Jump to content
Megastink

2016 ICAST Leaks/Wish List

Recommended Posts

It's almost that time, folks! I've started threads like this for a few years now. This year, instead of posting things that we know are coming, I'm adding a "wish list" section. So, if you hear about a bait, reel, rod, whatever, post it. But also post the things you're crossing your fingers to see. I'll go first with my wish list:

-Strike King Popping KVD Frog

-Detailed craw patterns on Strike King square bills

-Solid nose of the Shadelicious 

-Hi-Seas 40lb braid

-Ardent Gliss in 50-80lb test

- I want someone to come up with a swimbait hook that doesn't year the nose out like screw locks do

-Lightweight Duckett spinning reels, 2000 size = <6.5oz

-Price Reduction on Duckett baitcasting reels (320=$150 and 360=$200)

-6'10" Medium Duckett White Ice with a 12-13" handle

 

A man can dream!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Butch brown deps thumper swimbait!!!!!!! Been watching him with this bait and can't wait

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cool innovation at an affordable price....  i know crazy right, but like you said, a man can dream!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buzzed bait said:

cool innovation at an affordable price....  i know crazy right, but like you said, a man can dream!

I would like to see more brands at lower prices. Yum always has some cool stuff at a good price point. Berkley has thrown out some innovative styles in the havoc line at a great price, and I would guess the pit boss is one of their more popular baits. 

Hope other companies follow their lead. 

Would be awesome if Zman came out with a skinny Zinkerz. I have been doing really well with a skinny stick bait this year and would like a Zman version for a tail up presentation that the Zinkerz is famous for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Savage Gear rat is supposed to come out at Icast, pretty stoked to see all the sizes/colors

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ktho said:

The Savage Gear rat is supposed to come out at Icast, pretty stoked to see all the sizes/colors

x2

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ktho said:

The Savage Gear rat is supposed to come out at Icast, pretty stoked to see all the sizes/colors

Going to come in 2 sizes, 7 and 11 inches I believe and 4 colors; white, brown, black, and grey. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I wonder whether St Croix will be releasing a new avid/avid x range as they've now put their SC111 graphite in their cheaper rod ranges and it's harder to differentiate between their lower cost rod ranges.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only hook that doesn't tear the nose of a soft plastic is the spring lock versions. The stick with a bunch of arrows on it is horrible and falls out. Keitech will last 4 times longer with a spring lock. 

I'm looking forward to the savage gear rat and duck. Also want to try the new SK rage swimmers although siebert already has them availible. I want to see more frogs with rabbit fur or feathers instead of the same old rubber strands. Also looking for a small ribbit version frog from Zman. I have their popfrogz and don't like the action. A sliding keel weight with a spring lock, I know one company does it but I want more to so you can alter nose dive to horizontal fall on the fly.

Half the stuff in my tackle boxes are perch colored but soft plastics never have this color. Always looking for variations of yellow, black, orange, green swirl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to add to my wish list: a Jr sized Zoom Horny Toad: 3.5-3.75"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cgolf said:

Would be awesome if Zman came out with a skinny Zinkerz. I have been doing really well with a skinny stick bait this year and would like a Zman version for a tail up presentation that the Zinkerz is famous for.

Try a finesse wormz.  I have done pretty well with it on both a Ned rig and a shaky head.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cgolf said:

Would be awesome if Zman came out with a skinny Zinkerz. I have been doing really well with a skinny stick bait this year and would like a Zman version for a tail up presentation that the Zinkerz is famous for.

One of the guys I follow on Youtube has a solution for this already.

 

A few more options are the finesse wormZ, FattyZ, or a Hula Stick. All are thinner than a Zinker and offer different, unique actions. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

One of the guys I follow on Youtube has a solution for this already.

 

A few more options are the finesse wormZ, FattyZ, or a Hula Stick. All are thinner than a Zinker and offer different, unique actions. 

Great idea!  I am definitely going to try that modification next time i'm out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Going to come in 2 sizes, 7 and 11 inches I believe and 4 colors; white, brown, black, and grey. 

pretty likely i'll pick a couple up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IndianaFinesse said:

Try a finesse wormz.  I have done pretty well with it on both a Ned rig and a shaky head.

I have done that, but the shape isn't super consistent and it has one flat side. Currently I use an Anglers Choice Wart hawg as an alternative.

