Sign in to follow this  
jb_adams

New spinning reel needed

I've read the online reviews of the reels selected above on BassPro.com and I am leaning towards the Shimano name and the features they brag about. I have a Pflueger micro spin and I love it! It's a great little reel. I have an Abu Garcia Cardinal and it's pretty decent. The drag is a bit over-sensitive on the Abu but it's still good quality. A bit heavy too.

So, I have experience with Pflueger and Abu but none with Shimano. I don't want to buy a Shimano just because of the brand name. That's like buying a GLoomis while knowing nothing about them & just because they are expensive. I want to buy a quality reel for a lowered budget.

I want to use this reel on a 6-7ft rod for lighter tackle on 10lb Yozuri hybrid. Flukes, jigs, plastics of all sorts, small spinnerbaits, topwaters, etc. A good all around light tackle use. I'd prefer a lighter weight reel if possible.

Thanks guys! You opinions always help justify my baitmonkey.....I mean peace of mind! ;D

For a budget the Sahara is hard to beat vs what it offers for the price, I have it, also have the Symetre, the Stradic and the Solstace and the budgety Sahara is one heck of a reel. I don 't owe allegiance to any brand, I recommend what I 've owned or own, now if you can part with the extra 20 dollars get the Symetre but you won 't loose a lot by getting the Sahara.

I have tried a bunch of different spinning reels.  I have gotten rid of all but Shimano.  Even their $50 reels beat lots of other brands.  I since I started using Shimano I won't even look at anything else. I have 13 of their spinning reels.  If your budget allows, I recommend the Stradic or Symmetry but like Raul said the Sahara is pretty good for the money.

I own both the Pflueger President and the Symmetre. I like them both. The 6730 seems maybe a hair on the light side compared to the 2500 Symmetre. You might think about the 6735.

I should add that my President does feel a little smoother than the Symmetre. My Symmetre handle didn't seem to go on as smooth from days 1 and it has some minor slop to it. No such issue on the Pflueger.Still a little too early to tell though.

Bps recently had a Stradic / BPS Extreme sale ( I think it is still on ). Even without the sale the combo is a pretty good buy.

Let us know what you decide

Why not purchase a Shimano Stradic 2500 at Dick's (unadvertised) for $80.00!! ;) The price shows 119.00 but it rings up $99.00 - $20.00 sale for a total of $79.00.

Thanks a lot guys!  I appreciate the advice.  I ordered the Pflueger President in a 10lb model.  Even though it's not winning in the poll right now, I am very satisfied with my current Pflueger ultralight reel so I went with what I know.  I did read through many reviews at Cabela's and the President had about 49 reviews and a 4.7 out of 5 rating.  The Symetre only had like 29 reviews and a 4.6 out of 5 rating.  There were only less than 3 or 4 people not that impressed with the President and there were more than that with the Symetre.  It was a selling factor for me.  Plus, that Pflueger reel is drop dead gorgeous!  It's a nice reel and having 9 bearings vs. 4 did also sell me.

So for a $9.95 total, it will be arriving next week!  That's right!  Only $9.95 because I got free shipping, and I had a $50 gift certificate at Amazon.com.  Plus I get a free Pflueger gear bag if I pay for shipping.  Not a bad deal.  I can't wait to put this new reel on my new St. Croix rod and go try it out!

Thanks again guys!  I always respect the opinions here from much more experienced anglers. ;)

Why do a poll then?

The Symetre was favored by 64% of the respondants, more than 3:1 over the President.

Oh well...Good luck with your new reel, lots of guys really like them.

I have had a chance to fish a President and it is a very good reel but my personal preference is Shimano.  It just feels like a better made reel.  To give another comparison, I have two Quantum Energy Pti-A 20s and they have a fantastic feel, very smooth and they cast better than most.  I liked the Energy so well I chose it over the Stradic. But looking back, I don't think they will hold up as well as the Shimanos and this is the same impression I get with the President reel.  Again this just an opinion and the impression I got from fishing this reel for a weekend on loan from friend.  Only time will tell if my impression was right.

I can only comment as tot he Sahara over the Cardinal. Those are my two current reels. And my Sahara is mounted to a Loomis. :;)

Why do a poll then?

The Symetre was favored by 64% of the respondants, more than 3:1 over the President.

Oh well...Good luck with your new reel, lots of guys really like them.

Yeah when I ordered last night, the President was only behind like 3 votes.  One of which was my original vote.  Now it's way behind.  Another thing that convenced me to go with the President is I talked to a friend that has one.  He absolutely loves it.  He said it's his best reel.

My buddy has a Shimano baitcaster and it just feels rough and not very smooth in the gears.  He thinks it's smooth but I actually felt it was a bit rough.  If I go with a Shimano in the future, I think I'll at least get the Stradic.

