Jump to content

Night Bassing ~ A-Jay's Version


Recommended Posts

  • Super User

California you must have running lights on at sundown, the rear white light 6" above the OB and stays on until you are at the marina. We also have a 10 mph speed limit at night on most lakes, not everyone follows the rules and some idiots in a blacked out boats are on the pad at speed in the dark......scary if you are fishing off shore structure.

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
47 minutes ago, papajoe222 said:

Catt, What is WOT?

As for graphs, I turn down the brightness also, but I also tilt the displaly down. If I'm anchored, I'll turn it off.

WOT= Wide Open Throttle

Jeff

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
3 hours ago, 00 mod said:

Question for us humans who do not fish as much at night as some of you veterans-

What do you do about the light from your graphs?  They are a necessity to finding offshore structure or just waypoints, but emit a ton of light!

Jeff

Jeff I turn the "Brightness"  Off - and there is still plenty of back light to see the screen but not enough to light up the lake.

A-Jay

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Shallow vs Deep

I've found shallow water offers more opportunities to use different techniques.

My love however lies offshore!

The one advantage deep has over shallow is the same as during the daylight; bigger bass. Well that & most anglers don't like fishing offshore during daylight let alone at night. I've spent all night on deep water structure without ever seeing a boat all night.

One piece of equipment you'll need on offshore structure is an anchor. I setup shallow & cast deep with Texas rigs, Jigs, Carolina rigs, or deep cranks.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
11 minutes ago, kickerfish1 said:

Great write up A-Jay! As I type this we are sitting at 95 degrees with  "Real Feel" of over 100. Night fishing sounds pretty cool right now;)

You and me both. It's "only" 90 outside right now...but I knew it was going to be warm enough today that I blew off having a " boat day"...:lol:  Bank fished this morning, got a little bass, mission complete. A bass a day keeps the doctor away...;)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
5 hours ago, 00 mod said:

Question for us humans who do not fish as much at night as some of you veterans-

What do you do about the light from your graphs?  They are a necessity to finding offshore structure or just waypoints, but emit a ton of light!

Jeff

Dim the backlight or change background to blue

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Excellent work..been awhile since i read anything pertaining to safety. Much appreciated.

Test those pfd's if your going to depend on them, what's the cost of a couple co2 cartridges compared to your life? 

Stay safe Y'all..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Something no one has mentioned & is one of the things I love about night fishing is the sights, sounds, & smells of night fishing.

I've seen meteor showers, a small meteor hit Toledo Bend, owls hunting, Bats by the dozens.

Sounds that'll make ya start the outboard & leave an area!

When ya dead tired & the smell of coffee & bacon fills the air ya get a second wind.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

i'm no expert with the thing, but if i'm not mistaken, my lowrance 4x HDI has a "night" operation that is not too very bright at all.  i've also adjusted the backlight brightness because it's nearly blinding in the pitch black when on normal mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I don't know how I missed this, great work AJ! I honestly have nothing to add as you covered It well. I will repeat what you said about safety. It's a must to know your water well as It's a different animal at night. 

This type of thread Is why Bassresource.com is by far the best bass site on the 'net. Thanks to all who participated!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great writeup!

I'm a bit perplexed by the "less moonlight is better" philosophy.  Am I correct in that this is mainly a necessity for stealth, or do you think fish are hungrier when there is no moon?

I ONLY fish during a bright moon.  Most of the water I fish is stained, and I usually stay on shore so boat shadows aren't an issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
8 hours ago, flyingmonkie said:

Great writeup!

I'm a bit perplexed by the "less moonlight is better" philosophy.  Am I correct in that this is mainly a necessity for stealth, or do you think fish are hungrier when there is no moon?

I ONLY fish during a bright moon.  Most of the water I fish is stained, and I usually stay on shore so boat shadows aren't an issue.

I can not say for sure why I don't get nearly as many bites on a bright night as I do on a totally to near moonless night but I do.

My version of the reason is that many of the lakes here have very clear water, so with a big bright moon, the advantage of "Darkness" is all but gone for me.   I can see shallow water cover quite easily, so I can assume the bass can see equally as well also. 

I'd love to be able to catch on the brighter nights as opposed to the pitch black ones but my results make the choice easy for me. 

Moon = no bass.  No Moon = Bass.  So fishing on a full moon is certainly Night Bassing but for me there's less catching. 

Finally - there are still bass to be caught any night.  We catch them on cloudy days so a bright night may be no different.  But just like some days offer better / more favorable conditions than others; same can be true at night.  And a moonless night is one of those for me.

Your results may vary.

A-Jay

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
7 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

I can not say for sure why I don't get nearly as many bites on a bright night as I do on a totally to near moonless night but I do.

My version of the reason is that many of the lakes here have very clear water, so with a big bright moon, the advantage of "Darkness" is all but gone for me.   I can see shallow water cover quite easily, so I can assume the bass can see equally as well also. 

I'd love to be able to catch on the brighter nights as opposed to the pitch black ones but my results make the choice easy for me. 

Moon = no bass.  No Moon = Bass.  So fishing on a full moon is certainly Night Bassing but for me there's less catching. 

Finally - there are still bass to be caught any night.  We catch them on cloudy days so a bright night may be no different.  But just like some days offer better / more favorable conditions than others; same can be true at night.  And a moonless night is one of those for me.

Your results may vary.

A-Jay

I also prefer darker nights. Full moon nights are extremely difficult for me, but one thing I've noticed is I tend to get at least 1 big bite on bright nights. If I had the option, I'd mainly stick to around half moon to a new moon. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Three days either side of the full moon I tend to fish deeper offshore structure. 

Around the new moon I'll tend to move shallow.

Unless there's cloud cover, then it's a coin flip!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
17 hours ago, Catt said:

Three days either side of the full moon I tend to fish deeper offshore structure. 

Around the new moon I'll tend to move shallow.

Unless there's cloud cover, then it's a coin flip!

Maybe that's my issue. I tend to stay shallow at night regardless of moon phase. I'll have to try backing off the bank next time and seeing if that helps. I have started sticking to lighter colors during a bright moon and noticed an increase in productivity when I did that, but still way down from darker nights. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
8 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Maybe that's my issue. I tend to stay shallow at night regardless of moon phase. I'll have to try backing off the bank next time and seeing if that helps. I have started sticking to lighter colors during a bright moon and noticed an increase in productivity when I did that, but still way down from darker nights. 

Is your strengths to fish shallow?

Night is not a good time to experiment in areas ya ain't comfortable with?

Something else to consider is moon rise, right now the moon is up in the afternoon. But on nights when the moon rises after sunset I'll wait until a hour prior to moon rise to be on the water.

Moon set: right now the moon sets before sun up so for the last two nights I've left about an hour after moon set.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Very nice write up. I'd be tempted to do some night fishing, but I have to be to work close to the butt crack of dawn or at least it seems that way for me. Maybe I'll give it a shot some weekend that I don't have a tourney!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, WIGuide said:

Very nice write up. I'd be tempted to do some night fishing, but I have to be to work close to the butt crack of dawn or at least it seems that way for me. Maybe I'll give it a shot some weekend that I don't have a tourney!

That doesn't sound good at All !

:)

A-Jay

holding-your-nose-201x300.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
On 6/17/2016 at 3:59 PM, A-Jay said:

Show Off ~ :)

What it that ?

A-Jay

Death! ;)

We killing em with that!

Grande Bass 5" SnakeO, color Trophy Hunter, the front half is like a senko.

snake.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...