Something that would be nice to see is a whopper plopper between the 90 which seems to small and the 130 that seems to big for WI bass. We need that just right size, maybe a 110.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- I'm wondering if more companies will introduce plastics that are cut/sized for the Ned Rig.  That rig seems to be getting popular and it seems like it would be a simple design to add if they already make a stickbait.

- I think more rat-style topwater baits will be coming soon in the sub-$40 range.  Spro's Rat has sold like wildfire, the new Savage Gear rat looks amazing and will be cheap at only $20/$25, and Ima's Disrat ($35) is priced low too.  I'd be shocked if companies like Strike King and River2Sea didn't have some sort of rat bait being developed.

- Still waiting for Shimano to announce a change on the warranties on their rods back to lifetime.  I wonder how much of a hit they've taken on rod sales since they made the warranty change.  The local tackle shop here pretty much stopped stocking their rods and replaced them with other brands, and on this forum and other forums Shimano very rarely comes up when people are looking for a new rod, either as a brand they're considering, or a brand someone will recommend when replying to a thread.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, blckshirt98 said:

- I'm wondering if more companies will introduce plastics that are cut/sized for the Ned Rig.  That rig seems to be getting popular and it seems like it would be a simple design to add if they already make a stickbait.

- I think more rat-style topwater baits will be coming soon in the sub-$40 range.  Spro's Rat has sold like wildfire, the new Savage Gear rat looks amazing and will be cheap at only $20/$25, and Ima's Disrat ($35) is priced low too.  I'd be shocked if companies like Strike King and River2Sea didn't have some sort of rat bait being developed.

- Still waiting for Shimano to announce a change on the warranties on their rods back to lifetime.  I wonder how much of a hit they've taken on rod sales since they made the warranty change.  The local tackle shop here pretty much stopped stocking their rods and replaced them with other brands, and on this forum and other forums Shimano very rarely comes up when people are looking for a new rod, either as a brand they're considering, or a brand someone will recommend when replying to a thread.

 

I doubt it.  In today's age of scammers and spammers, blogging and frogging...  Lifetime warranty is like $1/gal gas-  It was cool but it isn't coming back.  Loomis isn't bringing back the wildcard either.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their lifetime warranty was ripe for abuse. A new rod coming out? Cool I'll break my old one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ktho said:

Their lifetime warranty was ripe for abuse. A new rod coming out? Cool I'll break my old one.

 

Maybe that's a little extreme, but lifetime just doesnt make good business sense for fragile goods like fishing poles unless there are major disclaimers involved and then why even bother?  Factory defects break right away anyways.  I think a flat replacement fee is more the norm now and for good reason.  Heck, the last time I broke a rod, 13 let me pay the replacement fee and then flat out pick any rod from that line.  That's smart!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lifetime OTC free warranty was a bit absurd, I'm hoping for something more along the lines of what Phenix or St. Croix does where you pay a replacement fee that's lower than a completely new rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shimano's new warranty isn't terrible.  You can pay a replacement fee of 50% off retail for a new rod.  Fast and free shipping too.  When you look at every other replacement plan, they all seem to run around $50 to $60 for the fee plus $15-$20 return shipping.  Not much of a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RichF said:

Shimano's new warranty isn't terrible.  You can pay a replacement fee of 50% off retail for a new rod.  Fast and free shipping too.  When you look at every other replacement plan, they all seem to run around $50 to $60 for the fee plus $15-$20 return shipping.  Not much of a difference.

Interesting, I didn't know this.  I thought after the 1-year period, if you broke your rod you were screwed and had to buy a new rod.  If I'm reading this right, this program lets you replace a qualifying rod for 50% off MSRP anytime after the 1-year period even if it's your own fault?  This isn't the best replacement program out there but isn't horrible either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, blckshirt98 said:

Interesting, I didn't know this.  I thought after the 1-year period, if you broke your rod you were screwed and had to buy a new rod.  If I'm reading this right, this program lets you replace a qualifying rod for 50% off MSRP anytime after the 1-year period even if it's your own fault?  This isn't the best replacement program out there but isn't horrible either.

it's not advertised at all, i believe if you call them and ask they'll honor that.  but still not all that great considering their other company, loomis, you can replace the top of the line NRX for $100 no questions asked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×