toni63

Staging Catches for Fishing Shows

45 posts in this topic

Hope this doesn't start anything further about a thread that was shut down, for good reasons, but one thing did stand out to me was the comments about staged catches for celebrities on fishing shows. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. These production crews only have a short space of time to be on the water with these guys and the anglers have busy schedules too, so staging a catch for the camera may be the only way to make it work.

And to me, I really could care less whether big time angler guy actually hooked that fish legitimately while they were there filming it or not, my bet is they have done the exact same thing thousands of times with no cameras rolling to catch the moment. The thing is, it's entertainment, so a little creative license to "recreate" moments those guys have actually had thousands of times for my viewing pleasure is something I can overlook for the sake of being entertained.

I would rather see them fight thru a slow day than see fake "reality tv" crap.

Learn a lot more seeing the real thing instead of watching someone catch fish.

13 people like this

The sound effects are my peeve.  Same with the crazy angles for hooksets.  Cast to catch videos are for more compelling. 

1 person likes this

I've already fought through hundreds of slow days, nothing much for me to learn there. However, when they are reeling in their staged catches, they are also talking about the techniques, lures, presentations, lake and weather conditions and other general stuff they take into consideration to fish that way in particular conditions. So the footage of the catch itself isn't what I am watching for anyway. 

Besides, there is always MLF for reality bass fishing TV. Nothing better than that. :)

2 people like this

So you have learned all there is to know? The TTP's during a hard day a bit are a lot more beneficial than just watching someone catch fish for the show. How the pro's go about breaking down what is going on, what they change and when are valuable  information.

1 person likes this

Well, the formula is: describe a technique or bait, demonstrate using it, catch fish with it.  So, that will always be edited down in that order, and it may not have happened in that order.

2 people like this

I've begun some video production myself and have had to consider how to entertain viewers long enough to get concepts across and the best ways to demonstrate things that are not often easy to see.

I understand the use of "artistic license" but that's a potentially slippery slope -esp where there's ego or money and advertising involved. The use of private or other guaranteed fisheries to look like a "big time fisherman", to sell a product, or even demonstrate a concept -without acknowledging that the viewers "results may vary"- is disingenuous in my mind. Nobody likes to feel duped, or BS'd. I think the popularity of reality shows and Youtube is the authenticity, while many canned shows are becoming less appealing. We all are curious and want to learn, and we all have BS meters wired in. 

So, at least for me, the trick is demonstrating content while maintaining authenticity. I would never be comfortable pretending, much less cheating or lying. Hey, I know a big budget show has to produce fish, but private managed waters, guaranteed fisheries, or fake catches, don't necessarily, or even often, address the fishing most of us do. They can, but an important part of that demonstration is often conveniently left out.

I will use "artistic license" for illustration purposes. In a piece on fishing a swim jig I catch a large bass on an acceleration in the retrieve. I edited in a clip of the same jig underwater, paused and then accelerating way from the camera -a bass's eye view. Now, that jig shot was shot a few days later.

I'll also use artistic license "to take you there". A neat part of 1st person video fishing is feeling like you too are there. An example was in a piece during which I talk about choosing where to make your first cast, and cut away to a bass underwater holding in a brush pile. I cast to a brush pile and catch a bass. Not the same bass, even the same brushpile, but the cutaway breaks up the scene and makes it more interesting. Gotta balance content with entertainment or viewing interest.

I enjoy watching vids of people fish, but must admit that viewing can get a little slow watching someone casting and retrieving from one angle for very long -the time it takes to catch fish, much less a bunch of them. I like to show retrieves -how I'm retrieving a lure and why. So the viewer has to watch one or more complete retrieves at times. And I want to show a number of fish caught, to show that the  technique or circumstance is not an anomaly.

Can't make everyone happy I guess. There are those who want the details and those who just want to be entertained. It's tough -or takes extra work- to do both. But for me it's important to honestly address the reason viewers are watching in the first place. If that's pure fantasy entertainment, they can always flip the channel.

8 people like this

Unless it's a show for an actual fishing tournament the show will most likely not be 100% real.  Many things if not the majority are staged.  If they didn't then they'd have an incredibly boring show or they'd have so much time and money spent trying to get the best scenes.  I have no issues with it because that's just the nature of TV.  This is one of the reasons I prefer watching MFL tourneys because it feels like more real fishing and not always one big infomercial.

My dad has his own film production company and has made commercials, movies and even made a pilot for a reality TV show.  After seeing his promo video I realized how much those reality shows are scripted.  It's far from reality but it's the only way to really make it entertaining.

3 hours ago, toni63 said:

I've already fought through hundreds of slow days, nothing much for me to learn there. However, when they are reeling in their staged catches, they are also talking about the techniques, lures, presentations, lake and weather conditions and other general stuff they take into consideration to fish that way in particular conditions. So the footage of the catch itself isn't what I am watching for anyway. 

Besides, there is always MLF for reality bass fishing TV. Nothing better than that. :)

you do realize when they're reeling in a staged catch and talking about the lure its probably bull right 

Back in the day - when 'The Staged' production was the only game in town.  That's all we knew.

Well, that's pretty much over with.  The advent of 'live' fishing broadcasts will forever change the way we watch our fishing.

This was a good one from last week.  

