Jump to content
CroakHunter

Switching lines...again

Recommended Posts

These last 2 years i have been fishing more and more. Pretty much quit hunting deer to hunt largemouth. After much research early last spring, i put flouro on all my setups besides my spinning rod, by may i had switched to all braid with fc leaders if needed. Loved it. This winter i got a wild hair and and bought enough p-line cxx to stretch from Southern indiana to mexico lol. Now i have braid in my cart on ebay about to switch back again...am i crazy or am i just a fisherman that is exploring my options? Also the reason behind the next possible switch is because i feel like there is to much spring (stretch) in my rods when throwing a jig, flipping, or just a t-rig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I'm constantly trying new line. Some is in service to our members. I owe it to us to report back on what our sponsors have sent us to evaluate. In other cases, I purchase line based on your recommendations. It's a two way street. I probably have a dozen different brands strung up.  Love it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is where personal reference starts to really develop, I think.  Everyone is going to have slightly different takes on which lines for which presentations based on conditions, how they fish, the water they fish, etc.. I've become a big proponent of braid main line because it allows me to swap out leaders quickly based on conditions rather than requiring changing spools/reels.  That said, there are some huge benefits to FC main line when you find one that handles they way you like, too.  I probably have 6-8 different spools on the boat/kayak most days in case I want to change up the leaders I tied up he night before. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Turkey sandwich said:

This is where personal reference starts to really develop, I think.  Everyone is going to have slightly different takes on which lines for which presentations based on conditions, how they fish, the water they fish, etc.. I've become a big proponent of braid main line because it allows me to swap out leaders quickly based on conditions rather than requiring changing spools/reels.  That said, there are some huge benefits to FC main line when you find one that handles they way you like, too.  I probably have 6-8 different spools on the boat/kayak most days in case I want to change up the leaders I tied up he night before. 

I think youre correct, its coming down to personal preference on what type of line i like to use for the water i fish. Not to change subject but can the same leader knot be used on copolymer as on fc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

Not to change subject but can the same leader knot be used on copolymer as on fc?

Yes, you can use the same leader knot weather your using mono, copoly, or flouro.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IndianaFinesse said:

Yes, you can use the same leader knot weather your using mono, copoly, or flouro.

Thank you! Another hoosier here as well. Nice to see someone from at least the same state. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you want a Flourocarbon line that has minimal stretch , try some Sunline Shooter . it is best used as a leader . you should probably stay away from Seaguar Flouro's as they have a LOT of stretch .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big Bait Fishing said:

if you want a Flourocarbon line that has minimal stretch , try some Sunline Shooter . it is best used as a leader . you should probably stay away from Seaguar Flouro's as they have a LOT of stretch .

Ive been eyeing some shooter on the american legacy website. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CroakHunter said:

Ive been eyeing some shooter on the american legacy website. 

it's prety expensive but you get what you pay for :Copy_of_icon_thumright:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try new stuff every once in a while but try not to go all out at once like you did.  I started of on cheap mono from walmart as i would expect most do and finally gravitated to braid next.  Then was flouro, and then co-poly.  Now a days i dont really try new stuff as much as try and improve a certain way i am fishing.  As the example you can see my current thread on braid.  Its not that i dislike the braid i am using, i was just trying to find a perfect braid for fishing a frog where it cut instead of wrapping around pads and other junk.  I will buy small spools and see if i can get that dialed in.  Try small changes as you will not find a perfect line for everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's nothing wrong with trying different options, how can you find what you like if you don't ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked your idea of using braided line with a fluorocarbon leader.

In fact, I would make only one small change, I'd ditch the fluorocarbon leader!    :grin:

 

Roger

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There isn't any such thing as a universal or panacea fishing line. One reason is everyone has different experiences and fishes differently.

Most big bass anglers have heard of Bucth Brown and watched his vedio's catching giant bass using big swimbaits. I know Butch and he tests line all the time and I was surprised that after testing every line on the market for swimbaits he settled on Seaguar InvisX 20 lb. for his Deps 250. I don't like InvisX 20lb and prefer Sunline Armillo Defier Nylon 25 lb. Butch changes his line after every outing, I don't. Lots of variables to consider. Jig fishing in deep rocky structure clear lakes I use Sunline 14 lb Super green Sniper, changed from Shooter do to cost and no change in performance.

