Sign in to follow this  
UKCATSBASSER

Favorite bait and color for flipping/pitching wood?

I mostly used used RI beavers but lately the $3/ pack YUM Christie critters are a good bang for your buck. 

Like black and blue. 

Your choice?

image.thumb.jpg.9b21be41987fb13456d6c15230619c82.jpg

• Like 1

Black and blue jig with craw type trailer.

I have started making skirts to match forrage and I made a bluegill match to the tanic water we have in FL and it is a Smoke Purple, Metalic Grey, Watermelon Blue Flash, few strands of a dark Orange color.....

I rig this up on punch skirts, Arkie Jigs 3/8, Swim jigs, bladed jigs and use the standard trailers in Purple, Black/chart, Watermelon candy...Been happy with the GYB 4" Spider Jigs under the skirt for bulk, or just rigging on a Strike King JIg like above but a different brand swinging Jig  a friend makes....or buys, not sure but they flatter head than the SK jig above but I like this jig, especially with a blade added to the front, becomes better than a new chatterbait imo....1 large oval split ring, oversized blade, small strong Tsunami clip with swivel to stop twist as it darts left to right and all over all on it's own, reminds me of the D&M Jigs.

Berkley Pit Boss In Big Texan Color shrouded with a punch skirt in Missouri Craw color. 1/4 or 3/8 oz weight with a 4/0 flipping hook t rigged. I don't peg the weight. 

4 hours ago, chadmack282 said:

What jig is that Catt?

image.thumb.jpg.83ec59cbf8fcd426f5d62bdf0a3ed410 (1).jpg

• Like 2

Last week it was a junebug Pit Boss on a 1/4oz candy purple homemade swing head.

2 weeks ago it was an 11" Redbug C Mac worm or solid black brush hog. 

My favorite is whatever the fish are eating that day. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, primetime said:

I have started making skirts to match forrage and I made a bluegill match to the tanic water we have in FL and it is a Smoke Purple, Metalic Grey, Watermelon Blue Flash, few strands of a dark Orange color.....

I rig this up on punch skirts, Arkie Jigs 3/8, Swim jigs, bladed jigs and use the standard trailers in Purple, Black/chart, Watermelon candy...Been happy with the GYB 4" Spider Jigs under the skirt for bulk, or just rigging on a Strike King JIg like above but a different brand swinging Jig  a friend makes....or buys, not sure but they flatter head than the SK jig above but I like this jig, especially with a blade added to the front, becomes better than a new chatterbait imo....1 large oval split ring, oversized blade, small strong Tsunami clip with swivel to stop twist as it darts left to right and all over all on it's own, reminds me of the D&M Jigs.

Don't mean to hijack but I would love to see this chatterbait if you have pic. I've never had one dart left or right

recently found that the RI beavers don't hold up as well as i would like so i'm on the hunt for something else last week i picked up 4 different beavers to try out i will let you know which one i like best 

I use the same Texas rigs for pitching that I do for casting . Why not ?  Most of the time I'm doing both so that usually means I'm pitching a six inch worm . No skin hooking , I bury the barb and once I get it satisfactorily straight  ,I  run the hook all the way through once , then back it back down . Now I'm extremely weedless and the hooksets are easy because of the channel just made ..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scarborough817 said:

recently found that the RI beavers don't hold up as well as i would like so i'm on the hunt for something else last week i picked up 4 different beavers to try out i will let you know which one i like best 

So far my favorite is Berkley Havoc Pit Boss. They're super cheap and have a thicker body, so they actually stay hooked when using a straight shanked flipping hook. I don't understand why so many beaver baits have a wide, flat body- that thin body gives the hook point almost nothing to stay in.

9 minutes ago, Evan K said:

So far my favorite is Berkley Havoc Pit Boss. They're super cheap and have a thicker body, so they actually stay hooked when using a straight shanked flipping hook. I don't understand why so many beaver baits have a wide, flat body- that thin body gives the hook point almost nothing to stay in.

that's what i was thinking i have used the pit boss in the past but i picked up the wolly bug, some more flappin' hogs, some flappin' weasels from anglers choice and some zoom z hogs

reaction inovations  beaver in hemotoma,its' a black and blue swirl, works great here in Fl.

9 hours ago, riverbasser said:

Don't mean to hijack but I would love to see this chatterbait if you have pic. I've never had one dart left or right

I will get a couple of pics of different bladed Jigs I have that are all tuned to move erratic, I am not sure if it is the oversized blades I am putting on them, the connection, or the trailer, but instead of just vibrating when reeling slowly, they almost have the action of one of those action discs you can put in front of baits they sold on TV....

I have been trying to get the blade really close to the head and I have been surprised how different the action is if you do the 1 split ring for flat eye, 2 rings for vertical, but oval or spinnerbait wire allows you to manipulate distance, and it seems the longer away they get the harder they are to keep vibrating...

I will put some pics together when I get home. I will find out what type of heads they are, they are not anything fancy, I think they may be a Bass Assassin Jig with a long shank, or a DOA saltwater jig...Either way, it looks like the Fastach head the SK is using on the swing jig.

Just started fishing bladed jigs after not using them for a year, not sure why I stopped but have the fever again. I noticed that every company in the USA now just takes their swim jig, and then adds a nice Mustad Snap to look strong, and then they have to attach the blade seperate due to the Z-Man Patent. 

If the company makes the bait outside the USA you can get a blade on the jig without the ring, snap, wire, and the patent doesn't hold up whiich is why guys are paying so much money online for the japanese lures which are not all that great imo. I tried the Jackall one and also one from another company, not sure if it was Lucky Craft or Some new name, it was a defect and paint was chipped but They fished like a standard chatterbait which I like but I hate the hooks on them as they split in half, and are just dull. 

