778D44.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

dang.  i read it.  the only upgrade i see is the STENT!!  i am glad you had that addressed.

 

the rest are just accessories :D    you had me at "you feel fine".  phew.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
4 hours ago, FryDog62 said:

Rick, I used the bowducer from Fishing Slecialties. Less expensive than some of the others but very functional.  I can adjust the direction of the Livescope transducer - Forward, Down, and Perspective modes. 

Update, well I had the heaviest 5 score-able fish  the final tournament of the year… 24 anglers and I was the only one in a yak. Not a lot of big fish in this lake but a few 20 inchers… 

FC0F6EEA-4D2A-4FE5-9F97-8E8350DB47AE.jpeg

 

Nice!  That's a pretty solid day of fishing.  Do you go by weight or length for that tournament?  Most kayak stuff is length since weighing in a kayak is tricky.

 

Is that the kayak model of bowducer or one of the others?  It looks like you've track mounted it so I am assuming yes.  Since I stand, I need another 18-24" of height at the handle so I am looking at the other ones more designed for boats.  I don't know my exact height though or how far below the motor I need to get so I was wondering if the collar that sits in the mounting plate is adjustable up and down the shaft.  If it is, then I can get a  little bit longer shaft and tweak it in use.

 

thanks

rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
24 minutes ago, casts_by_fly said:

 

Nice!  That's a pretty solid day of fishing.  Do you go by weight or length for that tournament?  Most kayak stuff is length since weighing in a kayak is tricky.

 

Is that the kayak model of bowducer or one of the others?  It looks like you've track mounted it so I am assuming yes.  Since I stand, I need another 18-24" of height at the handle so I am looking at the other ones more designed for boats.  I don't know my exact height though or how far below the motor I need to get so I was wondering if the collar that sits in the mounting plate is adjustable up and down the shaft.  If it is, then I can get a  little bit longer shaft and tweak it in use.

 

thanks

rick

Yes, most kayak tournaments are by length - but since everyone else was in gas powered boats, it was by weight. It's a pretty informal/friendly fishing club and we all bought the same $10 scale off of Amazon to use.  No one snuck any sinkers in I don't believe lol.   

 

The length of the bowducer is variable and there are different and/or attaching pieces to get the desired length.  Best to call them at 719-284-2220 and tell them your specifics. Pretty helpful people. (I think I talked to a "Rick" there as well). Also, there is an aluminum plate that attaches to the track mount and then a nylon plate that affixes to that. It does hang over the gunnel a bit and the thought is if you run into something the nylon screws and/or nylon plate tear away so you don't damage your gear track/kayak. 

 

I am looking at taking the bowducer back to Minnesota for the summer and put it on my bass boat there... so I also plan to call them about the connecting/extending pieces.  

 

Good luck! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, Motoboss said:

You get your connectivity issue figured out?

Not quite yet, haven’t been back on the water yet, but am thinking that adjusting the magnet connectors downward to the plate should work… hope so! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
On 1/23/2023 at 12:45 PM, FryDog62 said:

Lol, yes eating rabbit food while running a marathon each day… 

maybe change your user name from FRYdog to Steameddog, or maybe ovenbakedDog.  hahaha..

 

no more fried food for you my friend. :D

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
21 minutes ago, Darth-Baiter said:

maybe change your user name from FRYdog to Steameddog, or maybe ovenbakedDog.  hahaha..

 

no more fried food for you my friend. :D

Yes, I was thinking maybe "Air Fryer" 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
7 minutes ago, casts_by_fly said:

I haven't found a 12V air fryer, but definitely a slow cooker or stove!  

All you need is a power converter and of course extra fuses. My wife blew the fuse in her car trying to run a waffle maker at a tailgate party hahaha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.