Jump to content
Catch and Grease

Are F-150s Good Trucks?

Recommended Posts

I am thinking about getting an Ford F-150 I have been looking at ones made between 2004-2008, has anybody owned or does anybody own one of these model 150s? Did you like it, any complaints? 

 

I'm trying to find a truck 10,000$ or less... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drive a 2000 Ford 150. The oldest vehicle I've ever owned (16 years). Gets me to work...to the lake. Got a few buds that own the ones in the range your talking about. Everyone seems happy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trucks are pretty good but the 2004-2008 V8 models had spark plug issues. They'd break off when you tried to get them out. A $50 job could run $500. Mechanics know about the problems and usually get them out but it takes a lot longer than it should. If a piece breaks off and falls into the cylinder, it becomes a major repair.  I have a 2003 that has been nothing but good for me. It pulls my boat like there is nothing back there.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changing the spark plugs is an EXPENSIVE and difficult proposition for certain model years.  Couldn't tell you which ones, though.

Oh, ah, Scott F says 2004-2008

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Scott F said:

The trucks are pretty good but the 2004-2008 V8 models had spark plug issues. They'd break off when you tried to get them out. A $50 job could run $500. Mechanics know about the problems and usually get them out but it takes a lot longer than it should. If a piece breaks off and falls into the cylinder, it becomes a major repair.  I have a 2003 that has been nothing but good for me. It pulls my boat like there is nothing back there.

 

 

^^ THIS ^^

Had a 2008 V-8 with 180k when they (local shop) went to change plugs and snapped two off. Got one out, the other they couldn't. Neither could Ford. Ended up taking the top off and redoing everything - $1500 later and they still did the job wrong. Was going to cost $4,000 to have Ford drop a new engine in it. Ended up selling it and moving on. Was a very good truck otherwise though :P

-T9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard about those spark plug problems... Pretty scary. I'm trying to decide if that's enough of a reason for me to drop the idea of getting an f150.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Catch and Grease said:

I heard about those spark plug problems... Pretty scary. I'm trying to decide if that's enough of a reason for me to drop the idea of getting an f150.

Just stay away from those model years and you should be fine.  My friend has an ecoboost F-150 and he likes it a lot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If properly maintained any of the major brands are good.  You'll find some who hate this brand or that brand, but by and large, most truck owners are satisfied with their choice.

The trick to buying anything used is to find one that has been serviced regularly by competent mechanics.  When looking at a particular vehicle ask to see its service records.  If they cannot provide them, move on.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the spark plugs being expensive to change (I had one back out and cause the computer to cook) my 2007 is still going strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There decent except the spark plug issue i work for ford and know alot of ppl with them. Look at the tundras there good trucks i bought one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2016 at 2:42 PM, Redlinerobert said:

Buy a Silverado instead.  :)

Shoot! Those rust buckets? I've been seeing 2010-12 Chevys around here rusting out around the rear wheel wells and cab corners! 

That new of a truck I'd be furious! 

I'm in the same boat as you.  I've been considering getting a 04 to 08 f150. But I've never been a huge fan of the 5.4. From what I've seen on these trucks,  the spark plugs are the only complaint.  Once the stock plus are out you don't have any worries. 

 

Lately I've been leaning towards a newer f150 with the 5.0 ora turbo ecoboost .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FordsnFishin, go with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Absolutely love mine, hard to beat the low end torque in a gas engine. My wife got her F150 with the 5.0, first time she towed the horse trailer with it she texted me how noticeable the lower power was. And I still get better MPG.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianinMD said:

FordsnFishin, go with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Absolutely love mine, hard to beat the low end torque in a gas engine. My wife got her F150 with the 5.0, first time she towed the horse trailer with it she texted me how noticeable the lower power was. And I still get better MPG.

Love my 3.5L Ecoboost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whassup pal, trying to start a fight between BR members ? :lol-045:

Few things are more sacred than a man's peekup truck.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a '99, there are some issues with these blowing spark plugs out of the head, I've had it happen once, I'm not sure if they corrected the problem with the head for the 04-08 model though. Also, take a good look under the truck, most of the 99-03's are prone to rusting out. At this point I think the only reason my bed doesn't have holes through the floor is because the of the spray in bedliner holding it together. With all that said, the truck drives fine for 160,000+ miles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also looking for an F150 as I finally realized I did not want to pay what a used Tacoma sells for.  The problem is, I cannot find one without a ton of rust.  I am fine with replacing an engine or trans, but I shudder at the thought of endlessly chasing rust.  I keep going to see trucks from CL and keep finding rusted out junk when the sellers always assure me that there is only "a little peeling paint".  Such a waste of time for eveyone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bunnielab said:

I am also looking for an F150 as I finally realized I did not want to pay what a used Tacoma sells for.  The problem is, I cannot find one without a ton of rust.  I am fine with replacing an engine or trans, but I shudder at the thought of endlessly chasing rust.  I keep going to see trucks from CL and keep finding rusted out junk when the sellers always assure me that there is only "a little peeling paint".  Such a waste of time for eveyone.  

I myself don't understand why these trucks rust out so bad, it's not just the body, a lot of guys are having structural rust issues to. I had an '85 F-250, it didn't have a spot of rust anywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The spark plug issue on the Fords is pretty much isolated to the 5.4.  Tons and tons of info on the internet about it.  As for rust, I feel your pain.  I have a '99 Tahoe with 240k on it and no rust. Very common to find these SUVs that are rust free.  Find me a '99 Ford, Chevy, or GMC pickup in my area with no rust on it and I'll put my unicorn in the bed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Onvacation said:

The spark plug issue on the Fords is pretty much isolated to the 5.4.  Tons and tons of info on the internet about it.  As for rust, I feel your pain.  I have a '99 Tahoe with 240k on it and no rust. Very common to find these SUVs that are rust free.  Find me a '99 Ford, Chevy, or GMC pickup in my area with no rust on it and I'll put my unicorn in the bed.  

Not sure where you are,  but I'm in mid Illinois where the roads get a inch of salt every day of winter.  An I have a 1999 f150 with out a trace of rust. 

 

I'll take my unicorn now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm right across the river from you.  Once Nessie gets over here, I'll ride over on her back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an '06 F-150 with the 5.4. 2 of my friends had similar year trucks with the same engine, both had a laundry list of issues that popped up right after the truck hit 100k. Told myself it wasn't going to be me. At 102k miles, my truck started missing (spark plugs), and the transmission started slipping. Ford dealership told me for every spark plug that snapped while they were changing them, it was $75 on up depending on how much work it took to get it out. Sounded like a quick way for the dealership to make a grand off me. Transmission was obviously going to be expensive, and the dealership said there was another major part that almost always fails after a new transmission was put on, that was another couple thousand dollars. So I was looking at upwards of 10k in repairs, for a truck that was barely worth that much, and that's why I now drive a Toyota Tundra. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just upgraded to a 2014 F-150.  My previous vehicle was a 2008 Ford Escape.  I like the truck so far but its kind of a tank.  And its a lot harder to park.  I realize now that parking ramps are clearly not designed for large vehicles.  The truck sure does tow the boat a lot easier than the Escape did.  And since the truck is 6 years newer, fuel mileage technology has improved to the point in that 6 year span where the mileage is about the same as the Escape was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This are great trucks in my opinion. Really wish could get one with a Cummins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×