A-Jay

5 people like this

Jeremy Smith from Lindners Angling Edge spoke at an event put on my fishing club. He spoke about how they film their fishing shows. They use some tanks to film fish under water, or show lure action, but other than that, everything else is real. No staged catches. 

There is a show named Carolina Outdoor Journal that comes on NC public television where the host admits to having to delete hours and even weeks of footage because nothing happened. He goes on the boat and does the video production then acts as a host in the studio replaying the footage he has gathered. He;s always honest about the struggles and I love the show for that reason.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Back in the day - when 'The Staged' production was the only game in town.  That's all we knew.

Well, that's pretty much over with.  The advent of 'live' fishing broadcasts will forever change the way we watch our fishing.

This was a good one from last week.

Agreed. But... three plus hours? I think a little editing and production might be helpful in that case. One would have to be dire-hard -angler or screen watcher, I'm not sure which.

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, Paul Roberts said:

Agreed. But... three plus hours? I think a little editing and production might be helpful in that case. One would have to be dire-hard -angler or screen watcher, I'm not sure which.

I can totally appreciate the raw, unedited presentation where very little is lost in the translation of reality.

Which really just means,yea, I watched the whole thing.

:smiley:

A-Jay

3 people like this

One of your comments to me about my videos was that you wished I'd done less editing; the loss of potential insights. If everyone was like you A-Jay, we wouldn't need to edit. Sure would save me a heck of a lot of work. :)

2 people like this

44 minutes ago, Paul Roberts said:

One of your comments to me about my videos was that you wished I'd done less editing; the loss of potential insights. If everyone was like you A-Jay, we wouldn't need to edit. Sure would save me a heck of a lot of work. :)

Perhaps Paul. 

Then again, if everyone was like me, I would probably wouldn't have an accent.

Additionally the comfy white jackets with the sleeves that buckle would need to be available in more sizes than just mine. 

:smiley:

A-Jay

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Scott F said:

Jeremy Smith from Lindners Angling Edge spoke at an event put on my fishing club. He spoke about how they film their fishing shows. They use some tanks to film fish under water, or show lure action, but other than that, everything else is real. No staged catches. 

Would you expect anything less from the Lindners?

Scott, Since you're local, did you catch Frank Hyla's show from 2 years ago when he had Ike as a guest? It was filmed on Long Lake the day after the Brian Bickel charity tourney on Bangs Lake. The "Cast Crew" did the production for the show and did a poor job editing Ike hamming it up for the camera. A viewer shouldn't be able to tell  the fisherman is hamming it up. Ike fought every fish an extra minute or 2 for the camera....and they never edited it out. 

No one has mentioned Facts Of Fishing with Dave Mercer. Supposedly his show is a day on the water, edited to show him catching. But at the end of the show they tally the casts, catches and hours they took. Sometimes it's 8 hours. I'd be dead on my feet after 8 hours standing.

9 hours ago, the reel ess said:

No one has mentioned Facts Of Fishing with Dave Mercer. Supposedly his show is a day on the water, edited to show him catching. But at the end of the show they tally the casts, catches and hours they took. Sometimes it's 8 hours. I'd be dead on my feet after 8 hours standing.

No one mentioned Fish Fishburne, and all the editing in the world wouldn't make his shows watchable

2 people like this

On 4/21/2017 at 2:33 PM, Scarborough817 said:

you do realize when they're reeling in a staged catch and talking about the lure its probably bull right 

I take anything any fisherman says with a pinch of salt. The only category I can think of with a worse reputation for lying about what they did are politicians.

2 people like this

This is the reason I like Major League Fishing so much.  With the sudden death set up, the pro's are using what works for them without the sponsor concerns.  They are throwing their go to baits all the time, and thrilled with a two pound bass, like many of us normal folks.  I will watch MLF, in place of any staged video show driven by the sponsor sales.  It is a refreshing tournament set up.

5 people like this

14 hours ago, slonezp said:

No one mentioned Fish Fishburne, and all the editing in the world wouldn't make his shows watchable

Yah.....I think he needs one more "fish" in his name     :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

On 4/22/2017 at 11:23 AM, the reel ess said:

No one has mentioned Facts Of Fishing with Dave Mercer.

Fantastic video work, but I can't stand to watch him (or even listen to him)...plus he has no clue what structure is :lol:

14 hours ago, slonezp said:

I'm probably one of the few who enjoyed his show. The childish antics could get old, but buried in all of it were some fantastic tidbits of learning.

23 minutes ago, geo g said:

This is the reason I like Major League Fishing so much.  With the sudden death set up, the pro's are using what works for them without the sponsor concerns.  They are throwing their go to baits all the time, and thrilled with a two pound bass, like many of us normal folks.  I will watch MLF, in place of any staged video show driven by the sponsor sales.  It is a refreshing tournament set up.

Have to agree...while still edited and sponsored, I think it's the purest form of fishing entertainment on the air right now, and certainly having some influence within the industry.

-T9

4 people like this

29 minutes ago, Team9nine said:
59 minutes ago, geo g said:

Have to agree...while still edited and sponsored, I think it's the purest form of fishing entertainment on the air right now, and certainly having some influence within the industry.

Well said. Fully agree.

13 hours ago, toni63 said:

I take anything any fisherman says with a pinch of salt. The only category I can think of with a worse reputation for lying about what they did are politicians.

How about the politician that fishes :lol: