Jump to content
Catt

So Yall Want To Learn Toledo Bend?

Recommended Posts

I think he turned it loose after weighing at Fin and Feathers and should have the new record. If so, congrats again!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my hook and line mapp and it has been very helpful in how I’m fishing. Thanks for the help and I will post how I finish in our company bass tournament at the end of March

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have Monday off but the weather doesn’t look favorable. Can’t catch them at home I know but starting the day below 40 degrees and north wind 10 plus mph doesn’t seem enjoyable. IF I go I will probably play in pirates cove and launch at army rec. Should I burn the diesel and gas and go?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, airborneduckhunter said:

So I have Monday off but the weather doesn’t look favorable. Can’t catch them at home I know but starting the day below 40 degrees and north wind 10 plus mph doesn’t seem enjoyable. IF I go I will probably play in pirates cove and launch at army rec. Should I burn the diesel and gas and go?  

It's just me and my opinion but I would just sleep in Monday to be honest.

 

Cold air temps, cold water temps, raising water if we get the rain they say we should plus post front conditions and typical March winds.

 

I would just stay in bed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@airborneduckhunter I aint that mad at em! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DandY said:

Don't eat the Spotted Bass just yet! What does it weigh?

 

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/alltackle.php?WB_code=0734

She weighted 4.49 on the scales at Fin & Feather. Will send in the paper work and pictures on Monday.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious if anyone familiar with Toledo Bend might know a bit about the Sabine River several miles above the main lake.

 

There is a well-known little establishment called River Ridge, big on white bass guided trips during the spawn, other river fishing, too, I suspect. What I am particularly interested in knowing is if one launched from River Ridge, there is a place on the map known as Yellow Dog Boat Ramp, about 9.5 miles downstream.

 

For a float trip in canoes or kayaks, what would the river conditions be like along that stretch? Flow rate, all open water or is it blocked in areas, impressions from anyone familiar with fishing up above the main lake?

 

It looks like a really nice stretch of river to fish. It is about a 45 minute drive from Yellow Dog back up and around to get back to River Ridge, so the logistics of that would have to be worked out. Who knows . . . maybe Uber is available as one way to get back!

 

This is on my Bucket List!

 

Brad

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Brad Reid Farthest north I've been is the Clement Clark area.

 

I know more about the Sabine River below the dam to the Gulf of Mexico.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So finally home and can give a report on what I found.

 

In the last two weeks of fishing every day around carrice area.  Our big fish came from Drains with grass on them. White chatter baits. Not many bites doing this but you would get 4 to 5 bites a day.  Also we used frogs and spooks to locate bass around these drains.  They would not swallow eat the frog but push it with there mouth closed to get it away from them. Then we would drop a weightless fluke on them. You had to let the fluke sit for up to a minute but it was a bite pretty much every time.

 

For our numbers we would find ridges and hard spots in 15 foot of water where fish were setting up.  I think we caught 5 Male bass in 2 weeks. All females staging up.

 

  Also yesterday we finally got on a flipping bite. Ridges with grass flipping black and blue stickbaits. The bass would not touch 5 or 6 inch stickbaits they  had to be 9 to 11 inches long unpeged and you had to stroke the worm hard. This was in 5 to 10 fow.

 

Big thing for us when we went shallow was doing something different. Nobody had a frog or spook in there hand and it allowed us to find fish going behind the 20 guys flipping or rolling a spinnerbait.

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@operationgrass Awesome!

 

Counting down the days 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, operationgrass said:

So finally home and can give a report on what I found.

 

In the last two weeks of fishing every day around carrice area.  Our big fish came from Drains with grass on them. White chatter baits. Not many bites doing this but you would get 4 to 5 bites a day.  Also we used frogs and spooks to locate bass around these drains.  They would not swallow eat the frog but push it with there mouth closed to get it away from them. Then we would drop a weightless fluke on them. You had to let the fluke sit for up to a minute but it was a bite pretty much every time.

 

For our numbers we would find ridges and hard spots in 15 foot of water where fish were setting up.  I think we caught 5 Male bass in 2 weeks. All females staging up.

 

  Also yesterday we finally got on a flipping bite. Ridges with grass flipping black and blue stickbaits. The bass would not touch 5 or 6 inch stickbaits they  had to be 9 to 11 inches long unpeged and you had to stroke the worm hard. This was in 5 to 10 fow.

 

Big thing for us when we went shallow was doing something different. Nobody had a frog or spook in there hand and it allowed us to find fish going behind the 20 guys flipping or rolling a spinnerbait.

 

 Nice write up.  Hopefully I will be there this weekend, but every time I look at the weather forecast it gets worse.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Amateur Hour said:

 

 Nice write up.  Hopefully I will be there this weekend, but every time I look at the weather forecast it gets worse.

Wait an hour or so and it’ll change completely. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigjean663 said:

Wait an hour or so and it’ll change completely. 

 

With this front that just hit I'm pretty sure it did 😠

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Catt said:

 

With this front that just hit I'm pretty sure it did 😠

I’m headed to Mississippi for a two week school on how to safely disassemble meth labs. Wind chill will be around 17 lol. Still brought 4 baitcast combos with me. I’m fishing one way or another. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love fat prespawner but I sure miss consist summer bass.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2019 at 12:09 PM, operationgrass said:

 Ridges with grass

Ridges with grass you say.......

care to elaborate on that?

 

 

On 3/3/2019 at 12:09 PM, operationgrass said:

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weather forecast is 8-10 hour below freezing with a low of 23°!

 

Are you kidding me 😠

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say stickbaits I assume Senko type baits. Custom?  Who sells 9 and 11" stickbaits?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the snow flurries we had at the house just before dark today. I'm good boat can stay parked till this weekend.

 

Got too love this March weather, seems like it gets weirder every year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't who came up with the idea of climate change but I'm pretty sure they were from Louisiana!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah a ridge with grass on it. Took me about 3 months to find it in the fall. It's just a small 3 foot rise maybe 100 yards long and maybe 4 foot wide.

 

Yes most where custom sinkos I made for falcon a few years back. At one point in the trip we were trying to super glue the regular 5 and 6 inch versions together.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The grass you are seeing around Carrice, is it hydrilla?  Not interested in your spot, but I am interested in knowing if the grass may finally be coming back.  Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, operationgrass said:

Yeah a ridge with grass on it. Took me about 3 months to find it in the fall. It's just a small 3 foot rise maybe 100 yards long and maybe 4 foot wide

 

Sounds like you found ole Jack (fishfordollars) Yates hole!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...