I can't believe guys pay $10 for a $3 Jig you can buy on TW that only has a blade attached via split ring? Just look at the Swim Jig and vibrating jig and it is pretty easy to see how they just threw them together. The only one that has any unique design imo is the Stanley Hale which I am looking forward to trying soon. The Poison Jig from Strike King is wierd and I like it alot, for a bladed jig I think it is as good as the standard chatterbait with better hooks, and they use a split ring with a recessed eye, that bait is erratic if you put  longer trailer on it..Trailer makes a ton of difference...

Sorry for the ramble, I type fast and just let my mind go and the last few weeks I have been working on finding the perfect bait and feel I am making progress, many times it is a catch 22 because converting strikes can be tough if your trailer is too big etc..

I will post pics and I wanted to start a thread about ideas, I am curious to see if anyone else is simply using ball bearing swivels that are tiny yet strong, or wire to attach them, or using the large blade on lighter jigs....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scaleface said:

I use the same Texas rigs for pitching that I do for casting . Why not ?  Most of the time I'm doing both so that usually means I'm pitching a six inch worm . No skin hooking , I bury the barb and once I get it satisfactorily straight  ,I  run the hook all the way through once , then back it back down . Now I'm extremely weedless and the hooksets are easy because of the channel just made ..

I do the same thing using my t rig. I don't run my hook through though. Hooks are razer sharp the days. I try to leave a certain amount of material depending on what I'm using and I let it stay buried. This seems to make.my bait last just a little bit longer. I've had no problems with it hooking up. I'm using a offset round bend worm hook on slender profile baits like a 6" worm. And flipping style hook on the thicker baits like a Pit Boss. 

Pit Boss a punch skirt a 4/0 flipping hook and a weight usually not pegged are one of my favorite baits to pick at spots bass like. Colors are dependent on what's going on but the Big Texan color Pit Boss with a Missouri Craw color skirt is one combo I keep tied on fairly regularly. 

• Like 1

Vertical wood, like standing trees or lay down wood?  To me that is 2 different situations, different approaches, using similar gear.  Standing trees are generally in somewhat deeper water and fish are often suspended  somewhere between the surface and the bottom.  In my experience the place they are most likely stacked is the first or second major limb extending from the trunk of the tree, they will often be tucked in right beneath it, in kind of a shade pocket.  Several approaches suggest themselves.   Drifting a wacky senko vertically, as close as you can get it to the trunk of the tree works sometimes.  Dropping a 10' worm down close to the trunk, through the branches, different weights work better on different days, got to experiment, 3/16 or 1/4 on 17 lb fluoro is a good place to start.   Cranking a DC 16 or DC 13 Timber Tiger through the branches is another option.

Lay down wood, connected to the bank or randomly distributed in more shallow water is kinda different.  Nearly any jig/trailer or tx rigged soft plastic will work, just got to experiment with different weights & trailers to get the drop speed they want that day.  I fish quite a bit of this type of cover and the jury is still out as to which bait style is working the best this year.  Last year, a quarter ounce Brewer Slider Pro head, 5" paddle tail worm fished on 10 lb Abrazx was by far the ticket for numbers of fish.  I caught more bigger fish pitching a bigger worm tx rigged, either a10" Power worm or an old Powerbait pulse worm.   The incidence of bites was significantly less throwing the larger worms, so I didn't do that as much as I probably should have.  10 minutes of no bites and I'd pick up the smaller jig worm combo again.

I know guys whose primary approach to shallow wood ( less than 7' deep) is a half ounce short arm spinnerbait, single spin with a blade a little bigger than a quarter, fished on 17 or 20 lb line.   I just can't make that approach work for me.  That could be more of a Truman thing, than the smaller clearer water 300 acre or so conservation lake that I generally fish.  I have seen guys use the short arm spinner bait like a drop bait, pitch it and let it helicopter down the trunks of standing trees and have good success.    I've tried that some and never caught a fish  doing that.

• Like 2

Same stuff I pitch/flip grass and docks with.

Colors............Black/blue or green pumpkin depending on water clarity/sky light conditions. K.I.S.S. with color, it's usually dark (even in clear water) in the spots that hold the best bass, and it's often a reaction bite caused by you dropping something into there hidey hole, no need to re-invent the wheel with color choices. About as fancy as I get with color is, I will dip the tails/tips of green pumpkin baits in chart. dye if the water is stained.

Baits.............T-rigged craws, worms, creature baits,  some times a wacky rigged stick bait on a weighted wacky jig, bubba shot rig, or a skirted flipping  jig with a craw/creature bait trailer.........depends on what they are willing to bite. I always like to "go big" first, with jigs and full sized creature baits, if that's not getting bit I scale down to smaller profile jigs, jr. size creature baits, the wacky jig stick bait, bubba shot or a worm.............also depends on if I am fishing "behind" some one. If other anglers have been pounding this stuff with jigs, I might go with a worm just to give the bass something different to look at.

weights............1/8 - 1oz. depending on the depth, thickness of the cover, and the fishes mood.......sometimes they want a fast fall, sometimes they want it slow. 1/2 oz is a good "all around size" for jigs and t-rigged craws/creature baits, 1/4 for worms as they fall quicker on lighter weight than the other baits due to the slim profile and less "drag" they cause in the water.

• Like 1

Rage Craw, Pit Bosses, and Chigger Craws get thrown from me a lot.

Pepper Custom Baits 1/4 ounce jig in green pumpkin with a green pumpkin rage chunk trailer. The same exact lure and trailer, except Blue/Black, for stained water.

Jig/craw, beavers, or 5" flippin' tubes.