Sign in to follow this  
Incheon Basser

What is your favorite Action for a Spinner bait rod

what lengths and Action do you all prefer for Spinner baits

I prefer a somewhat flexible rod, but with a faster action than crankbaits. I usually use a 6'6" medium graphite casting rod for most spinnerbaits. Heavy cover or bigger spinnerbaits (over 1/2 ounce) call for a faster action and heavier power. Many crankbait rods make good spinnerbait rods IMO.

I really like the 7' Medium Fast

Fast, I usually am burning a spinnerbait over the top of grass or slow rollig it along a deep weedline, any thing slower in action loads up to much when I have to "pop" it free from weeds and I don't get that crisp rip away from the grass to keep it clean and running right.

I like my 6'9" MH Kistler Mag TS for just about all my spinnerbaiting, bumping wood/dock posts, burning over grass, ripping through grass, waking, it handles 3/16-3/8 oz baits well. I'll switch to my 7' H for long casts with 1/2-3/4 oz baits for slow rolling deeper weedlines, points and rock piles or those times when a big spinner bait is needed.

I love my G Loomis SBR812 spinnerbait rod.  It's soft enough to cast light spinnerbaits and that extra fast tip allows me to accurately cast my spinnerbaits into the tightest of cover. 

I like a F or XF action for any single hook bait. A 6'6" or 7' M or MH power depending on the situation.

6'6'' MH Fast

Ive found the extra length of 7's doesnt really translate to longer casts. Im much more accurate with an old 6'6'' MH Fenwick HMG that I've had for over 5 years than any other rod I own.

7'MH-F

+1

I use a MH/XF for buzzbaits, and the tip is too flimsy for most spinnerbaits.  It's harder to snap them free from weeds with the XF tip.

You want a faster action than some crank rods to be able to jerk it free of weeds that cling. But most plastics rods are too stiff for spinnerbaits. Buzzbait rods IMO need to be about like a crank stick.

7' MHF

5 years ago, I fished spinnerbaits much more than I do now.  I was in close to a grand and I had a number of rods I fished spinnerbaits with, they were ok but not great.  I found an All Star 6'8" Zell Rowland spinnerbait rod.  That's what I use now and I'm totally happy with it.  I bought 5 of them, so I would have spares and back ups.  They are also a great shallow square bill crank bait rod.

I have a buddy who has a Loomis spinner bait rod.  He likes it but he won't let me touch it.  He's phobic.  I'm not that tough on rods, I break around 1 per year, on average, and my very worst year I only broke 4.

I 'm getting way off subject - sorry - try the All Star 6'8" Zell Rowland spinnerbait rod.

I like a 6'-6" Med heavy rod with a fast tip. Its the same set up that I use for crankbaits.

If it works for KVD it works for me. 6'10" MH Fast Action KVD Tour Elite

X2 ! And I like the 6'6" model as well.

;)

A-Jay