Trial and error is what bass fishing is all about.

Tom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tell you what, i hang around here long enough i may learn something lol. Thanks for the feedback guys

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, J Francho said:

 

I'm constantly trying new line. Some is in service to our members. I owe it to us to report back on what our sponsors have sent us to evaluate. In other cases, I purchase line based on your recommendations. It's a two way street. I probably have a dozen different brands strung up.  Love it!

 

I have a number of brands in use, too. This is what I like right now:

 

Mainline fluorocarbon for a jig rod and weighted soft plastic: Seaguar Tatsu #12 & #15

Braid/ fluorocarbon leader: Seaguar Smackdown/ remnant Tatsu or AbrazX #17 for baitcasting;

spinning:  Yo-Zuri Hybrid #6 or InvizX #8.

Treble Hooks: Sunline Shooter Defier Armilo #10 & #12

 

:easter-119:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

These last 2 years i have been fishing more and more. Pretty much quit hunting deer to hunt largemouth. After much research early last spring, i put flouro on all my setups besides my spinning rod, by may i had switched to all braid with fc leaders if needed. Loved it. This winter i got a wild hair and and bought enough p-line cxx to stretch from Southern indiana to mexico lol. Now i have braid in my cart on ebay about to switch back again...am i crazy or am i just a fisherman that is exploring my options?

 

Sounds like a little of both, to me :lol: You'll settle on something eventually - at least most people do - lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RoLo said:

I liked your idea of using braided line with a fluorocarbon leader.

In fact, I would make only one small change, I'd ditch the fluorocarbon leader!    :grin:

 

Roger

LOL.  I agree about ditching the fluoro leader.  I don't tend to use a lot of flurorcarbon, even thought people tell me I'm "missing out" on... something. I'm not sure what.  I use braid a lot and a mono leader for things like drop shotting and Carolina rigging.  I do have a couple reels with mono, too, but I use about half mono and half copolymer for presentations I don't use braid for. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having similar issues.  lol

 

I started with Trilene XT.  I then tried some 15lb SpiderWire, then Flourocast, then Nanofil, then Fireline, then Fireline with Flourocast leader...

 

Now I'm going to be trying out Sufix 832 with and without a leader (10lb on a spinning setup).

 

I've not erally "disliked" any of them (aside from the SpiderWire) but have been curious as to what the others are all about and if I'd notice anything different or better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why do you want to change all of your reels? use both braid and FC on depending on what its for. mono too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Thats what i am gonna do. Braid for jigs, flipping, and spinning tackle. Copolymer for my moving baits, and fc for cranking. 

3 minutes ago, bigfruits said:

why do you want to change all of your reels? use both braid and FC on depending on what its for. mono too!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, WRB said:

There isn't any such thing as a universal or panacea fishing line. One reason is everyone has different experiences and fishes differently.

Most big bass anglers have heard of Bucth Brown and watched his vedio's catching giant bass using big swimbaits. I know Butch and he tests line all the time and I was surprised that after testing every line on the market for swimbaits he settled on Seaguar InvisX 20 lb. for his Deps 250. I don't like InvisX 20lb and prefer Sunline Armillo Defier Nylon 25 lb. Butch changes his line after every outing, I don't. Lots of variables to consider. Jig fishing in deep rocky structure clear lakes I use Sunline 14 lb Super green Sniper, changed from Shooter do to cost and no change in performance.

Trial and error is what bass fishing is all about.

Tom

 

Butch actually uses 20 lb. AbrazX , not invisx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you dont have already, get some kvd line and lure conditioner. looks like a gimmick but its not. use it on the copoly and FC before you head out to the water.

 

for some reason i rather fish a supple 6# FC for finesse spinning than braid. 

 

id recommend trying sniper FC for moving baits, shooter FC for jig/worms and Tatsu for anything when it is on sale. Defier is great for topwater and im long overdue for trying Armilo for moving baits but i cant recommend it.. yet.

 

i think you will find something you will like above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...