dan94

Swimjigs trailer or no trailer?

Not on purpose I haven't. 

I caught fish with trailerless bitsy bugs as a kid. Nowadays I'd definitely put a trailer on. You can put almost anything behind a swim jig. Personally, I like a 5" grub or a small swimbait.

A trailer adds profile and sensory attraction to a swimjig.

Always use a trailer, at the very least, a twin tail.

No.

My favorite is a Rage Tail Shellcracker

:happy-111:

I've used...

Small swim bait

Twin tailed grubs

Fluke

But my favorite is a ribbon tail worm

Mike

20 hours ago, bigturtle said:

no, that sounds pointless

Do you always use a trailer on a spinnerbait ? cuz to me a swimjig is a spinnerbait without blades.

3 hours ago, dan94 said:

Do you always use a trailer on a spinnerbait ? cuz to me a swimjig is a spinnerbait without blades.

Ya but a spinnerbait has the blades for attraction.

4 hours ago, dan94 said:

I always use a trailer on a spinnerbait as well. 4"-5" swimbait. 

14 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

I always use a trailer on a spinnerbait as well. 4"-5" swimbait. 

I might have to try this when the weather turns.

It seems and feels "oh so wrong" throwing a jig without a trailer, but if the profile is right, bass will definitely eat a swim jig without one. I've spent several days doing this to prove it to myself after a rather unorthodox fishing friend of mine matched me fish for fish one day, trailer vs. trailerless, just to prove the point. Was eye opening for me.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Frenchman83 said:

I might have to try this when the weather turns.

It's great shortly after ice out as well. Slow rolling a 1/2 or 3/4 ounce shad patterned spinner bait with a white or pearl 5 inch swimbait bouncing off the bottom.  

Have  you guys tried one of those swim jigs with a blade attached the hook, kind a like a trailer-hook would be on a spinnerbait?  I threw some of the blades I keep rigged up for  MJ rigs on a swimjig one day and got a bunch of followers and a hit or two.  But I didn't have a good way of keeping the blades on the hook, so after I lost my fourth or fifth one I gave it up.

I keep meaning to pick up some of the premade way trailer-blade jigs, or at least rig up a better way to retain the blades, but I have yet to get around to either. 

6 hours ago, Team9nine said:

I've spent several days doing this to prove it to myself after a rather unorthodox fishing friend of mine matched me fish for fish one day, trailer vs. trailerless, just to prove the point. 

If it's the angler I think you're talking about, this guy would fish a buzzbait on the bottom like a jig, just to prove you wrong if you said it wouldn't work.  And he would probably catch fish doing it.:wacko:

On 2017-08-09 at 11:32 PM, bigturtle said:

Ya but a spinnerbait has the blades for attraction.

Ya but if im gonna fish a swimjig like a spinnerbait its cuz i dont want all that flash i want a more subtle bait or else i would just use a spinnerbait

6 minutes ago, dan94 said:

Ya but if im gonna fish a swimjig like a spinnerbait its cuz i dont want all that flash i want a more subtle bait or else i would just use a spinnerbait

ok, you go do that.

2 minutes ago, bigturtle said:

ok, you go do that.

ok, im sure you can find something on here that explains ways to fish a swimjig incase you dont know

28 minutes ago, dan94 said:

ok, im sure you can find something on here that explains ways to fish a swimjig incase you dont know

I know to put a trailer on mine if that's what you are saying :lol:

Swim jigs are my number one confidence bait in still water, bluegill color with a pit boss/devil spear in gp rigged sideways

I have thrown Swim Jigs without trailers many times, usually because it falls off, or I am walking a shoreline and do not want to walk back to my truck to get more.

You will catch plenty of fish naked if they want a moving bait. The Point of the trailer is to change the profile/Action, I still use a trailer because that is what looks best to me plus it's industry standard." Hook up percentage is much better when you don't have a trailer imo. A good skirt helps, sometimes a trailer gets in the way, if conditions are right, you will be surprised if you throw it a few times.

If they are feeding on shad and you tie on a white jig, not sure you need a trailer, but good luck finding any tackle company, magazine suggest trying a jig without a trailer. 

Most people do not use a trailers on Hair Jig/Bucktails which are fished like a swim jig or any jig for that matter. I know you Why would silicone be different? I never used trailers on Spinnerbaits until a few years ago. Caught just as many fish as I do with a trailer, maybe not the same size, but different profiles/Thump can be important. Experiment, Throw it with a grub, craw, then take it off and I bet you will have different results every time, I wouldn't put money on any of the 3 to work better. Just my take. 

I am guilty of buying every new soft bait and doing what everyone does, but sometimes you find new tricks by accident, bass see swim jigs all summer long, that is why I think it works well some days. Offshore fishing is tough, I still am learning, but vibration/Profile/Speed all seems to be important, same with exact depth. I swim/Jig hair jigs and have never thought about a trailer.

• Like 2

Almost never but I can see it working. 

Allen