My main objective was to stay as close to the $50 gift certificate price range.  The wife & budget are still upset with my fishing habits.  So I got a new reel for $10.00 so it's all good.  Next time I do a poll, I'll wait a bit longer on the trigger finger before purchasing.  I got excited and the baitmonkey was too! ;)

i love pflueger reels.i would have upgraded to a medalist with all aluminum frame.imho it is the best spinning reel for the $ bar none.

I've read the online reviews of the reels selected above on BassPro.com and I am leaning towards the Shimano name and the features they brag about. I have a Pflueger micro spin and I love it! It's a great little reel. I have an Abu Garcia Cardinal and it's pretty decent. The drag is a bit over-sensitive on the Abu but it's still good quality. A bit heavy too.

So, I have experience with Pflueger and Abu but none with Shimano. I don't want to buy a Shimano just because of the brand name. That's like buying a GLoomis while knowing nothing about them & just because they are expensive. I want to buy a quality reel for a lowered budget.

I want to use this reel on a 6-7ft rod for lighter tackle on 10lb Yozuri hybrid. Flukes, jigs, plastics of all sorts, small spinnerbaits, topwaters, etc. A good all around light tackle use. I'd prefer a lighter weight reel if possible.

Thanks guys! You opinions always help justify my baitmonkey.....I mean peace of mind! ;D

I own 3 of the 4, the Cardinal, president and Symetry.    The cardinal isn't in the same leage (my opinion).  The president is a fine reel but not as nice in feel as the symetry (again, my opinion).   The symetry is a little more expensive than the President, so I think either is a great deal.   I'm actually dissapointed in the Cardinal (in comparison).  

jb_adams,

My buddy has a Shimano baitcaster and it just feels rough and not very smooth in the gears.  He thinks it's smooth but I actually felt it was a bit rough.  If I go with a Shimano in the future, I think I'll at least get the Stradic.
No comparison between spinning reels and baitcasters.

Tight Lines!!!

Thanks for the info.  I agree that the Cardinal is a lower end reel compared to the others.  It was just in my price range and I have one so that's why it made it in the list.  As far as the difference between Pflueger and Shimano, I bought what I already have experience with.  The only Shimano I've had experience with is my buddy's baitcaster.  I'm not impressed with it.  I am impressed with my Pflueger microspin so I went with it.

I'm sure it will all work out fine.  I would have stuck it out a bit longer and probably gone with the Shimano but there was a hole burning in my pocket and I couldn't take it anymore.  I really wanted the Pflueger after I read some reviews on it so as soon as the votes were close, I acted on it.

As RW was thinking.....if I had only waited! ;)  Next time, I'll wait a bit longer.

jb_adams,
My buddy has a Shimano baitcaster and it just feels rough and not very smooth in the gears. He thinks it's smooth but I actually felt it was a bit rough. If I go with a Shimano in the future, I think I'll at least get the Stradic.
No comparison between spinning reels and baitcasters.

Tight Lines!!!

That's true I guess.  Never thought about it that way.  His baitcaster is a lower end Shimano too I believe.

The new Pflueger reel arrived today. It sure is pretty! ;D My buddy just got a Shimano Sedona so I'll compare the two this weekend and let you know the difference. So far, there is no slack in the anti-reverse, the bail is balanced well, it's smooth as melted butter due to the 9 ball bearings, and the drag has a broad range of adjustment without being too broad. The extra spool is nice too.

I'm happy with it so far. I hope to give it a good test this weekend if the weather holds up.

Thanks again guys for all the help! ;)

my vote was going to be for the pflueger, but it doesn't matter much at this point. i just picked up the 6735 about two months ago and absolutely love it, and i hope you do, too. i also have a shimano senora, which is the cheap $40 reel they sell at walmart, but for the price it's a great reel. my next reel purchase will be a couple steps up either with a pflueger or a shimano, probably a shimano just to see what the hype's all about.

good luck with the president!

Guest the_muddy_man
The new Pflueger reel arrived today. It sure is pretty! ;D My buddy just got a Shimano Sedona so I'll compare the two this weekend and let you know the difference. So far, there is no slack in the anti-reverse, the bail is balanced well, it's smooth as melted butter due to the 9 ball bearings, and the drag has a broad range of adjustment without being too broad. The extra spool is nice too.

I'm happy with it so far. I hope to give it a good test this weekend if the weather holds up.

Thanks again guys for all the help! :)

You now is a Pflueger Mook, and we are outnumbered. big time ;) ::)

Thanks again guys for all the help! :)

You now is a Pflueger Mook, and we are outnumbered. big time ;) ::)

I don't always buy into name brands.  I usually like to spend a ton of money trying to see it the other fellow is right before I buy the name brand....

(just kidding)

Actually, I bought strictly on personal experience with Pflueger and so far, I'm impressed again.  One day, I'll step up to a Shimano if I get really comfortable with spinning reels.  I'm still a baitcast junkie.  I can throw one all day and be happy.